Scrolling issues -- not just with images

Tamar

21 Sep, 2019 05:50 PM

Original problem I had -- scrolling through images when trying to put an image in a comment -- is still a problem and in some ways has gotten worse. Recently, when I tried to put in a descriptor for an image I just uploaded, I couldn't even scroll down to the place in which you fill in a description of the image. So not only can't I scroll through images, I can't even move down to fill in info on a new image.

In addition, I've found that I can't scroll when I want to see who recommended a comment. The box with screen names of those who recommended just disappears no matter what I do when I try to scroll.
Neither of these problems occurred in the old comment system.

Hope you can fix this -- these are not major structural defects but they do cause problems.

1. 1 Posted by Besame on 21 Sep, 2019 06:26 PM

YES yes - these are what I snooped around here to see if others were complaining about the problem or if it is just me. The Image Library problem is a bigger issue than the comment Rec name scroll.

2. 2 Posted by Tamar on 21 Sep, 2019 06:27 PM

Agree (about images being more important).
    It's very frustrating!

3. 3 Posted by siab on 22 Sep, 2019 06:53 AM

It's been working for me up until a couple of days ago, when it went back from being able to scroll with the wheel to having to pull the scrollbar down with the mouse. I'm guessing that the fix was part of a package that caused other problems, but can't say for sure.

4. 4 Posted by Tamar on 22 Oct, 2019 04:09 PM

It was working for me until recently, now it won't again.
    It makes using existing images almost impossible.

5. 5 Posted by Besame on 22 Oct, 2019 09:48 PM

It makes using existing images except for the top 2 rows impossible.

I've cleared cookies and cache, turned my computer off/on, used two
    browsers (Safari hadn't been used since the image scrolling issue began).
    Nothing has fixed this for me.

MacBook Pro - Mojave 10.14.6 - Chrome Version 77.0.3865.120 and Safari

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2019 10:02 PM

Oh boy. And not in a good way.

I'll investigate. Scrolling in general, and especially scrolling for "layers" of pages, pose really challenging problems.

Tamar and siab, could you please supply your OS and browser information as Besame has? It helps us replicate the issue in case it's browser-specific. Also, what technique/tool are you using to scroll--touchpad, arrow keys on the scrollbar, mousewheel? Thanks much.

7. 7 Posted by Besame on 22 Oct, 2019 10:12 PM

Thanks for looking into this - it's been screwed up for months and I never
    saw a period where it worked. I use only the MacBook track pad.

8. 8 Posted by Besame on 23 Oct, 2019 01:10 AM

Also - problem for me is not that the scroll bar doesn't work, it's that
    there is no scroll bar at all.

9. 9 Posted by Tamar on 23 Oct, 2019 05:40 AM

OK -- I'm using Chrome on an old iMac with Mojave 10.14.6
    I tried it on Safari also and had the same problem.

And like Besame, I find there is no scroll bar.

For a while things seemed to be working but I think it was because the old comment system was back up. But the bookmark I created to be able to use the old comment system doesn't get me to the old system anymore.

I have a bunch of problems with the new comment system -- but since this is mainly about scrolling, I won't list them here.
    Should I start another discussion about those problems?

10. 10 Posted by Tamar on 23 Oct, 2019 05:41 AM

sorry -- forgot to say, I'm using a bluetooth mouse -- apple type. It doesn't have a scroll wheel but scrolls by sliding my finger up and down on the mouse itself (like a mini-touch pad)

11. 11 Posted by siab on 23 Oct, 2019 01:42 PM

Didn't realize this was back live - I'm on a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 8.1, latest Firefox, no add-ons. 4 GB memory, which probably makes a lot of the difference. (Note: at least one tester at DK should be working with a low-RAM laptop, just for shits and giggles.)

I'm also switched back to the old comments and have been for a couple of weeks now, because the new ones were a PITA, so I don't know how it would work for me. The old comments setup is working just fine, thank you..

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Oct, 2019 08:00 PM

Many sighs.
    Yes, the scrolling issue is a perplexing one in general. I will try to summarize your reports of the problems and then see where we can go from there. Thanks for the details and for your perseverance.

13. 13 Posted by siab on 24 Oct, 2019 01:27 AM

Since somebody graciously(!) shifted me back to new comments, I can now report on what I'm seeing on the scrolling for the Image Library.

I can grab and pull on any of the scroll bars and move the pieces I want. However, if I just try to scroll, no matter where I am on the image page, the active scroll area is the diary/comment page behind the Image Library. So nothing moves on what should be the Active page, but I can watch the background text scrolling just fine. That should be a fairly simple fix, all things considered.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 06:12 PM

Great--well, not Great for the feature but you know what I mean. Thanks.
    I'll summarize your reports on the Image Library problems and pass them along to the developer who has become our in-house expert on scrolling. The list of recommenders is already close to being resolved, we hope. It is apparently not as easy a fix to implement (scrolling on layered pages) as we would think or like.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 06:58 PM

As I was documenting the issue on a setup which is similar though not absolutely identical in all respects to yours, I thought of something else to suggest. This may already be something you have tried and found not to work, I realize, but I wanted to mention it in the spirit of thoroughness. If we can narrow down the circumstances in which the Image Library (IL) scrollbar is or is not present and responsive, that helps the developer too.

When you are in the Image Library, it is in effect displayed on a page that is floating above the site page. For the scrolling mechanism to know that you are trying to activate on the "floater" and not the background page, it needs to have a signal conveyed so the focus for scrolling will be on the "floater," in this case the Image Library. In some cases the signal is conveyed automatically when the IL is opened. That seems to be the case fairly consistently on OSX/Firefox, for example.

But I see that on Chrome and Safari, merely opening the Image Library does not suffice for conveying that signal. I can get the scrollbar to show up and work, however, by clicking on the IL display with the trackpad or the mouse. (I'm talking here about the Mac OS, but the principle is the same for the PC.) Then, after the scrollbar shows up, I can use the arrow keys most reliably to use the scrollbar.

So, I want to double-check this with you: if you don't see a scrollbar at first you are also not having any success in generating it on the Image Library page by clicking on that area, in contrast to the background page.

Hope that makes sense! Apologies for enlisting you in troubleshooting to this extent, but it has been such a chronic problem I want to make sure that what we attempt as a fix makes sense to you. Everyone's use patterns is distinctive, and it's always interesting (and challenging) to make sure we're catching--and supporting--as many as we can.

16. 16 Posted by siab on 24 Oct, 2019 07:15 PM

I don't have disappearing scrollbars, but that was the suggestion I made earlier today to someone who does. It seemed counter-intuitive at first, but since the links are active when you click on them (and you couldn't tell, otherwise), it may be workable. Fingers crossed.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 07:39 PM

OK cool, siab, thanks. So then I may not be understanding what you mean by this:

I can grab and pull on any of the scroll bars and move the pieces I want. However, if I just try to scroll, no matter where I am on the image page, the active scroll area is the diary/comment page behind the Image Library.

By "just try to scroll" that means what exactly in terms of your technique?

18. 18 Posted by Tamar on 24 Oct, 2019 07:57 PM

I just tried your suggestion -- in Chrome. I clicked on the IL window and no scroll bar appeared. I tried clicking in various spots, but nothing happened. I tried again in safari, no dice. So it's not a fix for me.
    Is there still a link to the old comment system? This one is driving me crazy and not just because of the scrolling. I used to be able to search the comments within a diary using Command (apple) F but that's totally useless now. In addition, when I'm writing a comment, if someone else comments, the whole comment section jumps and I'm not longer in my comment. If I lose track of where I was commenting, e.g., I'm writing a comment and want to go back to the OP to copy a sentence or something, I have the devil of a time finding where I was writing my comment. And I never know where I am in the comment section.
    Please please tell me there's a way to link back to the old system!!

19. 19 Posted by siab on 24 Oct, 2019 08:21 PM

I use a standard PC mouse for almost all maneuvering. When I say I click and pull on the scrollbar, I mean I place the mouse on the scroll marker and click to move the marker. When I say scroll, I mean that I use the scroll wheel by itself, which with the old comments was enough to make the different page sections active, but is not with the new. No matter where the mouse arrow is, on the page, the scroll wheel by itself only moves the background page. I checked this both in Comments, and in the Image Library link by the avatar in the top right corner of the DK5 pages.

It is NOT true, however, in the version that comes up when I start a new diary, at least for the main image. That version works just fine on all levels - no scrolling problems whatsoever. I just tried it, both with an old draft and a brand new one.

Hopefully, you can figure out what the differences are and go from there?

20. 20 Posted by Tamar on 24 Oct, 2019 08:28 PM

Siab -- you're right! I can scroll images without any problem (both wheel and scroll bar) when I'm picking an image for a new diary.
    Very strange.

21. 21 Posted by Besame on 24 Oct, 2019 08:38 PM

Good news on the IL scroll - it is working now! When this problem first
    arose this summer, it sometimes worked if I clicked on an image and then
    the scroll bar would flicker into view but it was tricky to actually use as
    it would flicker away easily. I thought it required me to select an image
    for the right panel to somehow bring out the scroll bar but that hasn't
    worked for at least a month. I just checked it now, and the scroll bar
    appears if I try to scroll - it isn't visible until I actively do
    something. It works normally. YAY

22. 22 Posted by Tamar on 24 Oct, 2019 08:47 PM

Still not working for me on either Chrome or Safari.

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 09:14 PM

Thank you ALL for your details. It is just so interesting to try to sort all of this out. I'm relieved to hear of every aspect that does work so that we can narrow the field. The developer will be relieved too!

I appreciate your willingness to be a tester, Tamar, and I have one more question for you before I reply at length to your earlier set of questions. Did you check by clicking with a mouse, your trackpad, both?

I have good and bad news about the old and new comments.

Yes, you can still use the old ones: go to https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false and a site-wide cookie will be set. That won't last forever, though, so it is time to wrap up these lingering problems. It's good to keep hearing about them, even if you wind up feeling like a squeaky wheel.

That said, no, the command+F keyboard combo will not work with the new ones. I know, people are bummed. I think I recall that there is a fix in the works for that but am not 100% positive.

Yes, we need to address that comment-jumping issue. That won't do, and we'll have to figure out what's going on with that one. We'll dig some more into that issue as well. That may be one of the few larger ones left to tackle.

As for being able to locate your comment draft, that's slightly different and there is already an answer--though it will help in the meantime to find your elusive draft whether it has skittered away or you left it on purpose. The technique is described in one of elfling's later posts on the new comment rollout. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/21/1857954/-You-May-Have-Already-Won-The-Chance-to-Use-Daily-Kos-New-Comment-System The short answer is that if you have scrolled away, the draft comment SHOULD return to the center of your browser's window if you merely start typing again. (Capitalizing "should" conveys a little more skepticism than is warranted, honestly. We wouldn't be so diabolical to permit you to save comment drafts if we didn't also provide a way to find them again.) We do still want to know if it does NOT work for you as we would expect. I find that sometimes it takes typing in more than a few characters to get the draft to recenter, but that likely depends on load status, number of comments, etc.

There is another trick for finding the draft which is harder to explain than to do. It's really just a variation on the basic process, but you might prefer it. Start a comment and scroll away from it. You can get back to it with a combination of the 1 and 2 key commands. Which one you use -- 1 and then 2 or else 2 and then 1 -- depends on the location of your draft comment relative to the start/end.

When your cursor is outside of the draft comment box, which may have happened already as you ventured away from it, click on whichever number activates a reload. You'll go to the top, or to the bottom, comment for the story depending on the load status. Then click the other number. You should get redirected to your draft. It doesn't matter whether your comment was in preview or in draft mode when you leave it--though when you get back to it, no matter how you left it, you'll see it in draft mode.

And there you have yet another example of the idiosyncratic habits we acquire to move around the site. Funny how it all works.

24. 24 Posted by Tamar on 24 Oct, 2019 10:12 PM

Re: finding the comment I was working on: I have in the past tried just typing again (I read Elfling's diaries on this) and it has not brought up my draft comment. But I'll give it another try and also give the 1 and 2 trick a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have a track pad at all -- I have a bluetooth mouse (I'm on a desktop -- an iMac, not a Macbook). The mouse has a kind of trackpad element built in -- no scroll wheel but sliding your finger up and down on the top of the mouse scrolls the screen up and down. And it works perfectly for example, right here. I can scroll in this comment box or click outside this box and scroll the set of comments. It's just the images that seem to be a problem.
    Is it possible that my problems are partly due to my mouse? It's a standard Apple blue tooth mouse, not some unknown off-brand.

The funny thing is that I did some Beta testing of the new comment system and kind of liked it. I don't know if it's that I didn't use it enough or if other problems have arisen, but for me it's a real downgrade from the old system at this point.
    I don't want to whine -- I held off my complaints about DKos version 5 when it started because I figured I just needed to get used to it, and that turned out to be exactly right. I ended being very happy with it so you all never heard a complaint from me (that I remember!) on that. But the comment system problems are like having a stone in my shoe1

Thanks so much for your responsiveness on all this. I'll probably go back to the old system until you put it out of its misery.
    And I'll keep watch on this discussion.

25. 25 Posted by Besame on 06 Nov, 2019 03:14 AM

AAARRRRGGGHHHH Image Library scrolling is broken again. Sometime w/in the last couple days, I tried to find an image by scrolling and the old problem resumed but later that same day it was fine again. Now, today, no scrolling possible once again. When I try, the background page scrolls but not the IL pop out box images. Tried it several times today. AND - once I tried a tag search in IL and the pop out menu (Tag, Uploader, Description etc etc) stayed popped out and it moved along with the background page.

MacBook Pro Mojave 0.14.6 Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 using the Mac's track pad.

26. Support Staff 26 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Nov, 2019 08:42 PM

Bother. (I'd be more profane but this is not the main site.)

Let me see what I can discover. Thanks and sorry.

27. 27 Posted by Besame on 07 Nov, 2019 09:35 PM

Thanks. I discovered today that the IL scroll works for me in Safari but
    not in Chrome.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac