An avalanche of advertisements

AKALib

20 Dec, 2019 05:31 AM

If you scroll down the end of a diary, the browser keeps filling page after page, up to 40 of them, with advertisements.
Windows, Chrome.
Started occurring late today Thu, Dec 19.

This will surely drive people away from this site.

AKALib
P.S. Has the subscription page been fixed yet?

1. 1 Posted by Bob Leaming (un... on 20 Dec, 2019 09:25 PM

Any attempt to peruse and read the sidebar featured and recommended articles is blocked by ads. Even when the ad is x'd out the ad space remains blank and still blocks articles. Very frustrating and makes me leave Dailykos before I really want to.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Dec, 2019 09:26 PM

What device/browser setup are you using, Bob?

Thanks to you both for the alert.

Sounds like we might have something going on, and I'll check now. Still happening? These ad glitches do somehow seem to have a propensity to occur either late at night or over the weekend.

No, I'm sorry to say--but very close!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Dec, 2019 09:48 PM

All right--I did look, and several colleagues from several departments also looked.

I'm the only one who could replicate this problem, and that appears to have been possible because I had one extension active (!)

That strongly suggests that you each have something extra running on your browser that is overriding our ad settings somehow. I'd recommend seeing if you still see the "infinite scroll" while you're on an incognito window. If that eliminates the problem, then that points to an extension causing the problem, and then you'll have to go through a process of elimination to find it.

Thanks for asking!

4. 4 Posted by AKALib on 21 Dec, 2019 01:08 PM

The avalanche has now reduced to a couple of pages of ads. Although, if you scroll down further, the ads seem to refresh.

In incognito mode, there are no ads at the bottom of the page at all.

Next I disabled all extensions (I only had 4), and the avalanche is back!

See if this gives you any clues.

Thanks,
    AKALIb

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Dec, 2019 09:45 PM

Oh dear.
    Thank you for taking these steps. But I'm sorry to say your results so far do not clarify the possible cause for you on your machine. Which versions of Chrome and Windows are you using? We have to be able to replicate it ourselves to pin down a cause.

6. 6 Posted by Bob Leaming (un... on 24 Dec, 2019 08:43 PM

I am using Windows 7.

On Monday, December 23, 2019, 1:45:09 PM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv0329965584 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv0329965584 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

7. 7 Posted by mettle fatigue on 27 Dec, 2019 07:47 AM

I've been having this avalanche of advertisements too, for quite a few days now. I often work at the desk very late at night and into the morning (especially lately because of the difficulty of getting work done at all, let alone efficiently), and I don't see any difference in the flood no matter what time of day or nit.

Naturally, I tried to renew my subscription yet again, even tho' I was contacted that it had been made possible. At that other particular helpdesk discussion, someone on staff said our names were being saved so we could be contacted to re-up once the problem of reaching only a dk 404 page was resolved. But I guess it hasn't been -- on today's try, the data entry is still followed by a 404 page.

I've got windows 7 and Firefox minus one version - my technician advised not accepting it, something about the bookmarks being cloud=based posing a problem he considered potentially huge in my case.

Oddly (or maybe not) I notice quite a lot of ads for, like, diaries mixed in with all the commercials ones.

In any case, the massive interference by the ads --even if zooming the scroll straight down to the bottom and sort of keeping there --makes extremely difficult to click the tip jar on diaries when that's all I want to do. It's sometimes hard to be sure of when the avalanche has finished pouring down because of how every on the screen seems to be jumping erratically aound, so putting the curso in click position on what in one instant is the tip jar easily results in an ad slipping in under the cursor instead and getting clicked, which causes some other website to grab the screen, and then there's the wait all over again on returning to the diary.

The same kind of thing easily happens when trying to just click the rec button at the top of the diary or at the foot. A time-consuming, very tense and somewhat physically demanding process to deal with unless willing to just sit and wait until the flood at each diary resolves on its own, taking an uncertain amount of wasted time with every iota of navigation on blogview pages, if not seemed to cause any trouble on the 'old fashioned/backstage pages at all.

Thanks for attention to these ad problems and subscription problems. They make meeting resposibilities in the site very difficult.

8. 8 Posted by WildIrish on 28 Dec, 2019 02:55 AM

I am having the same problem with a cascade of pictures and headlines for DKos diaries, most as old as 3 weeks ago. One shows up just below the diary and just above the first comment, and the rest add into the bottom of the page, just below the last comment. I use AdBlockerPlus, so I never see ads on any website, but these are DKos diaries, not ads. They suck up a lot of memory, and take a lot of time to load. I don't have the problem with ads overlaying the sidebar, just the pictures, ad infinitum.

I am running Windows 10 with Firefox v.71.0 (64-bit) on an HP Spectre tablet.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Moderator1 on 08 Jan, 2020 11:51 PM

We're happy to announce at last that the subscription portal is live again and open for business. Functionally, you should not notice much difference in the portal--except that it will work. We are keeping a very close eye on that process, including monitoring Helpdesk for any trouble spots.

Here's the direct link: https://www.dailykos.com/subscribe

THANK YOU for your patience and forbearance. We realize this was an exceptionally long outage and we wish we'd been able to anticipate just how long it would be.

NOTE:
    If your subscription is up for renewal soon, it will renew automatically.

If you were unable to renew your subscription in the past few months, please start anew with your credit card information.

10. 10 Posted by AKALib on 12 Jan, 2020 03:09 AM

I tried the subscription page a few moments ago and it did not work; got the dreaded 404 error again.

AKALib

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Jan, 2020 06:52 PM

And thanks to those who raised the ad issue and added browser info. We think we got it addressed a few days ago. If you see anything similar again, please let us know.

12. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2020 06:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac