At some diaries, I can't see the comments-thread and can't tell if my comments are posting or not.

mettle fatigue

31 Jan, 2020 07:24 AM

This is not a pressing issue for me, but it's kind of weird and might be a sign of something bigger, so I thought I should report it.

Over the past week or, with 3 different diaries gotten from my activity stream, the comment thread is not being displayed (or not to me, anyway). The most recent one is here https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/30/1915189/-GA-Sen-B-BREAKING-Stacey-Abrams-D-Just-Endorsed-Rev-Raphael-Warnock-D-For-U-S-Senate My apologies for not saving links for the others.

The only thing that shows after the end of the diary is the usual top-of-thread "leave a comment" box. The couple of times I've experimented with using it, the wide black bar at the very foot of every page ---the one that starts with
              © Kos Media, LLC
              Site content may be used for any purpose without
              explicit permission unless otherwise specified.
             "Kos" and "Daily Kos" are registered trademarks of
             Kos Media, LLC.
              Privacy Policy
---rises abruptly and covers even that space. and the comment count doesn't seem to change, so I guess my comments posted that way are not, well, posting.

Each time I've encountered a diary without its comments thread, I've tried going back to my activity stream to fetch it again, but the thread still doesn't appear. I've also tried getting them from the RecentDiaries page, with the same result. Just now, having waited 15 or so minutes, I went to try and fetch it again, and still no comment thread. I can get other diaries with intact comment thread immediately after each of these, so it doesn't seem to be related to a specific time, I guess...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 Jan, 2020 02:15 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking. I'm guessing you're on old comments; this bug has been affecting users for about two weeks.

There is an easy workaround (easy, that is, if you can tolerate the new comments mode). Two workarounds, actually: one that is global, for all stories on the site, and one that is particular to a given story.

To set the display of ALL comments in EVERY story to be in the new mode, go to this variation of the home page URL: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/true As you may know, this is now the default display, but if you're loading old-style comments routinely now at some point you went to this version instead: https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false

Using this global true/false is the easiest way to switch. But there is also a way to change the comment display mode on individual stories. To do so requires a little more precision in altering a story URL.
    To have an individual story display its comments in the NEW mode, add this string to the end of the story URL: ?new_comments=true
    Thus, after you add that string, a URL from a recent story by Mark Sumner will look like this:
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/23/1913464/-Trump-s-trial-day-one-A-masterclass-from-House-Democrats-and-empty-seats-from-Senate-Republicans?new_comments=true Changing the setting for an individual story will not affect whatever you have for the global setting. (The reversal of this setting is of course to replace true with false.)

There is a little wrinkle to know if you wind up needing to switch a non-FP story to show the NEW comments. If a Community story has gained enough recommendations, it may have another little string starting with a ? after the story title. Don't worry about it; you can still append the ?new_comments=true string to the very end. Just make sure you don't cut off any of the URL before you stick that part on.

We have identified the bug, but we have a lot happening behind the scenes right now and don’t know how soon we can address it. Thanks for your understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience.

2. 2 Posted by Kysen on 31 Jan, 2020 04:22 PM

Just wanted to second what seems to be a known issue. In the past 24hrs I've been unable to view the comments on 2 of Mark Sumner's newest diaries.

I can view comments everywhere else, so dunno if it helps troubleshooting behind the scenes to know that it is Mark Sumner's diaries in particular that is giving me this particular problem.

Keep up the good work! :)

3. 3 Posted by mettle fatigue on 01 Feb, 2020 12:16 AM

Thank you, staff -- copied your instructions into a storage draft. I keep the new/old comments switch handy as it is, since new-style is poorer quality in terms of time-efficiency and eye-strain because of requiring label-reading rather than allowing simple signal-response.

Sorry about your workload. Hoping increased tech staff becomes budgetable before too long, since work is more likely to grow than shrink.

Thanks again.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac