Server Not Found mesage

Jeanette (unverified)

09 Nov, 2019 01:12 AM

Lately, in trying to access emails from Daily Kos, I consistently get the message "Server Not Found." When trying to sign petitions I get the same message. How to fix?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 09 Nov, 2019 01:16 AM

Hello--

I split your ticket into a new thread because it's not the same issue as the first user had in the original thread. Sorry for the delayed reply.

The internet relies upon a system (Domain Name System, or DNS) that translates website URLs into a numeric form that servers can recognize. Like any system, it is subject to error. If you see a message when you try to access our website that is something like "server not found" and it does not seem to be caused by a temporary connection issue then it is likely that something has gone awry with the DNS.

If it arises on our end with our server, then we have internal alerts to let us know we need to take action. But there are many other points of possible DNS failure, and we often have to rely on the other components of the system to be repaired for our site users to regain access. Usually, these glitches are short-lived though almost always they're annoying.

You still have options for the short or long term. If you have a mobile device available, connecting to the site through it should work for you (as long as you're not on wifi from that same provider). It's also possible to clear your DNS cache to ensure the data you have is up-to-date. Here is a decent explanation that is pretty easy to follow. https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/getting-started-guide/internet-and-networking/clearing-the-dns-cache-on-your-computer

As a last resort, you may want to change your DNS settings. Here is a rather technical explanation about how to do that. https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

The short version of the "how to geek" resource is that once you find the appropriate place on your computer or your router to change the setting, you can change it to use the free Google servers. The numbers associated with them are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Here's another resource that puts the Google option front and center, providing a little more context. https://tunecomp.net/google-dns-8-8-8-8/

We realize that either one of these interactions with computer settings is more complicated than many users have had reason to do, but it just takes a little patience and persistence. Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 09 Nov, 2019 01:16 AM.

3. V Jeanette Johnston re-opened this discussion on 09 Nov, 2019 07:22 PM

4. 2 Posted by V Jeanette John... on 09 Nov, 2019 07:22 PM

An additional note: When I click to read an article or sign a petition, the web address directs me via "send grid." This has been happening consistently for about the past month. I have no problems with other political organizations, just Action Network.
    This is the message that comes up when trying to connect to either articles or petitions:
    Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
        Check your network connection.
        If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

Thank you!V Jeanette JohnstonMount Vernon WA

On Friday, November 8, 2019, 5:16:07 PM PST, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 Nov, 2019 04:47 PM

Thanks for the additional information.

You are quite right, the emails we send out via Action Network are also "processed," in effect, by SendGrid first. They are the industry leader and if you look at other links in emails you receive, you'll see a similar form of the actual URLs.

What you may need to do next is explained here. https://help.actionnetwork.org/hc/en-us/articles/204537459-Whitelis...

I think the content there is clear enough that any attempt by me to elaborate upon it would not help, unless you have specific questions after you read it.

It's a complicated system, the online delivery of hyperlinks, and much of the time it all works invisibly, without problems. But nowadays, with the increased need for internet security (primarily to limit spammers who are always cutting edge), some tweaking can become necessary for individual users.

I hope that helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac