Highlighting Text in Comments Centers the Page

dano2l

17 Feb, 2020 06:47 AM

I frequently highlight text in the comments (select it with the mouse) either to make it easier to read or to copy a phrase for a google search. Doing so creates a box around the comment which then centers on the page. This is EXTREMELY annoying and I can't figure out any reason for it to function that way. Can you turn that "feature" off?

Actually, it looks like clicking anywhere on comments centers them. This only seems to happen on the desktop browser which makes it even more pointless. And it's even more annoying when the comment is multiple paragraphs long.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Feb, 2020 11:04 PM

Hello, and thanks for making this observation.

You are correct that with the new-style comment style, the attempt to highlight some text within a given comment winds up selecting the entire comment. (Here, selecting means that the comment as a whole is singled out and boxed in orange, as you have found, and the comment-specific URL is displayed in the address bar.) I don't know whether this result is a necessary one under the new design, but I can find out.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Capture.JPG 112 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac