Password change is not working

seab

17 Jul, 2019 07:55 PM

So I went through the recommended process for not remembering my current password, verified my email address is correct, logged off, went to log in, clicked on Forgot password, got the email message and clicked on the link. BUT IT ONLY WENT TO THE FRONT PAGE -- NO PASSWORD ENTRY OPTION WHATSOEVER. I tried it twice. Now what?

If there was something more I was supposed to do after clicking on the link, there was no mention of it in the instructions. Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by seab on 17 Jul, 2019 08:06 PM

While waiting, I went back to the comments on the password article. I wanted to add one myself, but got this error message:
    Request unauthorized. Please try logging in again or report your problem to our helpdesk and someone will be there to assist you. (401

It shows me as logged in, so what's going on? Am I being punished for not being able to go to a password change screen (just kidding)?

...Never mind, I logged out and in again and that message no longer comes up.

But I wish someone would please help me with the password problem!

2. 2 Posted by Jan Nobles Flor... on 17 Jul, 2019 09:14 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Password change is not working

For some unknown reason, I could not log on today-- said I needed to change my PW. So, I tried, over and over and over. Doesn't work. What's up?

3. 3 Posted by David Selsor (u... on 17 Jul, 2019 10:06 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Password change is not working

I am having the same problem as Jan with the notification about changing the PW and then it not working. Now, I am locked out of my account...can the help desk do anything? Thanks!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Moderator1 on 17 Jul, 2019 10:17 PM

Hello! Sorry you’ve found it difficult to change your password quickly.

We have tested the password change process extensively on many different Operating System and browser combinations, but it is still possible we have missed something.

Before we investigate further, however, we ask that you please review the guidelines and tips linked here as a first line of troubleshooting. If you try them and find that NONE of them helps you, then please return--in a private ticket, if appropriate--with more details.

Step-by-step explanation for the password change, with some background: https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/security-and-privacy/step-by-step-...

Note two common stumbling blocks:
    HOW TO FIND THE CHANGE PASSWORD LINK
    Your Edit Profile page is where the Change Password link is located.
    There are multiple ways to get to that page.

1. Click on your own user name (in a comment or diary or in the upper right corner of the home page) OR

2. Via the pulldown menu attached to your username in the upper right corner of the home page (if you’re on the desktop site)

Those will get you to your profile page, where you can then see the Edit Profile link at the bottom of the Welcome Back box or in the menu of options in the header.

You can also go directly to your Edit Profile page by modifying this generic URL with your own username:

https://dailykos.com/user/[your DK username]/edit (omit the [ ] and make sure to type your name exactly including any spaces)

Once you are on the Edit Profile page, scroll down to the Password section where you will see the Change Password link. (You will need to know your current password to use this link.)

BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR NEW PASSWORD WHEREVER YOU HAVE SAVED IT. Changing a password on the site will NOT automatically update your Saved Password on your browser(s). Some browsers make it easier than others to update in case of a change. Take care to update the Saved Password stored on your browser(s), or else it might autofill your login with the old, obsolete password.

In this post from July 16, “July is Reset Your Password Month on Daily Kos,” https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/7/16/1865842/-July-is-Reset-Y..., elfling explains the process and the context at length. We will continue to monitor that post and watch Help Desk for bugs that need to be addressed and to update resources here in case other common issues arise.

Thanks for your understanding as we implement this important safeguard. We appreciate your participation on Daily Kos!

5. 5 Posted by Karen (unverifi... on 17 Jul, 2019 10:22 PM

I updated my email address and when I tried to log in to change my password, I'm told no such address exists.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Moderator1 on 17 Jul, 2019 10:31 PM

Hi seab. It is possible you have done all you need to do. If you clicked on the reset link, that's enough:

If you get a message with a reset link in your inbox, that's great! Please click it and follow the instructions. Doing so will FULFILL our request for a password reset. You will NOT NEED TO RETURN TO THE CHANGE PASSWORD link on the Edit Profile page. Thank you!

Please confirm you are able to log on now and all is well!

Thanks.

7. 7 Posted by Judith Vanderka... on 17 Jul, 2019 10:32 PM

I have read all of your password stuff, more than once. Did you actually read my post? I detailed all the steps I took and when I got to this part, If you get a message with a reset link in your inbox, that's great! Please click it and follow the instructions. I clicked on the link and there were NO instructions – all it did was take me to the Front Page. As I already said.

8. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 11:41 PM.

9. Karen Baker re-opened this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 11:43 PM

10. 8 Posted by Karen Baker (un... on 17 Jul, 2019 11:43 PM

Thanks so much: It seems to be sorted out!

11. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 11:50 PM.

12. Moderator1 re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2019 11:48 AM

13. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2019 06:45 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac