misattributed quote - not sure where to report this

lazym (unverified)

08 Oct, 2019 02:59 PM

Not sure where to post this. I really appreciate the reporting, but there is a mis-attribution of a quote in this article: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/10/7/1890730/-Mom-turns-in-17-year-old-after-reading-plan-that-describes-school-shooting-on-Columbine-anniversary?detail=emaildkre

I know you don't moderate a lot of articles, but this was written by staff. I thought you might want to correct it. The first part of the quote is from the mother, Nicole: "I know a lot of people that go to College Place High School." But the second part, which you attribute to Nicole, was actually a comment added by the interviewer: "Their lives would have been forever changed," I know it's a minor thing, but believe accuracy is important in these difficult times.

Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by Nova Land on 08 Oct, 2019 07:45 PM

I agree with you that misattributed quotes such as the one you spotted are errors deserving of correction.

But I doubt the help desk people will be able to help with this, at least not in a very timely way. By the time one of them sees a comment like yours and has time to deal with the matter, the diary is likely to be at least a day or two old and less pressing of a priority than other matters they need to deal with.

A better way to get a correction made might be to KosMail the diarist (in this case, Marissa Higgins), point out the error, and ask her to edit the diary to correct the error.

But that also might not work very well. I don't know how often staff people check their messages, and some are probably better about it than others. It's quite possible a message to Marissa Higgins wouldn't get noticed by her or acted on in a timely manner (although I still think that should be the first thing one tries).

So as a back-up, it might be worth sending a copy of the message you send to Marissa to another DK staffer or two, who might be able to contact Marissa Higgins more directly than you're able to. I see that emilyeps, who's also a DK staff person, did something with the tags on that diary 40 minutes after it went up, so she might be a good person to contact. If she's not able to contact Marissa Higgins herself, and if she's not able to edit the diary, she may at least be able to put you in touch with someone who can help or pass your alert about the error directly to them.

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 08 Oct, 2019 08:00 PM

Ah! There's a group, Daily Kos, which is made up of all the Daily Kos staff people. I suspect that some of them would have the ability to edit a Daily Kos staff diary to correct an error like that one.

So a possible solution when a problem like this comes up might be to open a new message thread addressed to that group and let them know about the problem. With several dozen group admins and a dozen or so group editors, it's likely at least one of them would see your message fairly soon after you send it and would have the ability to deal with the problem.

[I don't know if that actually is a practical solution or not, but there should be a help desk person along at some point to let you know if what I've suggested is not a good idea. But it often takes a while before anyone from the help desk is able to respond to these threads so thought I'd attempt to help while you're waiting.]

3. 3 Posted by lazym (unverifi... on 09 Oct, 2019 01:32 PM

Thank you so much for your help!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac