?? My previous password is unknown ??

Nso

19 Jul, 2019 06:49 PM

Hello -- I am unable to change my password as per your request, because you (whomever) tells me that the "old" password I entered and thought I had had for yonks, is "incorrect." I cannot change what you don't have, nor do I recall ever having used a different one for Daily Kos.
What to do - what to do? I am stumped.
Yours in admiration --
Judith Mitchell
[email blocked]

1. 1 Posted by tchase on 19 Jul, 2019 09:11 PM

I wanted to change my password as per your request, but find I have no record of my old password. I read your letter, but I don't know what you mean by (Open a private/incognito window), and don't have another browser. So I haven't gotten to a screen with Forgot Password.

2. 2 Posted by skohayes on 19 Jul, 2019 09:52 PM

Theodore- to use an incognito window, since you're here at the Help Desk, scroll to the top of the page where it says "Go to Daily Kos"- RIGHT CLICK on that, and you get a drop down box with different options- "open link in new tab" , "open link in new window" and "open link in incognito window". Use that third option and you go to Daily Kos without being logged in.

3. 3 Posted by Long time UU on 20 Jul, 2019 01:37 AM

I have same problem. I just changed my password on Keeper so no longer have a record of what it was., so can't change it here. I seldom needed it lately so can't remember it. What can I do?
    Long time UU

4. 4 Posted by Theodore Chase ... on 20 Jul, 2019 05:11 PM

I'm on a Mac with a single-click mouse, so can't right click. When I click I just get a Daily Kos main page, no drop-down box (and no Forgot Password button).

Theodore Chase Jr

5. 5 Posted by Theodore Chase ... on 23 Jul, 2019 03:47 PM

As I wrote you earlier, I'm on a Mac with a single-click mouse, so can't right click. When I click I just get a Daily Kos main page, no drop-down box (and no Forgot Password button). Please give me a further suggestion

Theodore Chase Jr

6. 6 Posted by Theodore Chase ... on 23 Jul, 2019 04:47 PM

As I wrote you earlier, I'm on a Mac with a single-click mouse, so can't right click. When I click I just get a Daily Kos main page, no drop-down box (and no Forgot Password button). Please give me a further suggestion

Theodore Chase Jr

7. 7 Posted by loblolly on 23 Jul, 2019 04:50 PM

I have the same issues - I don't know my password, and have a Mac and can't right click. How do we get the "Forgot Password "button??

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Jul, 2019 04:04 PM

Hello everyone.

Sorry that this is a stressful process for some users. We're trying to make it as easy as possible, but even that can entail some bumps.

Yesterday, elfling posted an updated story describing the password change process. Here is the link: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/7/25/1874189/-July-is-Reset-Y... The new section there explains in detail how to change your password if you are already logged in and don't know/can't find your current password.

If any of you have NOT yet changed your password, I encourage you to read this post and follow the directions if they apply to you. I am attaching a screenshot showing what the menu option looks like on Chrome when you try to access an Incognito window. (Thanks, skohayes, for your explanation.) Other standard browsers call it a Private window, but it's still going to be associated with the File option in the menu at the top of your browser.

If you are NOT logged in and you don't know your old password, then perhaps you can make use of the explanation here. Option 1 will not apply to you but either Option 2 or 3 might. https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/security-and-privacy/step-by-step-...

If you HAVE changed your password and you still have difficulty logging in, then my first guess is that your browser is still autofilling the OLD, obsolete password instead of your new one. You will need to find the list of saved passwords on your browser to see what it says is saved for Daily Kos, and then update it if need be. The details of this process differ from browser to browser, so you will need to look up that information if you do not already know it.

All that said--if you STILL have difficulty at any step, please open a new, PRIVATE ticket here at Help Desk. (I request Private because there's a possibility that we'd need to discuss confidential information.) Also, please include in your new ticket:
    1. the operating system and browser you're using.
    2. your username on the site, if you are not logged in when you visit Help Desk
    3. the exact place, as best as you can describe it, where you encounter the block.

Thank you for your perseverance. We will get through this process. Sorry again that it's so tedious.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 Jul, 2019 04:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac