I receive e-mails but cannot access the articles.

john townsend (unverified)

05 Aug, 2019 04:20 AM

I receive the Daily Kos e-mails, but when I click on the link to articles, there is no access. This has been the case for about three weeks.
Not computer proficient, so please advise if others have this problem and how it is being fixed.

Thank you

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by elfling on 05 Aug, 2019 08:12 PM

Can you be more specific about "no access"? Do you get a message saying you don't have permission to view or do you get a message saying that page doesn't exist? It is possible for you to share with me a specific link that didn't work as you expected?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Bob Breinholt on 05 Aug, 2019 10:09 PM

Have been reading KOS for several years. You can forward articles on face book etc., I would like to forward with email without copying and pasting. I'm 90 years old and \don't do facebook etc but I can email., LOVE KOS and try to forward when I can. IOVE KOS never subscribed ,but would be more than willing to. Bob

3. 3 Posted by Bob Breinholt on 05 Aug, 2019 10:23 PM

I think there may be more people corresponding. I'm rather computer illiterate so you might just email me as to how to email an article without copying and pasting. Read regularly, but not a subscriber. Will be happy tom subscribe it that helps Bob

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Moderator1 on 06 Aug, 2019 02:06 AM

Sorry, we do not have a one-click method to email articles on Daily Kos as some other information sites do.

But you can email an article without copying and pasting the entire article into an email

You only have to copy the url link for the article and then paste just the link in your email.

It's hard to know what you mean by "computer illiterate", but I'll try to give a simple explanation.

The url is close to the top of the page. Each article has a different one.

Open up the article you want to send.

Then look near the very top of the page for the long string of code that starts with https://www.dailykos.com/

If you highlight and copy that whole long line of computer code, you can paste just that code into an email. Then the recipient of the email will be able to click on the link and read the article.

Give it a try, tell us where you get stuck and we will walk you through it.

Thanks for your interest in sharing Daily Kos articles!

5. 5 Posted by john townsend (... on 06 Aug, 2019 05:52 AM

Dear Elfling:

I get the below message when choosing an article link on today's "Daily Kos Recommended" e-mail blast. When I run the diagnostic, it says DNS cannot find the address.

Thank you,
    John Townsend

This site can’t be reached

u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net’s server IP address could not be found.

- Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

On Monday, August 5, 2019, 01:12:47 PM PDT, elfling <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

6. 6 Posted by john townsend (... on 06 Aug, 2019 05:57 AM

Also, does not reload when reload button clicked.

John Townsend
        On Monday, August 5, 2019, 01:12:47 PM PDT, elfling <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

7. 7 Posted by john townsend (... on 06 Aug, 2019 04:25 PM

I do not want to e-mail articles, only open the links to each of them after opening the main Daily Kos e-mail.
        On Monday, August 5, 2019, 07:06:15 PM PDT, Moderator1 <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by elfling on 06 Aug, 2019 05:55 PM

Okay, I understand now what is failing for you, but not why. Those links do work for me so it's something about how your local network is processing an intermediate step in the link. Still trying to puzzle out how we could get a fix for you.

9. 9 Posted by T100R on 07 Aug, 2019 07:19 PM

Elfling - See my response to this thread: https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/discussions/problems/180902-cant-open...
    Sendgrid has a DNS issue. If it was only a few folk I'd think it had to do with a stale DNS cache on their local machine, but enough people are experiencing this that I strongly suspect that it is at Sendgrid's end. It's been long enough since I had to diagnose an issue of this sort that I can't really offer more help, but I think you should be in touch with Sendgrid's support staff if you are not already. In the meantime, sufficiently computer savvy users who are having this problem might try switching their DNS to some other server, for instance the Google server at 8.8.8.8.
    There are a bunch of other possibilities listed here: https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by elfling on 07 Aug, 2019 08:02 PM

Thanks T000R! Indeed I am pursuing this with Sendgrid.

11. 11 Posted by john townsend (... on 08 Aug, 2019 01:07 AM

I have no problem going directly to Google, accessing Daily Kos and the article links. I cannot access those links throughmy Yahoo e-mail account.
    John Townsend
        On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 01:02:59 PM PDT, elfling <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

12. 12 Posted by Mary Anne (unve... on 08 Aug, 2019 05:22 PM

Attached is the error message received when I click on links in email message using windows 10 and earthlink.

13. 13 Posted by john townsend (... on 08 Aug, 2019 11:03 PM

That's my response too! Now what is the solution?

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 10:22:59 AM PDT, Mary Anne <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Aug, 2019 06:05 PM

Hello again to all.
    We don't have a fix implemented yet, but one is in the works now. Thanks, everyone, for being persistent in raising the issue so that we could address it more fully with Sendgrid. We will get back to you to let you know when the situation has been remedied.

15. 15 Posted by Roger Pritchard... on 16 Aug, 2019 08:36 PM

Count me in on this problem. Still no ability to access Daily Kos links and links from other emails that use sendgrid.net.
    Example of message failure:"This site can’t be reached u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net’s server IP address could not be found."

16. 16 Posted by Roger Pritchard... on 24 Aug, 2019 10:38 PM

This problem was first reported on August 4 and there still is no fix.

Let me add that my ISP is EarthLink.

Please respond now, at least with an update.

17. 17 Posted by john townsend (... on 24 Aug, 2019 11:01 PM

Still no result here.

On Saturday, August 24, 2019, 03:38:16 PM PDT, Roger Pritchard <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

18. 18 Posted by Christine Gr (u... on 08 Oct, 2019 08:19 PM

19. 19 Posted by john townsend (... on 09 Oct, 2019 12:15 AM

same problem here. This way for months.
        On Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 01:19:42 PM PDT, Christine Gr <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

20. 20 Posted by Roger Pritchard... on 09 Oct, 2019 05:38 AM

No change for me either. Could the problem be with our ISPs? Which is yours, John? Which, Christine, is yours?

21. 21 Posted by christine_on_16... on 09 Oct, 2019 07:28 AM

I switched the dns config and it works now. Try this:
    Go to dns config and change from automatic to manual.
    Add 2 new servers and make sure they come first in the list of servers:
    1.0.0.1 (This is the backup)
    Leave your original server for last.
    Try again.

Christine

22. 22 Posted by christine_on_16... on 09 Oct, 2019 07:32 AM

I switched the dns config and it works now. Try this:
    Go to dns config and change from automatic to manual.
    Add 2 new servers and make sure they come first in the list of servers:
    1.0.0.1 (This is the backup)
    Leave your original server for last.
    Try again.
    Christine

23. 23 Posted by john townsend (... on 09 Oct, 2019 03:33 PM

How many people really know how to do that?
        On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 12:28:52 AM PDT, christine_on_16 <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

24. 24 Posted by Roger Pritchard... on 10 Oct, 2019 04:46 AM

I am not one of them……………..

25. 25 Posted by Julie (unverifi... on 11 Oct, 2019 09:54 AM

I have the same problem. I get an error every time I try to open a link from an email. I also have Earthlink. I just tried a link to a petition and got this: Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net.

It's been this way for ages.

26. 26 Posted by John Townsend (... on 11 Oct, 2019 05:13 PM

This site can’t be reachedu1584542.ct.sendgrid.net’s server IP address could not be found.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac