Embedded tweets disappear from every article

Paul (unverified)

25 Sep, 2019 05:00 PM

Hi, friends.

I hope you're well.

For several weeks now, the embedded tweets disappear from any Daily Kos article I look. I see the tweets for about one second, and then they're gone, leaving a blank space.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks, and God bless.

Paul

1. 1 Posted by nytcek on 25 Sep, 2019 05:07 PM

I have the same problem. I use Firefox for a browser and Ubuntu OS.
    Tried Chrome (open source) browser and Tweets appear normally.
    I'd rather use Firefox than reconfigure Chrome.

2. 2 Posted by c2shiningc on 25 Sep, 2019 11:47 PM

The same thing is happening to me, in Firefox. I don't think I've noticed this before. There's a good post on a Tweetstorm and it's full of blank spaces.

3. 3 Posted by c2shiningc on 26 Sep, 2019 07:49 PM

Hello? Does anyone look at these support posts?

4. 4 Posted by rootedgrain (un... on 02 Oct, 2019 02:25 PM

I use Chrome and I don't see tweets either.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 Oct, 2019 11:29 PM

Hello everyone. Sorry that you've had to wait a while for an official reply.

I can appreciate that it's annoying. But it's not of our doing. The issues are browser-related. I suspect you're not going to appreciate what I'm going to say next, which is that we don't provide support for browser-related issues. There is quite a lot of chatter online, however, about the problems with embedded tweets on various browsers -- particularly, but not only, regarding Firefox -- so I am confident that you'll be able to find some answers.

That aside, I can still suggest some basic computer housekeeping tips that can be useful no matter the issue.

First, it's a good idea to get into the habit of clearing your cache and cookies from your browser. Some browsers permit you to pick and choose which browsers (and even which cookies) to delete, while others don't. You'll have to log back into the site once you do it, but it's worth the minor inconvenience. Almost always you'll notice a peppier response afterwards, since there's no old and stale data to slow processes down.

Second, it's possible to start to diagnose a number of different problems, or at least get a jump on them, by opening a private or incognito window on your browser, and then seeing whether your problem is still active when you visit Daily Kos. The private mode disables most, though not necessarily all, extensions or add-ons you might have installed. Nowadays, there are so many extensions doing so much different stuff we can't possibly code for them. But they're notorious for conflicting with other sites, particularly ones like ours with a lot of user interaction. Turning them off all at once, in effect, gives you a means of comparison so that if need be you can use a process of elimination to figure out which one is the culprit. In fact, this is also a reasonable approach to finding out what might be interfering with your Twitter embeds--though as I say the Firefox problems are known and widely-covered already.

I hope this helps to some extent.

If you find out information that you want to share here, it's entirely fine for you to do so. As far as I know now, you should all get notifications when someone posts a reply to this Helpdesk thread. If you want to stop getting them, you can opt out--click the Unsubscribe to Updates button on the right.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

6. 6 Posted by ohdelilah on 04 Oct, 2019 04:23 PM

Thank you! I use Chrome and was having the same problem. I opened an "incognito window" and yes, I had to to log in again (and again) but it seems to have done the trick. Without any fancy footwork.

7. 7 Posted by Deuce Artemis (... on 04 Oct, 2019 05:43 PM

That sounds like good advice! Thanks for getting back to me!

8. 8 Posted by ohdelilah on 05 Oct, 2019 11:42 PM

As a bonus, the "Share on Facebook" button works when I'm incognito as well.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac