Server down

Peter Doubt (unverified)

22 Oct, 2019 01:19 PM

I haven't been able to connect to the site for a couple of days - I get '...server cannot be found'. I don't see current discussions anywhere else about it so it makes me wonder if it's a local problem. Any help?

I had to use a different email because I can't verify my account's email - the server can't be found...

1. 1 Posted by KB (unverified) on 22 Oct, 2019 05:14 PM

I have been unable to find the site today: Server Not Found

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2019 06:15 PM

Hello, and thanks for reporting an issue with accessing the site.

We've not seen any site outages reported through our usual monitoring system, so my first thought is that your experience is indeed local and intermittent. Do you have difficulty getting onto the site regardless of the equipment you're using? That is, browser and device? It could be a help with diagnosis if you have different options to try (mobile phone, various desktop browsers) and still encounter the problem. Then please let us know what device does/does not work in establishing the connection.

I'll check from our end in the meantime. Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

3. 3 Posted by KB (unverified) on 22 Oct, 2019 06:21 PM

I've not had trouble in the past, I've attempted to log in with Firefox, chrome and another chomebook. m.dailykos... works on my phone chrome browser.

strange things afoot at the circle K

4. 4 Posted by MTmofo on 22 Oct, 2019 06:43 PM

Site is down for me in NW Montana (CenturyLink landline). I use FF. I can get the mobile site on my iPhone (Verizon), also on FF.

Had a similar outage about 5 weeks ago. Rest of internet access is as usual.

5. 5 Posted by MTmofo on 22 Oct, 2019 07:09 PM

Site is back up for me.
    ETA:
    And 4 minutes later it's down again.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2019 07:13 PM

Thanks, this is helpful detail.
    Something is awry upstream for you, potentially regional. Please keep location and provider details coming, those of you having these issues and seeing this ticket.

7. 7 Posted by KB (unverified) on 22 Oct, 2019 07:17 PM

I'm in the metro Twin Cities Minnesota with CenturyLink as provider.

still getting "Server Not Found" error at www.DailyKo... but m.dailykos works on desktop and mobile.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2019 07:44 PM

Hmm. OK. CenturyLink for two of you, and we have a third report for the same internet provider as well.

We will definitely investigate further. In the meantime, there is a rather technical explanation available here about changing your DNS server. https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-you...

The short version is that once you find the appropriate place to change the setting, you can change it to use the free Google servers. The numbers associated with them are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Here's another resource that puts the Google option front and center, providing a little more context. https://tunecomp.net/google-dns-8-8-8-8/

Making the switch should help in the short and long term, though the question about why now and why us remains to be answered. It's not necessarily an issue about monitoring or censorship per se, so I'd refrain from worrying about sinister implications.

Feel free to keep us updated and thanks for the initial alerts.

By the way, you can choose to take yourself off of the notification list for replies to this thread if you like. Look at the top right of the discussion page here.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2019 07:44 PM.

10. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 23 Oct, 2019 05:02 PM

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Oct, 2019 05:02 PM

Hello again, everyone.

How are things for folks today? We have had additional reports, apparently from CenturyLink customers, of similar access problems. In that other thread, we posted this request.

You're right, it's not your computers and it's not us. So far, though, unless we're missing something, the problem appears to be affecting CenturyLink customers now. Would one (or more) of you be willing to contact CenturyLink support https://www.centurylink.com/home/help.html and see what you find out? The usual ways we have of detecting server problems are not giving us any clues, at least from what we see at the moment. Everything should be working well from our end.
    There are a number of other steps you can take to establish a connection if you can't get satisfaction/resolution from CenturyLink, but we're very interested in figuring out what is at the base of this interruption.

If you are also continuing to have problems (and you've not changed your DNS settings) please think about whether you would like to make this inquiry. Thank you for your help in diagnosing the problem and for your support of Daily Kos.

12. 10 Posted by KB (unverified) on 23 Oct, 2019 10:28 PM

service as normal today. I made no changes on my end.

thanks for the responses!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac