stray line

CwV

08 Jan, 2020 10:26 PM

Is anyone else getting a stray line that shows up in comments?
Just a thin grey line, sometimes across text, sometimes across an image?
Not earthshaking but it's there and makes me wonder why

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Jan, 2020 04:36 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

This is the first report we've seen, but we can try to replicate it. First, however, could you see if this happens for you while you are viewing the site in a private/incognito window? In that mode, most add-ons/extensions are disabled, and since we know they're often the culprits for odd site display that's a good place for us to start to troubleshoot.

If that doesn't make the line go away, then please return and let us know your operating system and browser. If it does, then you have confirmation that there's a conflict between one (or more) of your extensions and our site. Then you'll have to do some process of elimination, although it's true that adblockers are frequent sources of such difficulties.

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting. I'll leave this ticket open in case other folks have reports of similar odd displays.

2. 2 Posted by CwV on 10 Jan, 2020 02:18 AM

I am not able to predictably recreate it, it seems completely random
    I did try the incognito but result was inconclusive
    I'll keep trying and see if incognito makes a difference

3. 3 Posted by CwV on 10 Jan, 2020 02:19 AM

Oh, Win10/chrome

4. 4 Posted by siab on 10 Jan, 2020 05:01 AM

I'm not sure about this, but while I was unsubscribed, I'd occasionally see that type of stray line; this over a period of about two weeks, since I lucked out on the timing for the most part. Haven't noticed it since I re-upped, but I notice you don't have a subscription, so maybe it's the same phenomenon. Frequency of notice - maybe three or four times a day, but I'm on the site a lot.

windows 8.1, Firefox latest, no addons, Dell inspiron laptop.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jan, 2020 06:15 PM

Thanks for the input, both of you. I'll see if you can capture more info--and the next time you see one, CwV, getting a screenshot would be very helpful. Appreciate your troubleshooting help.

6. 6 Posted by CwV on 10 Jan, 2020 09:00 PM

Here's a screen shot

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jan, 2020 09:59 PM

Thank you!

8. 8 Posted by siab on 11 Jan, 2020 04:11 AM

That looks right - you might want to add whether it was in the main comment body or on a comment-only page, because it could make a difference.

9. 9 Posted by CwV on 13 Jan, 2020 12:45 PM

This was on the GNRU diary

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Jan, 2020 08:44 PM

Huh. That is really interesting and puzzling. Thanks for getting this one, also.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac