Facebook share botton doesn't work

Monica (unverified)

11 Oct, 2019 03:06 PM

I wanted to share an article regarding Turkey and the approval of genocide by our president but the share button was dead. I tried it on another article too, everywhere you had the share button and every one was dead.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Oct, 2019 03:28 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking for help with your problem with using the share button.

Almost always, we find that the share button fails because of the configuration of users' browsers.

Some browser extensions designed to protect users' internet privacy do so by blocking requests to tracking 3rd party services. We see it most commonly when people have difficulty sharing stories to Facebook. "Disconnect" is one example of this kind of add-on or plug-in, but there is a whole class of them. And lately it appears that Firefox has augmented their default privacy settings, so if you're using that browser and recently updated it you may have brought that feature into your own setup.

One way you can check for the presence of such extensions is to use a private or incognito window to view the site. If you have a Daily Kos page open, you are also logged into Facebook on that same private/incognito window, and you DO succeed in sharing a story, then you have confirmed the suggested diagnosis. (I am less confident that the private window option will disable Firefox's built-in protections, however, so please keep that in mind if appropriate.) The challenge then may be to determine which extension is the culprit.

Once you figure it out, it's probably possible for you to disable this extension for Daily Kos if you choose. You can search online for solutions specific to your browser and to your extension. In any case, you may still share posts via copy&paste to your own timeline, though that's not as convenient as using the share button.

We appreciate your support of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Oct, 2019 03:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac