Old vs new comments

elenacarlena

16 Feb, 2020 06:21 AM

Please, please fix that bug!! The new comments are lousy for two big reasons: They cause the page to jump up and down. And they don't register when some comments have already been read. So I might have 70 comments in my diary and I read 65 of them, but using the J will no longer take me to just the comments I have not yet read. So I have to scroll to every single comment every time! Meanwhile, the whole page is rapidly jumping in front of my eyes. So I prefer Old Comments. But then I can't see comments at all on some diaries! Which doesn't make sense - why isn't it an every-diary-or-no-diary thing?? Why are front pagers and some rec list authors unaffected, whilst us lesser knowns struggle?

Please. There is no acceptable workaround. I have to respond to comments in my own diaries. But the new comments give me jumpy, and in short order extremely tired, eyelids! We're not avoiding the new comment style just to be contrary. It's not working correctly!

1. 1 Posted by siab on 16 Feb, 2020 09:09 AM

Until they get a fix, there's a workaround - it just takes a little getting used to.

You can't just scroll through the comments originally, you need to make sure that every comment you read is selected (box around the comment), and that you continue using shift-j after yoiu've read everything, to pick up the comments that for some reason didn't get marked as read originally. Sometimes you will have to run through two or three times, but it cleans things up so that you will only get the newer comments the next time through.

Using the j and. shift-j keys all the time also gets rid of the majority of the jittering, which is caused by new comments loading while you're scrolling, and doesn't happen when you're selecting each comment on the list, or going to the next unread one.

It's a pain, but it only takes a couple of weeks of practice before it's almost as easy as scrolling used to be. Sigh.

2. 2 Posted by elenacarlena on 16 Feb, 2020 09:36 PM

Many thanks, siab! I will give that a try! 
    ec

above

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Feb, 2020 10:06 PM

Appreciate the suggestion, siab.
    Sorry for the frustration, elenacarlena. Good thing you asked, as it turns out.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2020 10:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac