Malware bug with Kos

msirt

03 Sep, 2019 02:37 PM

I'm having a random "Update your Realplayer app" page open instead of desired target on occasional clicks in Kos. I know this intruding page to be Malware. I've run virus cleaning programs and deleted browser history and yet this bug persists and it only occurs on the Kos website - nowhere else in web surfing (Safari).

Are you aware of this? Can you offer any suggestions as to how to get rid of it?

Macbook pro platform - OS High Sierra - Safari browser

1. 1 Posted by Lynn (unverifie... on 04 Sep, 2019 03:58 AM

My company's malware detection program is blocking your pages (just starting today) and giving an error message saying that pages on your site are infected with malware. Looks like your DailyKos website has been hacked somehow. (I'm on Windows 7) Please investigate and fix the issue!

2. 2 Posted by msirt on 04 Sep, 2019 04:44 AM

I assume above reply is addressed to site admins and not to me.

3. 3 Posted by Lynn Robinson (... on 04 Sep, 2019 02:04 PM

I'm another DailyKos user, maybe you assumed I worked at DailyKos.  I
    was agreeing with you that DailyKos has a website problem and they need
    to remove the malware on their site.   You had posted to a DailyKos
    support forum that other DailyKos users can see and reply to.   Let's
    hope the DailyKos people fix it soon.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by elfling on 05 Sep, 2019 11:12 PM

I don't think this is on our site proper, but it's possible it came from an ad or from something local to your computer. What happens if you try using the site in a private/incognito window? Do you still see the behavior?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by elfling on 05 Sep, 2019 11:15 PM

Also, if you're able to capture a link for us that shows this behavior - both what you thought it would be and the code for what it actually was - that would be helpful. A screenshot may also help us troubleshoot this for you.

6. 6 Posted by msirt on 07 Sep, 2019 12:21 PM

Situation seems to have abated, at least for a few days.

7. 7 Posted by Lynn Robinson (... on 08 Sep, 2019 08:22 PM

I agree, the malware checking software is not complaining about Daily
    Kos links currently.

My company uses the 'Proofpoint, Inc.' malware-checking software
    (proofpoint.com, who claim their malware detection software is used by
    over half of Fortune 100 companies).   If it detects there is known
    malware on a link I click on, it puts up an error page telling you there
    is malware.  A Daily Kos administrator seems to be asking me to ignore
    the error and try to follow the link anyway (ignoring the Proofpoint
    error screen), but I think I would be foolhardy if I did that.  If there
    were truly malware on the linked page, my PC would likely get infected
    with a virus.

I suggest the Daily Kos cyber security expert should speak to the
    Proofpoint company and perhaps they could tell you more about the
    malware they detected on your site since I assume they log the errors.

8. 8 Posted by Lynn R (unverif... on 09 Sep, 2019 05:16 PM

Since this malware error message comes and goes, what you (Daily Kos) are saying about it maybe being caused by an ad might be true. I don't know if it is possible to have an infected ad (if so, DailyKos should not allow that ad). I still think the best approach is for the DailyKos cyber security person to speak with ProofPoint Inc since maybe Proofpoint can tell if the malware is associated with an ad or something directly on your DailyKos pages.

On the other thread about malware, someone else just said they are seeing the same problem so it is nothing specific to me or my PC.

9. 9 Posted by Peggy E William... on 09 Sep, 2019 06:44 PM

Is this problem a result of some malware? I often read some articles on DailyKos, but Never print them. In the last week or so, the list of articles/links is printing automatically, though not the whole email. One of my attempts to stop that was to unsubscribe to everything on Daily Kos. I've restarted my printer, checked settings, everything I can think of. It still prints every day! It prints in color, not my default, and is using up my ink! Getting expensive. Please fix!!!

10. 10 Posted by Eyesbright on 09 Sep, 2019 10:06 PM

Peggy E Williams, until the Help Desk gets time to reply to you, I'll suggest this for you:
    Clear your cache completely! Note that this will also clear any passwords that you've stored there so be sure you make a note of any you don't have memorized. Here's an article that will help you do that:

How to Clear Internet Cache in Every Major Browser
    Clear the cache in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE, Safari, and more
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cache-2617980

I'm not the Help Desk, just a long-time member. Lots of us try to help when we can.
    Good luck!

11. 11 Posted by Peggy Williams ... on 18 Sep, 2019 03:57 AM

I contacted both you and the Daily Kos online support with a complaint I’ll paste below. Since I posted that, I have not only unsubscribed from all Daily Kos emails, but have cleared my cache and tried everything I can think of. Please fix this! Seriously! With no subscription, I cannot cancel anything and there doesn’t seem to be a way to contact anybody about this problem. My next option is to go public, on FB or elsewhere. Please help!

Peggy Williams

Sent this on 8/29/19 and haven’t had a helpful response:

Is this problem a result of some malware? I often read some articles on DailyKos, but Never print them. In the last week or so, the list of articles/links is printing automatically, though not the whole email. One of my attempts to stop that was to unsubscribe to everything on Daily Kos. I've restarted my printer, checked settings, everything I can think of. It still prints every day! It prints in color, not my default, and is using up my ink! Getting expensive. Please fix!!!

Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2019 1:07 PM
    To: Peggy Williams <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Thanks for contacting Action Network support!

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Thanks for reaching out to Action Network support! We've received your request and we will answer as quickly as we can.

DO YOU NEED TECH SUPPORT FROM ACTION NETWORK?

If you're emailing with questions about using Action Network's toolset, bugs, problems, or other similar things, we’ve put answers to some commonly asked questions at the bottom of this email. Please read those now to see if they answer your question.

If those don’t answer your question, please check out our help documents: https://help.actionnetwork.org/hc/en-us

In the help section we have tutorial videos about each section of the site, and a search bar in the lower right.

If you’ve read the help documents and you've answered your question, great! Please let us know by replying to this email. If not, we'll reply back to you as soon as we can. (We generally work normal business hours, but we try to reply as quickly as possible.)

Please make sure to email us links to the things you have questions about so we can answer your question more quickly. For example, if you're having trouble with a group, send us the link to the group. If you're having trouble with an action, send us the link to the action. You can reply to this email with those links so we have them.

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN ACTION NETWORK PARTNER?

Please visit https://actionnetwork.org/partnerships for more info and to sign up to become a partner.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I want to unsubscribe

If you're trying to unsubscribe, the best and only way to do so is to click the unsubscribe link in the footer of the email you've received and then confirm your unsubscription on that page.

I am trying to contact an event host or post on the discussion board

If you've RSVPed for an event and have questions for your host or if you're responding to a discussion board post, a link to the event details and discussion board for your event was included in the email you received. Click that event details or discussion board link to post on the discussion board and your host and others who've RSVPed will receive an email with your comment or question so they can reply.

I need to update my name or mailing address

You can update your name or address by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of emails you receive and filling out the update form.

I need to reset my password

If you forgot your password, you can recover it and regain access to your account easily. Click the "Forgot your password?" link on the login page and enter the email address you used to sign up for your account. We'll send an email to that email address with a link to reset your password. Click that link and enter a new password to regain access to your account.

I want to cancel my recurring donation

You should be receiving an email regarding your contribution. There's a manage subscription button there where you can cancel your donation. If you can't find those emails, you'll need to reach out to the organization that you're giving to directly to cancel your donation.

I want to contact an organization using Action Network (about a refund, about their work, or really about anything)

Unfortunately, per our privacy policy, we cannot provide you contact information for them, nor can we forward your emails along.

Thanks!

-- the Action Network team

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Peggy Williams

Aug 29, 1:06 PM EDT

I was receiving several emails from Daily Kos and the action network. A week or more ago, they started printing automatically several times a day. They’re using up all my ink!

I have canceled all subscriptions from Daily Kos but I am still having automatic printing. Is there a cookie or something I can disable? Help!

I have tried contacting the action network with my home email address, my husband‘s work email address, and the printer’s email address. For each of them I get a response that there is no account attached. Help!

Peggy Williams

This email is a service from Action Network. Delivered by <https://www.zendesk.com/support/?utm_campaign=text&utm_content=Action+Network&utm_medium=poweredbyzendesk&utm_source=email-notification> Zendesk

[DO05KE-83YR]

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac