Trouble Saving a Draft

SFSister

28 Jan, 2020 02:16 AM

Hello Again, Support Staff,
For a couple of days, I've been trying to save a draft of diary I've written for the Kos Deadhead group, but the Saving Draft message didn't go away. Finally, yesterday, after I clicked the menu to select the group and clicked Save, I got the Saved! Message. I then scheduled a date (tomorrow), and clicked Save. I got the Saved message again. But apparently, the draft still isn't available for perusing by the group editor I wanted to preview it, so I suppose it wasn't saved after all. So I tried again today, and got the continuing Saving Draft... message again.

I assume it's me, right?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 28 Jan, 2020 03:35 PM

Good morning.

We realize that the publication to a group queue is not a transparent process. But once you do know it then it should seem a little more logical.

To put a story in a group queue, you need to choose the group name from the "Add a publish group" button on the story draft page. Since you're only in one group that makes the choice easy! The group name should show up immediately under that button.

That's all you need to do. As long as the group name appears there, then any Editor of that group can see it in the group queue and open it to read and revise it. Any save that happens from that point on will override previous versions, whether you do it or an editor does. But scheduling a publication date from your own draft window will NOT carry over to the group queue at all. The publication processes are independent.

So, I should note right now: If you do NOT want your story to post today without any review, you need to go back to your story draft window, click on Schedule for later, and then click on the little orange down arrow that appears to choose the Unschedule option.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to return if you have more questions.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2020 03:35 PM.

3. SFSister re-opened this discussion on 28 Jan, 2020 07:53 PM

4. 2 Posted by SFSister on 28 Jan, 2020 07:53 PM

Thanks so much, especially for the warning. I followed your advice, and it looks like the piece is finally queued. I really appreciate your help and patience.

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 7:35:19 AM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. 3 Posted by SFSister on 28 Jan, 2020 08:39 PM

Here we go again. I see that whenever I choose the Deadhead group to queue the draft to, the Saving Draft message never completes. When it was saved last time, because I had chosen the Deadhead group, I thought it was queued to that group, but no, it was queued to me. It won't save the draft to the Deadhead group -- it's cycling on the Saving Draft message as I write.

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 7:35:19 AM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Jan, 2020 02:29 AM

Hmm. Sorry I didn't see your follow-up earlier.

So the next possibility (and I regret not mentioning this before) is that perhaps you don't yet have a (well-formed) tag on your draft. It is not possible to queue a story or schedule it for later publication unless it has at least one tag.

I actually think that there should be an error message if this is the case for your draft now, so if there isn't we'll need to address that absence.

If that's not it, then we'll have to think of other possibilities.

7. 5 Posted by SFSister on 29 Jan, 2020 04:05 AM

Thanks for yet another swift response. My piece does have a tag, just one, but it's there. And I was able to schedule the piece for later publication. But every time I  click on the DeadHead group and select it, then click the Save Draft button, the Saving Draft message keeps showing and doesn't conclude. I tried again as I'm writing this, and the same thing is happening. I assume it's me, but I followed your instructions (which were the same as I got from the DH group editor), and it still won't save to the group, though I was able to change the schedule date.
    I'm sorry -- I must sound like a broken record.

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 6:29:22 PM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

8. 6 Posted by mettle fatigue on 29 Jan, 2020 08:35 AM

Just adding my 2 cents, clicking "save" doesn'to queue a draft to a group (i.e., put it in the group's publishing queue)..What the "save" button does is replace your previous work on a draft with your most recent version of it.

In case it helps, here's a kind of tutorial diary that might help. It has some illustrations of the big honking orange&black "toolbox" which can make things clearer, and step by step instructions. How2 Q Drafts to Groups You're In, to Publish'em There; & How2 Republish/Reblog Diaries too https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/2/11/1632701/-How-to-Queue-Your-Draft-to-a-Group-You-re-In-In-Order-to-Publish-it-There-How2Republish-too

I don't know if anyone on staff has seen that diary, tho'. I'm often able to get online by around 2pm and stay a little while before going back to the RL tasks of the day -- feel free to kosmail to me if you find the diary helping but any stuck points occurring midway.

The admins of that group are pretty nice people and some of them quite skilled, I believe, and I believe Otteray Scribe and sockpuppet are often online quite early in the day -- maybe they can assist too, at least enough to confirm if/when you get your draft queued there.

BTW, a queue is kind of like an additional chute for sending a copy (so to speak) of your diary to a group for posting there, besides at your own page. So if you have endless trouble queuing an unpublished-as-yet-draft to a group you're in, another way to be posted there is to just post it to your own page, and afterward queue it to the group by using the Add to Blog button near the top left margin of your diary.

If you want the phrase "for the Kos Deadheads and Friends group" to follow your name as author up top, tho', you do need to queue your unpublished draft to the group as the tutorial diary explains, by using the orange&black toolbox's Add A Publish Group to display the group name and click on it (also as the tutorial explains and shows with illustrations) and then either use the "Schedule Later" section of the orange&black toolbox, or else click on the group name you just got to display, in order to slide yrself down the chute to the group queue and hit "Publish Now" at the right end of the line where your draft is displayed. Then just close the tab that your draft was in, and look at the group blogview page to make sure it's become a published/posted diary there. It'll be at your own blogview page too, of course.

Hoping this helps.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Jan, 2020 04:20 PM

Thanks, mettle, for elaborating. Good to know you already had a tag, SFS.

Correct--the SAVE DRAFT button has nothing at all to do with the queuing or the publishing process. It simply overwrites any previous version of the story.

Thus, when you have put the draft into the group queue, you don't need to save the story again, UNLESS you have made some changes to it. That sequence of 1) opening the drop-down and 2) choosing your group is all that you need to do to put the draft into the Deadheads queue. In other words: don't click SAVE again right after you do the group queue selection. There's nothing new to save, in fact, until you edit the draft again.

I wonder if something interferes with the process when you click SAVE DRAFT immediately after putting the story into the queue. I can check that out. What browser and operating system do you use?

Mettle is also correct in saying you can skip the queue-to-group part and choose the add-to-blog option later. But in that case you won't have that neat little caption attached to your byline. The story must be published from the group queue for the caption to be added.

10. 8 Posted by SFSister on 29 Jan, 2020 11:39 PM

Thank you both, but following the instructions didn't work for me. I reopened the draft, chose Kos DH group, then left the page. It's still queued to SFSister in the list. I've read the link posted by mettle, and the stuff I'm supposed to see isn't there -- when I click publish to a group, I don't see the "queue/notes" message in the right sidebar. Also, step 3 of the instructions for queuing to a group does say to click Save Draft after you've selected the group (the instruction is above the illustration of the orange and black box). I'm also having trouble deciphering the kos jargon. I don't know what "post to your own page" means, or "kosmail me", nor do I have see an "Add to Blog" button. I'm sure it's me, folks, and I appreciate your patience. All I want to do is have Ottoray have a look and bless or nix the draft, then publish the damn thing if he okays it.
    He did tell me that I could send my Word doc of the piece to an email address. I might do that, or just give up. It seems the Universe doesn't want me to publish this piece. Maybe it knows something I don't.
    But bless you both so much for your help and patience. I would have given up on my questions long since.

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 8:20:51 AM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

11. 9 Posted by mettle fatigue on 30 Jan, 2020 03:44 AM

Sorry - yes, as a person who started working with computers in the '70s and then along came storage media, I'm constantly advising people to click "save" at every opportunity in order to encourage a habit. It doesn't affect queuing or publishing via a group queue. My apologies for that confusion.

Question: when you reopened the draft, chose the Deadhead group, and then left the page, did you mean you left the draft? If so, did you leave it by clicking ON the deadhead group name right there in the black&orange toolbox? That's what to do in order to get to the group queue (the "chute" to the group, so to speak, and the "shelf" at the end of it where drafts line up, waiting to be published/posted). When you are in the group queue/on the group's queue-page (same thing), then you can click on the Queue-notes section just below your draft there, and type whatever notes in there that you wish the other editors and admins in the group to read, in connection with your draft.

Oh, my apologies also for the jargon. How quickly we forget! Also that it's difficult to learn at first, but honestly after a little while it gets to be a breeze!

So, "Post[ed] to your own page" means publish[ed] at your own blogview page in dk, which is here https://www.dailykos.com/blog/SFSister and at your own diary list page, which is here https://www.dailykos.com/user/SFSister/history. Anytime you publish/post a diary anywhere in dk (e.g., at/within/on the blogview page of a group, such as the deadheads group blogview page here https://www.dailykos.com/blog/Kos%20Deadheads%20and%20Friends ) your diary automatically also is published/posted/displayed at your own pages.

Kosmail is the word for messaging within Daily Kos. Brace yourself, here's a tutorial about how to do that ■ Kosmail-Sending & Glitch Work-Arounds Rev’d.Ed’n ■ https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/3/5/1494715/-Hey-Tech-Team-Fix-the-Kosmail-System-Wouldja-Already-Please?_=2020-01-29T19:38:09.831-08:00 but what might be easier in your case at this moment is for me to kosmail to Otteray Scribe and ask him to kosmail to YOU. You'll see an alert at the envelope icon at the top of your blogview page, and an alert at the MESSAGES line in your WELCOMEBACK box on any/all of your other pages. Click on either of those to reach his message/kosmail to you, and you'll see it's very easy to reply. Hopefully that will start a message "thread" between you and him that may help, altho' I understand he has encountered some troubles in trying to help. So I can also kosmail to you myself, and that way at least you'll have little me in direct contact if you like, for another few hours this evening. (I don't know what time Otterary Scribe hits the hay -- I'm on the leftkost, but I think he's back east somewhere).
    Here we got!

12. 10 Posted by SFSister on 30 Jan, 2020 04:17 AM

Funny -- I started writing computer manuals in 1973 -- it was a new field, and they needed people with writing backgrounds. It was my bread-and-butter trade for over thirty years. I wrote user manuals and did procedural analysis.
    I thank you so much for your help. But the fact is, I already emailed the Word doc to Ottoray Scribe, who went to bed a while ago. He said he'd be up for another hour; i.e., until 9pm his time, but I didn't see the message til well after that, since I'm on the Left Coast, too, in San Francisco. He can look at it tomorrow and tell me what he thinks.
    But to answer your question, I don't think I did click ON the DH group name before I left the page. I assumed that clicking Saving Draft would do it, and instead got the endlessly recycling "Saving Draft..." message. After hearing from both you and the other kindly, very patient Kos staff person that I didn't need to click Save, I just left the page.
    And your information in this email is still useful if I continue to post diaries for the DH group, so your time has not been wasted!
    Alice

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 7:44:26 PM PST, mettle fatigue <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

13. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Jan, 2020 01:54 PM

Great. Thanks for your own patience and perseverance. It is indeed easy to forget what is jargon for the site, so I appreciate your reminder.

There is one more point of confusion, perhaps. I encourage you to pay no attention to the label beneath "Add a publish group" that says "Queue (notes)." You don't need it; the link is there to add editorial commentary or directions that do NOT affect the draft's place in the queue or its content.

But clicking on the Add a publish group button should then 1) show you the drop down and 2) give you the group name in orange for you to click and then 3) display your group name in white type after you choose (click on) it. That's all you should need to do to get the draft into the group queue.

If you do these steps and do NOT see the group name in white then we have a problem to investigate.

If we need to carry this further it may help for you to attach some screenshots as well.

14. 12 Posted by SFSister on 30 Jan, 2020 10:04 PM

Hello again, Mr/Ms. Kos Staff,Thank you again. I have clicked on the Add a publish group button, selected the Kos DH group, which then appears in white after a click on it. I have done this countless times. But it still doesn't show up in the Kos DH group queue.
    I've sent a hard copy to Ottoray, who shared it with Sockpuppet, and I'll be talking with him this evening. Hopefully, he can walk me through the procedure in real time. It will be helpful to have someone on hand to actually follow the procedure with me step-by-step, to see if I let something fall between the cracks. I assume it's me, because if it were a system problem, you'd be hearing from multiple people, no?
    I'll keep you posted.
    Alice

On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 5:54:54 AM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

15. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 Jan, 2020 02:19 PM

Thanks for the update!

Yes, alas, that's both good news and bad news. It does not appear to be affecting others. But, maybe it has/will, and they've just not reported it.

So the troubleshooting tips we suggest are to try this in a private/incognito window, since that will disable most extensions that somehow might be interfering with the process. Also, you can clear your cache for the site, which might be an issue too (though much less likely). You'll have to login again.

Please tell us the browser and operating system you're using; we'll test further if these don't do the trick.

16. 14 Posted by SFSister on 01 Feb, 2020 02:47 AM

And thanks for your response.
    I don't know what a private/incognito window means -- don't I have to do it under my own Kos profile?
    Ottoray tells me that if I just publish it, then click the Add to blog button and select the Kos DH group, it will do the same thing. What he also cleared up for me is that whether I queue it to Kos DH group from the black and orange box on the Draft page, or just click the Add to blog after I publish, it will still be viewable to the entire Kos readership. I thought queuing it to a group just made it visible to that group. Instead, he says it will just send an alert to the group members that there's a piece that might be of specific interest to them.

Is that the case? If so, there's no need for me to do anything else. I can just go ahead and publish, then click the Add to blog button and add the Kos DH group at that point.

I'm still vacillating about publishing the piece, because unlike my political pieces, this piece is personal, and contains personal information, and I'm almost obsessively private.
    I'm using the latest Firefox and my OS is Windows 10.
    Thanks again!

On Friday, January 31, 2020, 6:19:23 AM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

17. 15 Posted by mettle fatigue on 01 Feb, 2020 03:29 AM

Alice, what OS said about simply publishing yr diary and then using the AddToBlog button is essentially correct, but PLEASE be EXTREMELY CIRCUMSPECT about any personal information you put in ANY diary!!!! Almost nothing can be kept private or protected!!!!

DK is part of the internet. All kosaks can read all diaries here, and so can anyone outside DK. Begging you to be very very very careful.

18. 16 Posted by SFSister on 01 Feb, 2020 03:41 AM

Thank you! I'm very aware of that. So aware in fact, that I'm still not sure I'm going to publish it. It doesn't have a lot of personal information about me, but it does link to a piece I wrote years ago, and though my name is already out there in cyberspace, I'm still anonymous on Kos, so I'm very ambivalent about "coming out".

That being said, probably not a lot of Kossacks outside the DH group would be interested in reading it, and it would probably be buried in mass of political pieces, many of which have a lot of readers. But I'm going to let the piece sit in Draft limbo while I ponder the matter.
    Thanks again for your concern.

On Friday, January 31, 2020, 7:30:05 PM PST, mettle fatigue <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac