Image Library scroll broken again

Besame

13 Nov, 2019 04:16 AM

Today is when I noticed but I've not used the IL for a few days so.... No ability to scroll thru the thumbnails. MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6, up to date Chrome. IL works normally in Safari as it did before.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Nov, 2019 12:39 AM

OK. Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed that next week will be calmer on the bug front so that we have time to investigate this nagging issue.

2. 2 Posted by Besame on 04 Dec, 2019 02:50 AM

It works today. IDK when it was fixed because I stopped trying. But I'm glad it's fixed and now I'll use the IL again. THANKS

3. 3 Posted by siab on 04 Dec, 2019 05:43 PM

I just checked, and both the Comments version, and the Image Library link from the Avatar are still screwed up as far as scrolling goes. The Diary editor version is okay on scrolling.

Worse, the DONE link is now superimposed on top of the CHOOSE link, so it's going to be hard to insert any graphic. This has just happened on all three instances.
    Please fix ASAP

4. 4 Posted by Besame on 04 Dec, 2019 07:49 PM

Oh good points, siab. How one accesses the IL makes a difference in
    scrolling. If I access the IL in the menu under my Avatar from the Front
    Page, I can scroll. But from a comment or from my avatar menu while in
    someone else's story the scroll doesn't work in the IL but the background
    page moves. But in all 3 cases, the DONE/CHOOSE overlap siab describes
    doesn't show up for me.

MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6 Chrome 78.0.3904.108

5. 5 Posted by siab on 04 Dec, 2019 09:21 PM

addendum: Dell Inspiron laptop, windows 8.1, up to date Firefox, no add-ons.

6. 6 Posted by Besame on 04 Dec, 2019 09:39 PM

I have an extension/add on - Bitdefender Anti-tracker

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Dec, 2019 12:01 AM

Goodness.
    Your detail is helpful. But it also points to the many layers of functionality to keep clear of each other. I'll take it back to the developers to see what we can do. Thank you.

8. 8 Posted by siab on 30 Dec, 2019 07:45 PM

Just thought I'd note - the scrolling for Tag History has the same problem as the IL, which is to say that the page underneath scrolls rather than the History. Not a problem of the same magnitude, but I thought I'd mention it.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 Jan, 2020 11:21 PM

OK. Thanks. Now that we're through some big bottlenecks maybe we can return to this issue. I'll see what we can do.

10. 10 Posted by Besame on 01 Mar, 2020 09:10 PM

Still broken when I open the IL in a comment (whether the comment is part of the story or if I click on a comment alone without the story). The background scrolls but not the individual images in the pop out box. Works fine when in story editor. MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6 - Chrome and Safari (most recent versions) have same problem in both browsers.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Mar, 2020 07:25 PM

Thanks, Besame, for the update. We are circling back for some clean-up with Lazy Comments and this will get some more attention soon, I hope.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Mar, 2020 11:20 PM

I know, I know, you've heard this before. But we really do have this little window of time right now for addressing at least some of these holdover issues.
    I have some diagnostic questions for you both, then, though I've just started to try to replicate the issue.
    We have a handy dandy little tool through which we can emulate various browser and OS combinations. I'm using it to put the Image Library through its paces on the combinations that you have mentioned.
    It could well be that our own habits in interacting with our machines and the site do differ, and it is also potentially true that the virtual machines do not exactly replicate the experience that real hardware/software provide. But I am not seeing the scrolling difficulties that you are reporting.
    I've used all three combos (the Safari and Chrome on the newest Mac OS, and the latest Firefox on Win 8.1) without incident. Via the Image icon within a comment box, the Image Library loads, and I can scroll through My Images or Public Library without incident. I have been using a trackpad to drag the scrollbar, the arrow keys (probably the least reliable), and an external (apple) mouse, and all three of them get the job done of scrolling through the options, choosing one, and then uploading it to a comment.
    On occasion, I am seeing that the system takes a minute to change its focus--most notably in Win 8.1--between the background layer and the Image Library layer. But if I click on the scrollbar within the IL to refocus its attention, so to speak, then the other methods do work.
    I'm also not seeing an overlap for any of the selection buttons.
    Is there something that I am missing? Are you still seeing this problem? And, I assume, you were seeing it with the new, "lazy" comments, not with the old-style ones? (Figured I'd better double-check).
    If you could get and attach a screenshot of that button overlay, siab, that would be especially helpful. Any other suggestions about how I could capture this problem in action would be welcome.
    Thanks to you both.

13. 13 Posted by Besame on 27 Mar, 2020 01:03 AM

I'm on MacBook Pro Mojave 10.14.6 with Chrome 80.0.3987.132 and the problem
    with inability to scroll persists if I open the IL in a comment, but not in
    story editor. No scroll bar. It works fine when I open IL from the drop
    menu while the DK Front Page is loaded. THANKS!
    [image: Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 5.59.37 PM.png]

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Mar, 2020 03:38 PM

Thanks for the screenshot.
    So, yes, when I open the IL that's also what I see initially: no obvious scroll bar. In some cases it is very hard to get the scroll bar to appear--it requires many mouse clicks or trackpad clicks or down-arrow clicks. That shouldn't be necessary, so that it something that I can ticket.
    Meanwhile, it is definitely annoying and maybe not even feasible for you to click away in the general vicinity of where you would expect to see a scroll bar to try to get one to appear. Suboptimal but maybe in a pinch it is worth the extra effort.
    I'll leave the ticket open for more input from you or others.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Mar, 2020 04:10 PM

A little more context.
    Out of curiosity I've been looking at the behavior of the IL on other browsers, and with new comments off. It's quite common not to see a scroll bar at all on opening the IL window, I'm finding, or else to see it initially flicker in and out of view. Usually, one click on the down-arrow key is enough to get it to show, however.
    If you have any other very specific details to mention about your own practices, that would be welcome. Thanks again.

16. 16 Posted by Besame on 27 Mar, 2020 04:38 PM

I'll test it out again, but long long ago in IL scroll bar's troubled
    history, I could make it appear by fastidiously clicking, moving cursor etc
    until the scroll bar flickered into view. Once it appeared, though, putting
    the cursor on it (I use track pad on MacBook) required lightning fast
    reflexes, sometimes faster than humanly possible. 90% of the time, I'd get
    a frustrating glimpse of the scroll bar but not be able to click on it fast
    enough. For awhile sometime in the past, if I clicked on a thumbnail (to
    load it in the right panel) that brought the scroll bar (SB) into existence
    and often I could click on SB because it didn't flicker away so fast. But
    all these tricks to coax the SB into showing itself were random, fleeting,
    and so frustrating, I stopped messing with it.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Mar, 2020 05:25 PM

I completely understand. Thanks for elaborating.

18. 18 Posted by siab on 28 Mar, 2020 08:07 PM

Re the Firefox/Windows 8.1 - I've mostly been using the IL overllay for comments lately, and it haasn't changed a bit. I still need to click on the scroll bars (PS2 logitech mouse) or my attempts to scroll only move the background. And If I use the scrolls once to get focus and then try scrolling, that doesn't work either, so focus isn't shifting. Same with the Editor images. The IL link on the dropdown menu by the avatar is still behaving the way it ought to.

Have fun. ;))

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Mar, 2020 02:07 PM

Thanks for the additional information, siab.
    It has been a bear for us to get the scrolling layers to work. Oh well. Keeps us busy.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac