Got a REALLY strange message when I tried to post a comment

TulsaGal

27 Oct, 2019 07:11 PM

Hi,

Just a minute ago, I was trying to comment on a diary, "" when I got a message: "You already made this comment; why don't you try something else?" Then the comment reply window closed. All I said, in reply to the message I was commenting on, was "agreed".

SOOO ... I opened the reply window again, typed "Agreed" again, and submitted. It went through that time. Just wanted to report this, thanks.

Cheers, Tulsagal.

Comment in question here:
https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1895199/75332872#comment_75332872

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 27 Oct, 2019 07:25 PM

Not only that, but look at where your previous "Agreed" comment posted:
    https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1895199/75338132#comment_75338132

2. 2 Posted by TulsaGal on 27 Oct, 2019 09:34 PM

I confess, I'm puzzled, lol. I can't explain the location of first "agreed" comment - I didn't submit it, I'd just hit preview when all the funny business happened and the comment window closed on its own.

I was responding to the Windrip comment both times. So I have no explanation for why it posted like that: what I saw, was that odd message when I clicked preview before that message popped up and closed the comment window on its own. I truly don't know how that first one ended up where it did. I was having a Trump derangement moment over his fake war room photo ... lol.

Seriously, though, I've been having minor issues with the comments function for the last week: often, all comments (the threads) disappear without warning, and I have to hit "reload" or close and reopen my browser and wait for them to come back. And I should add that shortly after I posted to help, the DKOS window froze.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 28 Oct, 2019 04:27 PM

Goodness gracious, that sounds unpleasant and annoying, all these comment issues.

Could you please do a couple of things as preliminary diagnostics? First, please clear your cache on the browser you use most. That is a good way to do a general reset. Second, please use the site on an incognito/private window for a while, to see if the problems persist. It might be that the difficulties you're having stem from a conflict between some add-on or extension you have, and using a private/incog window disables almost all extensions to give you a chance to test that possibility.

If you do both, and with the latter test all works well, then you have confirmed that something on your browser is not playing well with our site. You can go through a process of elimination to figure out which one(s) are problematic. But if that's not a remedy, please return with more details including the operating system and browser you're using so that we can attempt to replicate the problem.

Thanks for your support of the site.

4. 4 Posted by TulsaGal on 28 Oct, 2019 08:03 PM

Will do! TTFN :)

5. 5 Posted by TulsaGal on 29 Oct, 2019 03:26 PM

Hello,

Checking back in to update you.

I did as you asked, yesterday: cleared my browser cache (Firefox AND Avast Secure browser), then signed back into DKos in a private window. So far so good, since last night; The Comments Section is still disappearing on me periodically, even working within a private window, so not sure about whatever that is. As I did this, I recalled I was in the Avast browser when this problem started. It came with my security software subscription to Avast Premiere, and is supposed to have some security features Firefox (my preferred app) doesn't. It's supposed to be based on Chrome - wasn't there some mention of Chrome issues and this site?

Anyway, I'll search that out :). Meanwhile ...

My habit, in both browsers, is to remain signed in and I typically have the browser reopen tabs I was in, when I last used it. That seems to work better, overall, in Firefox than it does the Avast browser, but this is the first time I've had the problems I reported. I'm going to spend today in private window mode, and see how it goes.

TTFN :) Tulsagal

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Oct, 2019 04:23 PM

Hmmm, it is interesting (but not in a good way) that you still have intermittent comments. I'll be curious about more details related to that phenomenon--specific links; timing of access; path you used to reach the story where comments aren't displaying for you.

Appreciate the troubleshooting you're doing.

7. 7 Posted by TulsaGal on 29 Oct, 2019 06:06 PM

Hi again, I just got that same behavior as I reported again on Oct. 27, and a frozen DKOS page, in response to this comment (I got kind of hot, so don't pay it any mind):

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1895499/75351752#comment_75351752

I opened another DKOS window to see if the response actually posted (it did), and while the original page is still frozen (I cannot even close it right now), the new page is operating normally. I've been all over the site, in the new window, in the last 10 minutes.

So, going to keep messing with the browsers ... will update if anything else occurs.

TTFN, Tulsagal

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac