When I Try to Diary, Links No Longer Work

FrankDiPrima

16 Nov, 2019 09:39 PM

I used to submit diaries quite a lot and want to again. But the last time I tried, none of the links to my sources worked. The link appeared to go into the diary, but when I checked it, it did not lead anywhere. Please tell me how do I fix this? -- FrankDiPrima [email blocked]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Nov, 2019 06:08 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking for help.

Let me give you a step-by-step description of the process of adding a hyperlink to the body of your story. There are variations on the process, but this is the basic idea.

1. Type the text you want to have serve as the link within your story.
    2. Select it, so that it is highlighted.
    3. Click on the link tool -- which no doubt you recognize.
    4. When the link editor popup opens, then you should see two text boxes. The top box (URL) should be blank, awaiting the URL of the destination for the linked text. The bottom box, labeled Display Text, should already contain the text that you had selected and highlighted.
    5. Paste in the URL of your choice in that top text box. Make sure that it is well-formed, with no syntax errors. They are easy to introduce through the copy&paste process.
    6. Click the Insert Link button on the tool.
    7. Now, the text you had chosen should display orange(-ish) as a hyperlink in your draft. 8. Confirm that it is correct by following the Open Link in New Tab hover that should display over the hyperlink.

If you're following all of these steps, and you still have a failed hyperlink, then it's potentially a different problem. To help with diagnosis, I'd suggest that you try this troubleshooting strategy.

Open a private or incognito window and then go to your Daily Kos story draft. Repeat all of these steps to create a hyperlink. If it works in this mode, then that is a strong indication you have some sort of add-on or extension that is interfering with the hyperlink placement. (Generally, private/incognito mode disables extensions.) In that case, you'd need to figure out which one(s) are causing the problem, and see about turning it off specifically for Daily Kos.

If these suggestions don't suffice, please feel free to return with more information. Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac