Get 404 error message when submitting subscription

Squeaky41

28 Jul, 2019 09:52 PM

Cant enter subscription.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 29 Jul, 2019 12:01 AM

Hi

We're sorry, but due to technical issues that resulted from our comments new roll-out, the site's Subscription page has been temporarily disabled while we correct some errors.

Apologies for the inconvenience. It really is nice to have no ads, and we'll get that back in place as soon as we can.

I'm keeping you on a list of people to notify when subscriptions are available again.
    Thanks for your support of the site's mission.

2. 2 Posted by orgsynth on 29 Sep, 2019 02:31 AM

Is this still down? I just tried to subscribe today (Sept 28) and also got a 404.

3. 3 Posted by Hinoema01 on 01 Oct, 2019 10:42 PM

Still down. Let me give you money!!!

4. 4 Posted by Squeaky41 on 01 Oct, 2019 11:14 PM

No longer a problem.
        On Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 03:42:16 PM PDT, Hinoema01 <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv8603013779 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8603013779 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

5. 5 Posted by TenThousandThin... on 04 Oct, 2019 06:13 PM

Hi Please add me to the list of people to notify. I've been trying to subscribe for some time now.

6. 6 Posted by cutbertburby on 04 Oct, 2019 09:12 PM

Dear Hinomena and TenThousand,

Still doesn’t work for me. No email from support. Must not be an IT priority.
    D

7. 7 Posted by cutbertburby on 04 Oct, 2019 09:13 PM

Dear orgsynth,

Still doesn’t work for me. No email from support. Must not be an IT priority.
    D

8. 8 Posted by mslat27 on 04 Oct, 2019 11:54 PM

I think I am a subscriber but today I started seeing ads. Why?

9. 9 Posted by hawaiigirl on 05 Oct, 2019 03:09 PM

Wonder why no response? Same issue. Subscriber but seeing ads.

10. 10 Posted by Eyesbright on 05 Oct, 2019 05:23 PM

I'm not the Help Desk, just a long-time user. Lots of us try to help when we can. That said...

mslat27,
    I looked at your profile and it does not show that you're a subscriber. That may well be a matter of your subscription having expired - and that could explain the sudden appearance of ads.

hawaiigirl,
    The exact same thing applies to you.

Near the beginning of this Help Desk thread, a Moderator posted (on July 29th) that they had encountered a technical problem (connected to the new comments system) that impacted the subscriber records/system. That was, obviously, more than 2 months ago. You'd think fixing that would be a relatively high priority, not just for the lost $$$ but also for the impact on the Daily Kos community/users. The sudden appearance of ads on people who HAD been subscribers and WANT to be subscribers (many of whom became subscribers specifically to avoid ads) is even more troubling.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is highly disgusted.

11. 11 Posted by cjhbeller on 07 Oct, 2019 05:17 PM

I too have tried to subscribe and sent emails over and over!
    Nothing!!!!!
    Add me to list too... if they are reading!

12. 12 Posted by orgsynth on 10 Oct, 2019 12:57 PM

It is Oct 10 and the subscription system is still down. I didn't understand Squeaky41's post - is it down for everyone or just some subset of us? Thank you Eyesbright for the response. Agreed that it is troubling that just about three months have passed and the system is still broken.

13. 13 Posted by mslat27 on 10 Oct, 2019 02:40 PM

This is so frustrating.   We have been attempting to alert the Help Desk but they won't answer us.  So they are probably busy fixing something else.  But at least a word or two to let us know they heard us would be nice. 

Not only is the subscription system down but the current subscriptions are broken.  I have a subscription but I'm seeing ads. 

What good is a Help Desk if they won't communicate!

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Moderator1 on 10 Oct, 2019 05:40 PM

We're still working on the site subscription issue, and again apologize for the inconvenience.

I'm keeping you on a list of people to notify when subscriptions are available again.

15. 15 Posted by mslat27 on 10 Oct, 2019 06:21 PM

Thanks for the response.  Question:  Is my subscription expired or, if not, why am I seeing ads?

16. 16 Posted by hawaiigirl on 12 Oct, 2019 02:18 AM

Aloha,
    Thanks for getting back to us. I really appreciate you.
    At this point, is this a feature? Are we not having an option to NOT see
    ads? My eyeballs are bleeding and my KOS experience has been corporately
    highjacked.
    I can see that there must be lots of money being made...while the user
    experience sucks! Surprised no diary yet...

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Oct, 2019 11:22 PM

Hello everyone.

I'm sorry that it's taken as long as it has to get this resolved. Not to excuse the long delay, but to explain why it has been several months without a resolution: It has turned out to be the kind of project that uncovers other key issues that have to be addressed first--not unlike starting a "small" household renovation only to discover that this, that, and the other thing have to be fixed along the way. On top of that, we have some other back-end work being done that requires the upgraded subscription portal to be adjusted anyway to accommodate the new code there, too.

We are making very good progress on all of that foundational work, and without promising a completion date I can say that this important user feature will be reactivated again soon.

Sorry that you have had to wait so long regardless. We will make a point of letting people know when subs are back in action again.

18. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Oct, 2019 11:22 PM.

19. cjhbeller re-opened this discussion on 16 Oct, 2019 12:16 AM

20. 18 Posted by cjhbeller on 16 Oct, 2019 12:16 AM

THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone

21. 19 Posted by mslat27 on 16 Oct, 2019 01:59 AM

Thanks for letting us know. 

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac