Password

Reader Ray

23 Jul, 2019 06:41 PM

I’m trying to change my password as requested but am being told the password I’m currently using is wrong. How can I discover what my current password is so I can change it? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 23 Jul, 2019 07:53 PM

Hi, Reader Ray

Here is the link for the complete step-by-step instructions for resetting your password:
    https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/security-and-privacy/step-by-step-...

You will want to scroll to the bottom for the section that reads:
    "Forgot Password" instructions—IF YOU DO NOT KNOW your current password.

If you're still having difficulties please open a private Help Desk ticket and tell us what kind of device and browser you're using.

Thank you

2. 2 Posted by Reader Ray on 23 Jul, 2019 09:53 PM

I tried again to reset my password. I had two old passwords saved and
    neither worked. What do I do now?

3. 3 Posted by I also sent thi... on 23 Jul, 2019 10:50 PM

I also sent this in and have not seen a reply from HelpDesk's Avatar

I sent a report of this in a couple of days ago. I think I MAY have changed my password at some point recently but I've been going around and around with this so much that I haven't a clue what my password is now. ... So, like a good little kossack, I clicked on the "Forgot password" link which took me to a page where I could log in.... IF I REMEMBERED MY OLD PASSWORD. This was obviously the "Change Password" page and not the "I FORGOT my password" page as expected. Still no reply abohelp desk and admins can get this sorted soonut reporting that. I've read the Step by Step instructions and followed them i hope the as best i could but with no luck.
    I hope the Help Desk and Admins can get this sorted soon. Oddly, I still don't see ads but I can only READ the comments rather than rec or reply, weird.

4. 4 Posted by daddybunny (unv... on 23 Jul, 2019 10:53 PM

oops. I can't even fill out the forms correctly any more... MY BAD! This goes with the above reply. "I also sent..."

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Moderator1 on 24 Jul, 2019 12:52 AM

Let's see if we can figure this out.

If you don't remember your password, but you DO remember the email associated with your DK account, you can reset your password using the Log In button.

First, log off the site on all devices (this password reset link will not work if you are logged in).

You can log off by clicking on your username in the top right corner of the page, or by using the pulldown menu from your username.

Once you are logged out on all devices, the words Log In will appear in the top right corner where your username used to be.

Click on Log In and you will see the "Forgot your password?" link. Click that and follow the instructions from there.

Beware--changing your password this way will NOT automatically change it in your browser. If your browser saves your passwords, make sure you update it by manually entering the new password, otherwise the browser may continue autofilling the old password and you will be locked out.

Please give these steps a try and let us know how it goes!

Thank you for taking care of this today, since tomorrow we anticipate the Help Desk will be overwhelmed with password changes.

6. 6 Posted by Clyde Horn (unv... on 24 Jul, 2019 08:23 AM

Thanks!! I’ll give it a go tomorrow. I see that my iPhone is still on so I must have changed it successfully. I believe the missing piece is to ensure that ALL devices are logged out before changing it.
    Thanks again!
    - Clyde

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jul, 2019 03:17 PM

Excellent. Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that you think you're on the right path.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2019 03:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac