Sudden, catastrophic loss of typed text in comments.

Pirogue

11 Oct, 2019 07:33 AM

It has happened to me several times recently. I'm typing along rapidly in a comments box and in quick succession all or most of the text is suddenly highlighted and then is erased. This happens in the time it takes to type a couple of letters so it would seem that the text box has some combination of keys strokes that highlights everything and then deletes it. I obviously hit the errant key or keys by mistake so don't even know what causes the failure. It just happened to me and it is extremely frustrating. It doesn't seem to be recoverable . I suggest you guys examine your code to see if there is some combination of keystrokes that does this. At the very least make it recoverable in a way that it is easy to find if it happens. If there is a recovery it is not obvious to me even after looking around for something that might work.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Oct, 2019 06:35 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking for help with this issue.

It is extremely annoying to lose text like this when you have no plan for deletion. I am sorry you've had this happen more than once. I can relate to your annoyance at losing the content. Personally, I have had this happen on occasion within email drafts, and so far I've not pinned down why or how it does.

It is most likely that you are hitting a key combination that is selecting your text, and then hitting the enter key without noticing that your text has been highlighted. We're not hearing reports from multiple users of this happening on the site, so it is not likely to be an issue related to the comment editor. As unsatisfying as it may be, I suspect it's related to your own browser and your own keying habits.

But you created this ticket as a public one, which is a good strategy to use to attract replies from other site users who are having the same issue. I'll leave it open to see what other folks have to say. It could be that we'll need to reevaluate once other people have a chance to weigh in.

Thanks for your support of the site.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac