Tag List Too Long for the Display History Window

Besame

21 Nov, 2019 09:01 PM

Not the same problem (or not AFAIK because I didn't try to add/edit tags) but a Tag problem so I added it here. Just now, I tried to look at the tag history for a story with many tags. The pop out box with all the tag history extended below the bottom of my screen. I tried to zoom in/out to shrink the box but it only shrunk in width and was a long narrow box that extended below the screen. I couldn't scroll in the box either.
MacBookPro Mojave 0.14.6 Chrome Version 78.0.3904.97

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Nov, 2019 09:23 PM

Hi there --

I split this off for the sake of sparing the other folks a discussion of this matter.

Would you mind supplying the link to this problematic story? I'd like to be able to see where the breakpoint might be for the number of tags causing this problem--can work back from what you share.

Thank you.

2. 2 Posted by Besame on 21 Nov, 2019 10:03 PM

3. 3 Posted by aoeu on 22 Nov, 2019 04:16 AM

I see it.. Are there supposed to be two scroll bars?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Nov, 2019 06:13 PM

Hello, and thanks to both of you for the information.

The mysteries of scrolling, particularly when we have multiple layers on a page, are many. The issue becomes even more complicated because we each have our own hardware, habits and preferences.

I checked a couple of different combinations to see if I could replicate the problem. I have a slightly older combo for OSX/Chrome on my own laptop, but I used the exact one you have, Besame, on a virtual machine. On each platform, I did go to the tag history for this particular story. There, after I used a track pad to click on the Tag History overlay, I was able to use the arrow keys to move up and down within the Tag History box. I was also, surprisingly enough, able to use the scrollbar at the right margin to do the same.

My educated guess is that the scroll function defaults to the base layer, the main page. But sending a signal to the site server by clicking on the overlay switches the focus of the scroll to that layer instead. So it may be a matter of strategy. I don't know much about prior setup; it could be that there once were two scrollbars. I think this solution to the scrolling problem for multiple layers is probably an improvement--but not if it's not known, of course.

If this makes sense to you, and if this does indeed work for you now, then we probably have a solution. Please let me know if there is something else to address.

5. 5 Posted by Besame on 22 Nov, 2019 07:32 PM

cool - also when I tried it out just now, not only did the down arrow work
    to move thru the list, but afterwards the right margin of screen scroll bar
    moved the History dialogue box (just as the down arrow did).

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Nov, 2019 08:32 PM

Yes! Excellent, thanks for confirming it works for you.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac