I can see article headlines but not the body

ElisMad

04 Nov, 2019 05:13 AM

I see another discussion on this topic from 2017, but nothing in the comments tells me how access was restored. Also, when I try to click to see comments it just refreshes the page.

1. 1 Posted by Skookum on 04 Nov, 2019 06:20 AM

Access has not been restored for many people affected, from what I can tell.The problem is very obviously that there was some kind of update/upgrade done to the DKos system somewhere around Oct 31-Nov 01 that has resulted in an unverified number of users not being able to see anything but the diary headers. Normal troubleshooting procedures dictate that the update/upgrade be reversed & the system restored to its previous settings so the users who have been locked out can have their service restored at least long enough for (a) an estimate of the number of users who will be adversely affected can be made, (b) an effort can be made to figure out what user systems are affected so people have an opportunity to address it, & (c) some additional effort be made to help those users who don't have the technical skill (or money) to upgrade THEIR systems to be compatible with the DKos system. Unfortunately, no one seems interested in doing this. Which is fair. DK is free (unless you're paying for a subscription), so if the site isn't compatible with our devices, it's on us. I haven't the time or interest in pursuing it further, but wish everyone luck (politically as well as technologically!).

2. 2 Posted by ElisMad on 04 Nov, 2019 06:36 PM

Thanks! If it requires me to upgrade my system I'm out of luck. I have an iPad 2, which won't run the latest IOS, so can't run the most recent Safari. I have been delaying upgrading my devices trying to save money, so I'll need to come up with a couple thou to catch everything up. Not happening anytime soon. That may mean I'm a former DK user.

3. 3 Posted by ElisMad on 04 Nov, 2019 06:38 PM

Oh! Also it's a pain to try to login. There is literally NOTHING on the home page that says login or hints there might be a way to do so.

4. 4 Posted by Budman 6 on 04 Nov, 2019 08:20 PM

Guess I'm also an x koso member, unless kos can do something on their end. Too Bad.

5. 5 Posted by Glenn Schleuche... on 05 Nov, 2019 12:28 AM

Too bad that kos did what they did,they will loose a lot of faithful readers.I have an iPad 3 and I am having the same problems that ElisMad and others are having.I wish kos would fix the problem.I will search for another information site about politics.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Nov, 2019 08:22 PM

Hello, and many thanks to everyone who reported this issue. Just as many apologies to you for having to wait for some resolution.

At the moment, we're still investigating what went awry with the mobile site on these older iOS devices. Our initial suggestion to everyone is to please try the "view full site" link at the bottom of the screen. Clicking that link will ordinarily set a cookie so that the www.dailykos.com version of the site will load. If that link is not working (something that we have not seen reported here at Helpdesk) then that's another issue to resolve--but if it IS functional then you will have regained access to the site and also set your device to load it automatically.

We'll be watching for updates as we dig deeper into the first problem.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 05 Nov, 2019 08:22 PM.

8. ElisMad re-opened this discussion on 07 Nov, 2019 02:46 AM

9. 7 Posted by ElisMad on 07 Nov, 2019 02:46 AM

If you get it figured out, please make sure there are emails to let us know. I'm crazyp busy (elderly family in assisted living needs lots of help!) and don't have time to keep testing. I have an OLD iPad and I'm assuming it won't be compatible with whatever you're doing so I'm done trying unless you tell me to try again!

Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.

10. 8 Posted by Lisa Knafelc (u... on 07 Nov, 2019 01:56 PM

I have also been unable to access anything but headlines.
    I have an Iphone5 and IPad and neither will pull up articles.
    Looks like I am an ex-Daily Kos user also. Sad!

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Nov, 2019 04:31 PM

We will keep you posted. Apologies for the discouraging status quo.

12. 10 Posted by Barbara Macek (... on 07 Nov, 2019 06:10 PM

I also am able to see only the headline and no content on any of the dk articles for about a week and a half now. Very disappointing since I was reading these articles on a daily basis. I have an older iPad but have not had any problems with it, only the Daily Kos site. I am hoping something will be done about this problem many of us are having.

13. 11 Posted by ElisMad on 08 Nov, 2019 03:00 AM

Amen, that! I'd love to keep reading.

14. 12 Posted by J Nagel (unveri... on 08 Nov, 2019 03:10 PM

Over a week now, and still cannot access, as per other reports..
    I did try using Firefox, but the results were no different than what has been reported with iPads and older Mac OS systems.
    Whatever you did near the end of October, you've lost a devoted reader. I have no issues with other websites.

15. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Nov, 2019 04:00 PM

Very sorry indeed that we have not yet pinned down the cause for this disruption.

16. 14 Posted by Jessie Nagel (u... on 08 Nov, 2019 04:05 PM

Thanks for the acknowledgement and for your efforts on this. i hope it
    can be resolved for everyone.

17. 15 Posted by R Edwards (unve... on 08 Nov, 2019 04:08 PM

Can't get access to articles anymore. That ends my donations. Sorry.

18. 16 Posted by ElisMad on 10 Nov, 2019 04:09 PM

Could it be a Guccifer 2 issue?

19. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Nov, 2019 10:55 PM

Hello! I'm pleased to announce that we HAVE just deployed a fix to the site to restore access for your devices.

Thanks for your patience and forbearance as we searched for what to correct.

If for some reason the site does not load automatically for you, please clear your data for Daily Kos and try again.

We appreciate your support of Daily Kos.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac