Comments in Mark Sumner’s diaries don’t load for me

BMScott

16 Jan, 2020 10:07 PM

As of yesterday I cannot load the comments in any of Mark Sumner’s diaries, including several in which know that I was previously able to do so; I have tested this on each of his last 12 diaries, linking from his profile page. I get only the number of comments, the usual pale grey Comment Settings link and control hints, and a blank comment box with my avatar. The problem does not affect any other diaries that I have loaded, whether by staff, on or off the front page, or by non-staff.

Aha! This may help: I have just now discovered that the problem occurs only when I use the old comments. Unfortunately, I find the new comments distinctly less usable.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Jan, 2020 07:44 PM

Thanks, bakeneko. All ideas are welcome at this point.

2. 32 Posted by bakeneko on 24 Jan, 2020 04:45 PM

We're a week in now, and comments in Mark's diaries are still completely un-viewable unless I switch over to the New Comments style. Have you looked at the template his diaries are using to see if anything is different from what others are using?

One downside to this issue is that troll commenters are getting away with a lot of their garbage not getting flagged in Mark's diaries, because we can't even see them without turning New Comments on.

It's probably worth quoting this section from the "New Improved Lazy Comments" piece in the Knowledge base, as a work-around to make comments in Mark's diaries readable for those of us who find the New Comments format undesirable:

There is also a story-specific toggle to turn new comments off or on. Adding this string to the end of a story URL ?new_comments=false will turn OFF the new comment styling for that specific story only. Similarly, ?new_comments=true appended to the end of a story URL will turn them back ON. ("Story-specific" means that the change will apply only to that single story, and only when you are viewing it via that specific URL.) On any platform, mobile or desktop, https://m.dailykos.com/ will load the mobile site, which still has the old-style comments.

A bit unweildy, but it does get the job done.

3. Support Staff 33 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jan, 2020 05:06 PM

Thanks. Yes, I'll put that into the Knowledge Base for folks to reference in the meantime.

4. Support Staff 34 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jan, 2020 07:35 PM

We have ticketed it and seem to be closing in on a cause. Thank you all! I'll return to let you know when the fix is deployed.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac