22Jul2019: Happening again: Irritating issue with new password-change requirement

bklynlib

22 Jul, 2019 03:42 PM

On July 17, I reported this issue, and it was resolved. Now it is happening again. I have already changed mt password as required. I am able to access DK on my PC. But when I try to read the site on my Android phone, the text is grayed out and I get a banner asking me to read the story about changing passwords. When I click on that link, said story appears for a fraction of a second, and then the screen is again grayed out and a banner comes up directing me to change my password. I can't read the site on my phone as a consequence.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Jul, 2019 04:01 PM

Sorry that you're encountering this problem. Thanks for taking the time to tell us that it's an issue for you.

Could you please also share the browser and the phone model you are using? It seems to be affecting some Android users but not all.

2. 2 Posted by bklynlib on 22 Jul, 2019 04:24 PM

On my phone, I use Chrome, and the phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.Thanks
    for your help.

3. 3 Posted by bklynlib on 22 Jul, 2019 04:25 PM

PS, I a using the most up to date OS for the phone, as well.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Jul, 2019 10:17 PM

Thank you for the update.

I have some more information for you in turn, and also another diagnostic question.

The notification is actually not tracking to your password change. It's present, or absent, based on a cookie. If you have declined to accept cookies, if you're using private mode, or if you're using a browser where that cookie has not been delivered, you'll continue to see it. So that's the next possibility to check.

As for the notification itself--I take it you can't get that overlay to disappear no matter what you do now? No part of the screen will permit you to touch it "outside" the message so that the notification is dismissed? Plus, does this happen on the home page, story pages, mobile site, full site?

Sorry to ask for further clarification when I'm sure it's already annoying. Thanks much for your help with troubleshooting.

5. 5 Posted by bklynlib on 23 Jul, 2019 02:30 PM

I have never declined to accept cookies. I wouldn't even know how to do
    that, tbh. However, with this email you gave me the idea to try clicking
    outside the overlay and, I am glad to say, that did the trick and I am able
    to read the site; the overlay disappears. Sometimes it's that easy after
    all. Thank you so much for your help.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 Jul, 2019 07:18 PM

Yay! Glad to hear that did the trick for you! Thanks for the update, and you are very welcome.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 23 Jul, 2019 07:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac