Huge glitch on password change

roadlion (unverified)

20 Jul, 2019 11:56 AM

I changed my password yesterday as soon as I saw the message. And now on my phone I keep getting a box pop up saying I have to change my password, before the 24th, which I’ve already done. when I try to click on the password story everything is grayed out and frozen. I literally have to go and clear my history before I can get back into Kos and then when I try to login it says my new password is not valid. So I can’t change my password I can’t look at my password I can’t login.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 20 Jul, 2019 04:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know you are having this problem. Other users have reported it as well.

Would you please let us know what kind of phone you have and what browser you are using?

That way we can either give you a solution that has worked for others, or we will know about a new phone/browser combination to resolve.

We appreciate your patience.

2. 2 Posted by Kcnell99 on 20 Jul, 2019 05:05 PM

Same problem. What's the fix?

3. 3 Posted by Weaving on 20 Jul, 2019 06:12 PM

I keep getting an error message about my current password. There's no forgot password prompt.

I'm on an Android tablet, using Chrome.

4. 4 Posted by therion on 20 Jul, 2019 06:25 PM

I'm having the same problem with a Samsung tablet and Chrome browser. After completing the change password task and hitting the button, the change password dialogue box just freezes. The password is not changed.

5. 5 Posted by therion on 20 Jul, 2019 06:51 PM

I noted a problem above with changing my password. Then it occurred to me that being logged in on another device might be hindering the change. I went to my phone and discovered I had been logged out automatically. My new password let me login, so apparently the change was made after all. I had to log out and back in on the tablet to see that it had ocurred.

6. 6 Posted by Caylee on 20 Jul, 2019 07:30 PM

Too frustrating and loopy. Not even going to bother. I've been here for 15 minutes and I'm just spiraling away to pages ive already seen. Including the link to change my password. Brings me to the front page. Grrr

7. 7 Posted by Victor42 (unver... on 20 Jul, 2019 07:46 PM

Thank you very, very much. You sent me an email asking me to reset my password and so I did. NOW, I CAN'T LOGIN!!! WHAT HAVE YOU PEOPLE DONE? If you don't fix this very rapidly, I am cancelling my recurring donation and will not support Daily Kos in the future as I have done since you got started.
    Well you folks have really got me steamed. I just tried to post a comment about my problem and it didn't post because I was told that my email already exists and please login. WHICH I CAN'T DO!!!!!!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 Jul, 2019 02:13 AM

I am sorry that you have all had such difficulty with the password reset. It's a fairly complicated process for multiple reasons, so we appreciate you raising the problems that you've had with them. Apologies also for the delay in getting back to you.

At this point, the overlay including the notice about the password change has ended, so that particular barrier is now gone. That change may have helped some of you.

There are two other issues that have been frustrating users. The first is that when you use your password reset link in a browser where you have a tab open to Daily Kos, and are logged in then you will ONLY get redirected to the home page. You will not get the password change window. The workarounds for that are to either logout of all your Daily Kos tabs within that browser OR to use your email in a browser where you are NOT logged into Daily Kos.

The second is that it is very common for users to have their passwords saved on their browsers. Changing the password on our site does not automatically trigger an update on your browser where your password may be stored. Thus it can happen that the OLD password is autofilled without giving any opportunity to check and verify that the NEW password is being loaded. So that is a separate step that some browsers make easier to do than others.

We have a detailed resource now that lays out the step-by-step process for various conditions. Please take a moment to check it out at your convenience, and then let us know if you continue to have difficulties. https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/security-and-privacy/step-by-step-...

We are committed to helping folks get their passwords reset to retain access to the site. Thanks for your persistence and patience.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac