can't open the links in your emails

Christy R Sacks (unverified)

22 Jul, 2019 09:52 PM

I read your emails every day and until now I've never encountered any tech problems accessing the articles listed in them. Yesterday every time I tried to activate a link, I got this message:

This site can’t be reached u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The same thing is occurring today. My email comes via Mozilla Thunderbird. The articles show up on Chrome. Any suggestions? Have other people reported this?

1. 1 Posted by Christy R Sacks... on 23 Jul, 2019 01:55 PM

At your suggestion I followed the directions in Chrome to clear out the cache. That did not fix the problem. The same error message occurs when I used Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Have you had any other reports about this same u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net error message?

2. 2 Posted by Stuart (unverif... on 24 Jul, 2019 02:04 PM

Same issue with all links handled by ActionNetwork and routed through a mail service called sendgrid.
    We can’t connect to the server at u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net.
    Beagan a few days ago, NO blockers of any kind, no changes to browsers. Same in Firefox and Chrome.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jul, 2019 03:01 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking us about this issue.

I suspect you are encountering a problem similar to what other users have been reporting recently, though this error message that they "cannot connect" is a new wrinkle.

I'll check again with the developers who help manage the interface between Action Network, our emailer, and our site links. But probably they'll conclude that the issue arises from an excess of concern on the part of your own email host and/or your internet service provider. If I learn otherwise, I will return to this ticket to give you an update.

Depending on your security protections in place with your browser, your network, or your email provider, it might suffice if you permit link-forwarding. Or it might be necessary to go one level up and permit links from sendgrid.net (At the moment, we can't be any more exact than this in describing the URLs.)

There is at least one workaround you can try in the event that you are not able to get the sendgrid links to be deemed acceptable.

If the links within your emails are displaying properly, in most cases what you'll see are the story titles (and it's usually quite obvious what are not). So if you go directly to dailykos.com with a keyword from a headline, you'll be able to find it. The Search window is toward the top right corner of the front page and any story page. Put the keyword or phrase in the Search window, click the spyglass icon, and you'll see a list of titles containing it. If it's distinctive enough, it'll be the only possibility returned.

Thanks for your interest in keeping up-to-date through us about the latest political developments and the activism we sorely need to protect our country.

4. 4 Posted by ChristySacks (u... on 24 Jul, 2019 10:07 PM

Is there anything I can do on my end to resolve this?
    Christy

5. 5 Posted by ChristySacks (u... on 24 Jul, 2019 10:10 PM

Thanks for following up.
    Christy

6. 6 Posted by stunezin (unver... on 24 Jul, 2019 11:28 PM

I have no idea since I have no idea who you are. Plainly the issue is with Sendgrip, the email router being used, since absolutely nothing has changed on my end.

---------- Original Message ----------

7. 7 Posted by Dcedar on 25 Jul, 2019 01:59 AM

I have been having the same issue on my iPad and phone . When I turn off my WiFi I can I can follow the links no problem.

8. 8 Posted by Ro (unverified) on 25 Jul, 2019 02:43 AM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: can't open the links in your emails

Having the same problem as all above and don't understand your recommendation about security protection and levels. I have discovered going into the website directly, but that's a pain in the neck and doesn't necessarily get me to the same petitions or articles that are in the e-mail. I even tried to unsubscribe and subscribe new, but that link doesn't work either. Clearly there's a problem and it's not us; it's at your end. I hope you can fix it. At this point I just want to unsubscribe.

9. 9 Posted by stunezin (unver... on 25 Jul, 2019 03:41 AM

not wifi, hard wire

To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: can't open the links in your emails [Problems #180902]
    Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 02:00:01 +0000

// Please reply above this line
     ==================================================
    I have been having the same issue on my iPad and phone . When I turn off my WiFi I can I can follow the links no problem.
    On Wed, Jul 24 at 04:28 PM PDT, stunezin wrote:
    I have no idea since I have no idea who you are. Plainly the issue is with Sendgrip, the email router being used, since absolutely nothing has changed on my end.

10. 10 Posted by Deborah Cedar (... on 25 Jul, 2019 04:09 AM

What I meant was when I disable WiFi on my phone I have no problem following the link

Deborah Cedar
    [email blocked]

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Jul, 2019 03:50 PM

Hello, and thanks for the follow-up comments.

What Dcedar says above is a big clue: "When I turn off my WiFi I can I can follow the links no problem." That indicates that the WiFi provider is doing something to block the sendgrid links, not us. If it were comprehensive, something on our end, then 1) we'd have even more complaints and 2) we'd not have any documentation that users are reading those emails and following the links.

I'll see if I can get any more specific suggestions for you to use to get them to pass through without incident.

12. 12 Posted by stunezin (unver... on 25 Jul, 2019 05:33 PM

And if you read my reply, you'd have a clue. NO wifi in use, hardwired connection

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 15:50:55 +0000

Hello, and thanks for the follow-up comments.
    What Dcedar says above is a big clue: "When I turn off my WiFi I can I can follow the links no problem." That indicates that the WiFi provider is doing something to block the sendgrid links, not us. If it were comprehensive, something on our end, then 1) we'd have even more complaints and 2) we'd not have any documentation that users are reading those emails and following the links.
    I'll see if I can get any more specific suggestions for you to use to get them to pass through without incident.
    On Wed, Jul 24 at 08:41 PM PDT, stunezin wrote:
    not wifi, hard wire

13. 13 Posted by T100R on 25 Jul, 2019 07:58 PM

All of the admin's responses have ignore the fact the the OP provided a significant piece of information: The error given is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. This is a DNS failure, DNS being the system used to translate domain names to internet addresses. What it says is that the local DNS client tried to look up the specified domain (in this case, u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net) and got a Not Found response back from the server. The fact that this is happening to a bunch of people but not everyone suggests that sendgrid changed something in its DNS configuration and the change did not propagate properly through all the servers or that some people's computers have cached obsolete DNS information. If it were only a few people, I'd think it was an issue with their local DNS cache. But the fact that this is affecting a bunch of people suggests that it may be an issue at sendgrid's end.

The fact that switching wi-fi off fixed it for one person just means that his wi-fi provider uses a different DNS server than his non wi-fi provider. (I've seen this happen with my VPN, which uses its own DNS servers - sometimes I can't connect to a site with VPN on, but I can with VPN off).

On the assumption that the issue is a local DNS cacheing issue, and not some problem at the other end, the following web site has a bunch of suggestions that may well help, though they require a modicum of tech savvy:

https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/dns_probe_finished_nxdomain/

A Google search for DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN brings up a number of sites addressing this issue, but they all seem to have advice similar to that in the link above.

14. 14 Posted by stunezin (unver... on 25 Jul, 2019 11:20 PM

Procedures on fix link followed successfully. problem remains. Believe problem originates with Sendgrid as all sendgrid routed links in ALL sites remain unreachable.

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 19:58:46 +0000

All of the admin's responses have ignore the fact the the OP provided a significant piece of information: The error given is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. This is a DNS failure, DNS being the system used to translate domain names to internet addresses. What it says is that the local DNS client tried to look up the specified domain (in this case, u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net) and got a Not Found response back from the server. The fact that this is happening to a bunch of people but not everyone suggest that sendgrid changed something in its DNS configuration and the change did not propagate properly through all the servers or some people's computers have cached obsolete DNS information. If it were only a few people, I'd think it was an issue with their local DNS cache. But the fact that this is affecting a bunch of people suggests that it may be an issue at sendgrid's end.
    The fact that switching wi-fi off fixed it for one person just means that his wi-fi provider uses a different DNS server than his non wi-fi provider. (I've seen this happen with my VPN, which uses its own DNS servers - sometimes I can't connect to a site with VPN on, but I can with VPN off).
    On the assumption that the issue is a local DNS cacheing issue, and not some problem at the other end, the following web site has a bunch of suggestions that may well help, though they require a modicum of tech savvy:
    https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/dns_probe_finished_nxdomain/
    A Google search for DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN brings up a number of sites addressing this issue, but they all seem to have advice similar to that in the link above.
    On Thu, Jul 25 at 10:33 AM PDT, stunezin wrote:
    And if you read my reply, you'd have a clue. NO wifi in use, hardwired connection

15. 15 Posted by jsb2b (unverifi... on 28 Aug, 2019 08:34 PM

I fixed this problem by doing the following:
    Change TCP/IP4 proxy settings:
    Open “Network and Sharing Center”;
    Select “Change adapter settings”;
    Locate for your Network Connection provider in “Local Area Connection” or “Wireless Connection” and select “Properties” by right-clicking on the icon;
    In the newly opened window, opt for the “Internet Protocol (4 TCP/IPv4)” and click “Properties”;
    Mark the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option;
    Then, type in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    After you are done with these steps, click OK and close the remaining windows. You are now using Google's Public DNS server. You can pick any DNS server you can find if you do not like Google.

16. 16 Posted by Rosemarie Pace ... on 29 Aug, 2019 12:04 AM

Thanks.

Where do I find TCP/IP4? How will this effect everything else on the computer?

17. 17 Posted by jsb2b (unverifi... on 29 Aug, 2019 06:32 PM

Rosemarie Pace,
    Windows 10:
    Right click the Windows icon in lower left corner.
    Click Network Settings.
    Click Ethernet.
    Right click Ethernet.
    Click Properties.
    Click Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4).
    Click properties.
    In the bottom half, select button Use the following DNS server address:
    In preferred DNS server:type 8.8.8.8
    In Alternate DNS server: type 8.8.4.4
    Click OK.
    On Ethernet Properties, Click OK.
    Exit out of Network Connections. You should be able to view Daily KOS links imbedded in their emails via the https:/u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net client. I did not have to reboot for this to work but your mileage may vary. Just double check to see if the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 remained. I have found no adverse effects after the change.

18. 18 Posted by johnboth (unver... on 29 Aug, 2019 06:38 PM

Rosemarie Pace,
    Windows 10:
    Right click the Windows icon in lower left corner.
    Click Network Settings.
    Click Ethernet.
    Right click Ethernet.
    Click Properties.
    Click Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4).
    Click properties.
    In the bottom half, select button Use the following DNS server address:
    In preferred DNS server:type 8.8.8.8
    In Alternate DNS server: type 8.8.4.4
    Click OK.
    On Ethernet Properties, Click OK.
    Exit out of Network Connections. You should be able to view Daily KOS links imbedded in their emails via the https:/u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net client. I did not have to reboot for this to work but your mileage may vary. Just double check to see if the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 remained. I have found no adverse effects after the change. I had to alter my Android tablet and phone also.Open &ldquo;Settings&rdquo; and go to &ldquo;Wi-Fi.&rdquo;
    Press-hold your selected network and then click &ldquo;Modify network.&rdquo;
    Opt for the advanced options by marking the &ldquo;Show advanced options&rdquo; box.
    Choose &ldquo;Static&rdquo; next to the &ldquo;IP settings.&rdquo;
    Type in DNS servers IP addresses to &ldquo;DNS 1&rdquo;(8.8.8.8) and &ldquo;DNS 2&rdquo;(8.8.4.4) sections.
    Click &ldquo;Save&rdquo; and reconnect to the network to activate the settings.

19. 19 Posted by Rosemarie Pace ... on 30 Aug, 2019 02:58 AM

I have a Mac, no Windows 10.

20. 20 Posted by stunezin (unver... on 30 Aug, 2019 03:10 AM

google is you friendhttp://www.macinstruct.com/node/434

21. 21 Posted by johnboth (unver... on 30 Aug, 2019 02:49 PM

Go to the Apple menu, select &ldquo;System Preferences&rdquo; and click &ldquo;Network&rdquo;;

Enter password (if required to authenticate) to proceed with the changes;
    Select the network connection you want to modify:To change Google Public DNS setting on Ethernet, click on &ldquo;Built-In Ethernet&rdquo; and select &ldquo;Advanced&rdquo;;
    To change wireless network settings, choose &ldquo;Airport&rdquo; and, again, opt for the &ldquo;Advanced&rdquo; settings;

If you want to replace listed addresses click +. Or, you can also add new Google IP address to the list. Type: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    When you complete these steps, press apply and OK.

22. 22 Posted by Rosemarie Pace ... on 30 Aug, 2019 10:16 PM

Thank you!

23. 23 Posted by pop (unverified... on 23 Sep, 2019 04:20 PM

Flushing DNS Cache and Using Google DNS
    DNS cache keeps the IP address of your visited sites. Clearing the cache can help solve DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN; since outdated IP addresses can also result in the problem. To flush the cache, you need to run the Command Prompt as an administrator on Windows, type “ipconfig/flushdns” and press enter.

Using a different operating system? See how to flush DNS on all operating systems.
    https://geeksadvice.com/flush-dns/

You can change your DNS server if clearing the cache does not work. By default, your computer runs on the server that comes from the internet provider or your router. Yet, this server address can cause DNS issues. To avoid this issue, people like to use OpenDNS or Google DNS for better connection speed and reliability. The following steps will help change your DNS server:

Open the Control Panel menu and find “Network and Sharing Center”.
    On the left side of the window, you can see “Change adapter settings”. Clicking on it will open a new window that shows your connection list.
    Right-click on the connection that you use and choose “properties”
    Find and highlight “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” in the list and hit the “properties” button.
    You will see two empty spaces at the bottom of the window. This is where you can change both the preferred and the alternate server addresses of your PC. Google’s address is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4; while OpenDNS is 208.67.222.220 and 208.67.220.222.
    After you enter both preferred and alternate addresses, click OK.
    https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-error/

24. 24 Posted by Marc (unverifie... on 18 Oct, 2019 04:07 PM

My big clue was that when I moved to a different network, everything worked. So my ISP provider was the problem. Changing the default DNS server, as outlined above, fixed the problem. For what it's worth, I'm on Spectrum.

25. 25 Posted by Rosemarie Pace ... on 19 Oct, 2019 01:33 AM

I have Spectrum, too. Still have the problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac