Account set up problem - US zip code(s) not recognized

TomSkates (unverified)

08 Feb, 2020 04:58 PM

Hi, in attempting to set up an account at 11:51 EST 01/08/2020, today, I encountered an error during "sign up" - could not be verified - which, when attempting to sign up on a different page, through another portal, realized the reference was the zip code I was using. I tried several other US zip codes - no luck. Any thoughts? Thank you. TomSkates

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Feb, 2020 10:28 PM

Hello, and thanks for your inquiry. Sorry for the delayed reply; Helpdesk is closed on weekends and holidays.

I do see that the email you used to create this Helpdesk ticket is not yet associated with a username. Did you happen to use another email for the process, successfully?

I am not sure where the problem arises, especially because I'm not sure about the exact error message you see. I do want to ask you to check one more aspect of account creation, if you don't mind, even though it's not related to zip code entry. It concerns your password.

We have a few stipulations about a password: 1) it must be at least 8 characters long and 2) it can't be on this list of the most commonly-used passwords

If you still have trouble creating an account even with this information in hand, then please feel free to return. A screenshot of the error message that appears for you would help our diagnosis.

Thanks for your support of the site.

2. 2 Posted by Thomas Kerr (un... on 11 Feb, 2020 01:00 AM

Hi, thank you for the response. I am attaching a screen shot of the “could not be verified” zip code.
    Please let me know if I am doing something incorrectly.

regards,
    TomSkates

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Feb, 2020 01:59 AM

Excellent. Thank you.

My next suggestion is to use a private/incognito window for your sign-up attempt. It's a distinct possibility that you have an add-on or extension that is interfering with the site's execution of the process. Using private/incognito mode generally disables such extensions, though some still do slip through.

Lastly, I'd suggest you check the privacy settings on your browser. I can't of course vouch for the process that any site uses when verifying a user, but since this seems to be an issue for you across the board, my suspicion is that your privacy settings are so restricted that routine cookies associated with an account registration are being blocked.

While you check these possibilities, I'll see if there are other circumstances that would trigger this particular error message.

Thanks for your persistence.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac