Comments in Mark Sumner’s diaries don’t load for me

BMScott

16 Jan, 2020 10:07 PM

As of yesterday I cannot load the comments in any of Mark Sumner’s diaries, including several in which know that I was previously able to do so; I have tested this on each of his last 12 diaries, linking from his profile page. I get only the number of comments, the usual pale grey Comment Settings link and control hints, and a blank comment box with my avatar. The problem does not affect any other diaries that I have loaded, whether by staff, on or off the front page, or by non-staff.

Aha! This may help: I have just now discovered that the problem occurs only when I use the old comments. Unfortunately, I find the new comments distinctly less usable.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Jan, 2020 10:12 PM

Thanks for asking, and thanks for that observation/diagnosis.

I wonder also whether it's related to a couple of other matters. One is that if you're on the site often, you might have an overfull cache. (It is curious, however, for this issue to occur only with Mark's posts.) So clearing your cache might make a difference. The other standard suggestion we make is to ask folks to try out the uncooperative link while on a private/incognito window. That can disable most though not all extensions, which often don't play well with our site code.

Is there any particular issue you have with using the new comments? The old ones aren't disappearing quite yet but eventually they will.

2. 2 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 17 Jan, 2020 04:16 PM

I'm having same issue with some diaries...can't see any comments.

macbook pro...latest OS...no add-ons...using 'old' comments.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2020 04:52 PM

Hi Glen. Could you please supply some links to the stories causing problems? It would help if we could ID some common aspects, if it's only affecting some stories for you (and others still using old comments).
    Thanks.

4. 4 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 17 Jan, 2020 05:10 PM

if I go to my most recent diary all I see is my tip jar.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/4/1909339/-Saturday-Morning-Home-Repair-1-4-2020

I first noticed when I looking to link an old diary of mine...but have seen it in diaries by other users...it is very hit and miss.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2020 05:22 PM

Thanks. Sorry, I forgot to ask what browser you're using. Safari? Chrome? It would be interesting if browser-specific. (Same OS/browser question applies for you, too, BMScott.)

6. 6 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 17 Jan, 2020 05:28 PM

safari.

besides keeping my OS updated to the latest version...I use no add-ons or ad blockers, etc.

I first noticed the problem on 1/14/20

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jan, 2020 05:45 PM

Excellent detail re onset date, thanks.

8. 8 Posted by BMScott on 17 Jan, 2020 08:55 PM

I’m running Ubuntu 18.04. I’ve observed the problem in both Firefox and Vivaldi, as well as in Silk on a Kindle Fire tablet. Firefox has uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger installed; Vivaldi currently has no add-ons. Clearing the cache in Vivaldi did not solve the problem.

Most of my objections to the new comments were mentioned by multiple people in the comments in elfling’s diaries, but there are a couple that may not have been.

If I write a comment that includes a link attached to text, I want to be able to test the link before I submit the comment. With the old comments I can do so: hovering over the link produces an Open link in new tab popup. So far as I can tell, there is no way to do so in the new comments.

When I look at a comment in the Hiddens, I very often find myself wanting to chain back up through that subthread in order to get more context. In the old comments this is easy: just click on the screen name of the person to whom the top comment was a reply. In the new comments I have yet to find any way to do it.

Oh, and there should be a way to force the load of all comments.

9. 9 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 18 Jan, 2020 04:00 PM

FYI...can't see comments in my home repair diary. can only see my tip jar. I wrote a comment but it disappeared when I hit 'preview'.

10. 10 Posted by belinda ridgewo... on 18 Jan, 2020 04:10 PM

I, too, am having this issue, with only a few diaries. One was Marko the Werelynx's diary yesterday, and another is Glen's diary as he noted above.
    I attach 2 screenshots. In the first, you can see the bottom of Glen's diary. It says there are 2 comments, but no comments appear. There's a little "Connecting.." at the bottom left, but nothing ever loads.
    Similarly, in the second: I tried going to Glen's comments page and opening the tip jar there, but it just shows the "Loading comments" message forever.
    I checked Marko's diary this morning to see if anything had changed with that, but it's the same. Other diaries, the comments load fine.
    It's interesting that two of us have had the issue with the same diary, but obviously other people are seeing the comments, because they are posting comments there.
    I am running Chrome, on a Chromebook.

11. 11 Posted by belinda ridgewo... on 18 Jan, 2020 04:14 PM

Hmm... I'm not seeing the attachments on my previous comment anywhere, so I'm going to try attaching them again in case I screwed it up.

12. 12 Posted by BMScott on 18 Jan, 2020 10:56 PM

A new datum: I just tried to load this comment in one of Mark’s diaries, linking from badger12’s comments page, and got only the header with the diary title and author and the Loading comments... box at the lower right.

13. 13 Posted by J Graham on 21 Jan, 2020 06:29 PM

Having the same problem in occasional diaries, but I can't detect a pattern regarding which diaries. When the problem happens, I can't see the comments section and can't post while in old style comments. I much prefer the old style comments. I use a MacBook Pro and Safari browser.

14. 14 Posted by gchaucer2 on 21 Jan, 2020 06:37 PM

Through BMScott I found this thread so will add my issue here rather than continue in the new one I just opened this a.m. I can't see or post comments in Mark Sumner's diaries only. This started today, 1/21/2020 which is unfortunate since he's addressing the removal trial issues. I am using Firefox and am fully updated.

15. 15 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 21 Jan, 2020 09:20 PM

odd. but I'm noticing this does seem to apply to Mark's most recent diaries.

but also some others

16. 16 Posted by gchaucer2 on 21 Jan, 2020 09:52 PM

Thanks for the response. So far I'm only seeing it with Mark's diaries.
    I've tried everything other than clearing my cache which I don't know how
    to do.

17. 17 Posted by bakeneko on 22 Jan, 2020 12:07 AM

Happening in Mark's diaries on both macOS Mojave in Firefox and Safari and on iOS in Safari. Even trying to view one of the Hidden comments in one of his diaries from the Hiddens page will not load, it just spins and says "Loading comments" forever.
    Going to the diary itself, there's the diary, but no comments at all, just the Tip Jar.

Also, as BMScott observed at the top of this thread (and as was the case last time this occurred), it is specific to the Old Comments, once I set the New Comments cookie, the comments are visible again.

For the moment, I guess I'll just have to live with it, as I really can't stand the New Comments style.

18. 18 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 22 Jan, 2020 03:14 AM

and doc dawg diaries...this is not the first time for me.

can you all see the comments in this diary..??

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/21/1912960/-In-North-Carolina-the-people-s-candidate-wins-a-game-changing-endorsement-the-people-s

19. 19 Posted by BMScott on 22 Jan, 2020 03:26 AM

Among DocDawg’s last 12 diaries I see the (old) comments only in this one, this one, and this one.

20. 20 Posted by Glen The Plumbe... on 22 Jan, 2020 03:28 AM

BMScott...same for me. I think this a clue.

21. 21 Posted by Eyesbright on 22 Jan, 2020 03:33 AM

Glen The Plumber, I can see those comments just fine. In fact, I seldom have any of the problems I see written about here and that puzzles me (note that I said "seldom," not "never").
    I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium, Firefox (latest rev.), running Ad Blocker Plus - but, and I suspect this is the key,
    **I clear my cache and history at the end of each day.** I suspect that helps immensely.
    I'm (grudgingly) using the New Comments.

22. 22 Posted by BMScott on 22 Jan, 2020 03:38 AM

Eyesbright, it appears to be the fact that you’re using the new comments that enables you to see the comments in those diaries.

23. 23 Posted by Eyesbright on 22 Jan, 2020 03:39 AM

Maureen O'D.

Here's a Wiki How article that should help you clear your cache. Note at the top of the article you choose which browser you're using so that you get the appropriate article. Hope this helps!

How to Clear Your Browser's Cache
    https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

24. 24 Posted by bakeneko on 22 Jan, 2020 03:51 AM

It has nothing to do with anyone’s cache.

It happens on multiple platforms with multiple browsers, but only if you are using the Old Comments setting.

If you have New Comments enabled, the comments display just fine.

On multiple platforms. With multiple browsers.

(As BMScott noted in the first comment at the top of this thread.)

25. 25 Posted by gchaucer2 on 22 Jan, 2020 02:54 PM

Thanks to Eyesbright for the cache clearing info. I cleared then rebooted then when I clicked on the DKos icon in Firefox, it kept returning to APR with the comments open!!! So I just typed in dkos.com and things back to normal but now in new comment format. I can, however, get into Mark's diary comments.

Thanks to all who are helping and commenting and I hope the other problems are soon resolved.

26. 26 Posted by Eyesbright on 22 Jan, 2020 10:18 PM

*Bakeneko* and *BM Scott*
    Please note that in the *very first reply* on this thread, *Daily Kos Staff* specifically mentioned an "Overfull Cache" as a probable cause or major contributing factor to the problem.

27. 27 Posted by BMScott on 22 Jan, 2020 10:32 PM

Eyesbright: And it has proved not to be. Clearing the cache does not solve the problem if one is using the old comments.

28. Support Staff 28 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Jan, 2020 12:17 AM

Hello everyone. It never ceases to surprise me how many ways that bugs can show up. Fascinating albeit annoying, of course.

We nearly always suggest some standard first steps (cache-clearing and incognito/private window test) simply to rule out interference as best as possible. In this case, excessive data storage or external code conflicts don't seem to be relevant.

This one is particularly puzzling because of the hard-to-categorize nature of the stories affected. The ideas I've tried out as possible explanations for some stories not loading comments while others work fine have not been predictive so far. (And yes, I do agree it's related to Lazy Comments one way or another.)

If anyone has ideas about patterns to suggest, feel free. Thanks.

29. 29 Posted by BMScott on 23 Jan, 2020 04:07 AM

No ideas, but a little more data: I have just discovered that the same problem occurs with at least the last 24 diaries by Black Max.

30. 30 Posted by bakeneko on 23 Jan, 2020 06:28 PM

Is there a difference in the scripts that are in the default diary template when someone creates a new blog/diary if one is using New Comments versus Old Comments? (Having never published one here, I don't even know what the template looks lilke.)

UPDATE: The only difference I could see was at line 58 in the source, which has to do with an "authenticity" token, and is different each time, so probably this is a wild goose chase. I'll let the comment stand anyway for reference.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac