Overlay issues on Android--Galaxy Note 3

txdoubledd

23 Jul, 2019 07:14 PM

I have had the same problem since last week a Galaxy Note 3.

the site works on all other devices This happened suddenly last week and cleared up briefly for about 5 hours and then failed again and has never returned. I tried clearing the cache still nothing, pulled the battery, logged out and back in nothing has worked. all other sites I visit work.

both mobile and desk top mode do not work.

my phone doesn't indicate any recent update of the phone's operating system.

how do you check on the cookie?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Jul, 2019 07:17 PM

Hi txdoubledd --

I decided to split off your follow-up into its own thread since the user who made the original one over there has resolved the problem.

Thus, I'm pasting in here the second comment you made on that other thread:

By the way it will no longer allow the desktop view at all but will allow me to go to the "help" desk although I am not using the phone for this right now.

my screen show log in, front page, recommended and recent with no diaries listed underneath any of the banners.. it does move from banner to banner

if I go back to a diary I previously accessed it sometimes will show the title and a banner with the word "comments" but none of the body of the diary or any ads or anything else.

I am not getting the update password at all.

Now that it's all here, I'll start a separate comment to see if we can get you sorted.

2. 2 Posted by txdoubledd on 24 Jul, 2019 03:05 AM

Daily Kos Staff, so you can split off the discussion but I see zero suggestions of what the problem is or how to solve it.

At one point the desk suggested that it could be a problem with cookies yet when I asked how to deal with that I get crickets!

Could someone please see what happened on your end on or about the 17th that suddenly started this problem?

The desk asked questions and they were answered by several people and then nothing. This has been going on for at least 6 days.

Hello

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jul, 2019 08:17 PM

Sorry. It's been pretty busy around here, and we know that the delays are annoying.

So, let's see what we can do.

First, it appears that your difficulties with the Android notice overlay continue. Are you able to touch on any portion of the screen, even something that might seem to be part of the overlay, and thereby get the gray to disappear? For some users, that has been enough to get it to go away.

Second, about cookies. Cookies are little bits of data that websites send to the computers that access them. With cookies, we do things like keep you logged in from session to session and recognize your other preferences. They are browser-dependent, so if you are on a variety of browsers/computers then what you see for our site on one may not be the same on all of them.

At this point, I am going to give you some background information about how to clear them, but I actually don't think that's the key issue for you to address now. So please consider this next paragraph an aside.

Depending on your browser, you CAN clear cookies for Daily Kos only, in case you'd rather not remove all the little pieces of data that are helpful to you from other websites you visit. But it's a little tricky to get there if you are unfamiliar with your browser's settings. I'm attaching a little screenshot that describes the process, generally speaking, for Chrome. Some of the steps might be named a little differently, unfortunately; I can't provide precise instructions for every combination. But this might help.

Right now, though, I am happy to tell you that the overlay is about to be removed. It's about to become obsolete, as we move to the next step in the password change process for our site users. So the more important task, leaving cookies aside for the time being, is to get your password changed. Where are you with that process?

If you know your current password, you should do your best to dismiss the overlay and if you succeed, login to the site. Then go to your Edit Profile page using this link: https://www.dailykos.com/user/txdoubledd/edit You will be able to access it ONLY when you are logged in (and if that pesky overlay isn't interfering). On that page there is a Change Password link. When you click on it, you'll see a popup window where you will need to enter your old password once and your new password twice. If the new ones match, and if the new one is not on our "common passwords" list, then you'll be all set!

If you do NOT know your current password, but you DO know the email associated with your Daily Kos username, you can use the Forgot your password? link connected to the login page: https://www.dailykos.com/login Supplying your email address there will get a reset link sent to you, and when you complete THAT you will also be all set.

I'm sorry it's been so frustrating for you. I very much appreciate your patience and persistence.

4. 4 Posted by txdoubledd on 25 Jul, 2019 02:12 AM

Suddenly this evening dkos is back without me changing the password. I will see if I can do that now but really 6 full days of this problem is not helpful when clearly since I didn't do anything new with cookies or otherwise since I cleared my cache last week.

5. 5 Posted by txdoubledd on 25 Jul, 2019 02:18 AM

I attempted to change the password and when I entered the old and new X2 and hit the button change password nothing happens. Go figure

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Jul, 2019 08:49 PM

Huh. Let's see what we can figure out. There is a solution, I am confident of it.
    Did you see this confirmation screen when you entered the new one x2? (See attached.)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac