Unable to open any links from Daily Kos emails.

stephen day (unverified)

02 Dec, 2019 11:11 PM

Hi,
I have a problem that I have not seen referenced anywhere online. About a month ago, I began being unable to open the links from any of Daily Kos's emails. I then discovered that I cannot follow any link from anyone that uses the sendgrid.com domain. I've tried opening Sendgrid links on Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Chrome, all with the same result. I end up being told "Unable to contact that domain."

As a follower of Daily Kos, this is very discouraging, and it is extremely frustrating to not be able to sign petitions for worthy causes.

Does anyone have any what the problem might be and how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Dec, 2019 12:18 AM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

I think the problem you're encountering is related to a problem with the DNS. I'll define that term first and then offer some solutions.

The internet relies upon a system (Domain Name System, or DNS) that translates website URLs into a numeric form that servers can recognize. Like any system, it is subject to error. If you see a message when you try to access our website that is something like "server not found" -- and it does not seem to be caused by a temporary connection issue -- then it is likely that something has gone awry with the DNS.

If it arises on our end with our server, then we have internal alerts to let us know we need to take action. But there are many other points of possible DNS failure, and we often have to rely on the other components of the system to be repaired/updated for our site users to regain access.

You still have options for the short or long term. If you have a mobile device available, connecting to the site through it should work for you (as long as you're not on wifi from that same provider). It's also possible to clear your DNS cache to ensure the data you have is up-to-date. Here is a decent explanation that is pretty easy to follow. https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/getting-started-guide/internet-and-networking/clearing-the-dns-cache-on-your-computer

As a last resort, you may want to change your DNS settings. Here is a rather technical explanation about how to do that. https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

The short version of the "how to geek" resource is that once you find the appropriate place on your computer or your router to change the setting, you can change it to use the free Google servers. The numbers associated with them are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Here's another resource that puts the Google option front and center, providing a little more context. https://tunecomp.net/google-dns-8-8-8-8/

I hope these suggestions help. If you implement them and still have difficulty getting the links to work, please feel free to return to let us know.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 05 Dec, 2019 12:18 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac