I just got a message reminding me to change my password by July 24.

siab

17 Jul, 2019 03:14 PM

Since I changed it yesterday, I'm assuming this went out to everybody, but I thought I'd check.

1. 1 Posted by bwren on 17 Jul, 2019 03:22 PM

I changed my password yesterday. Today the main page is dimmed out and directing me to the “change your password” story. I tried logging out and in again, but still get the dimmed out page. What’s up?

Thanks
    bwren

2. 2 Posted by purple cones on 17 Jul, 2019 03:24 PM

Same here.

3. 3 Posted by Hope4tmrrw on 17 Jul, 2019 03:37 PM

I got the change password message to. HOW ??? WHERE? I tried logging out and back in. This is NOT user friendly.

4. 4 Posted by purple cones on 17 Jul, 2019 03:38 PM

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I
    have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please
    fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you,
    I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to
    resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam/addme?a=[email blocked]&id=11e9-a8a8-d4cc7f7a-9a16-002128581050

5. 5 Posted by Kokomo for Obam... on 17 Jul, 2019 04:24 PM

Dimmed out page with password story link happens 100% of the time when using the mobile site, both on my phone and laptop. Very annoying.

6. 6 Posted by Besame on 17 Jul, 2019 04:42 PM

Changed my password yesterday and had no trouble using the website even tho I also changed my DK email addy too. To access the help desk I had to activate the new email with a link in an email DK sent me. But, I had to request DK send another activation email as I didn't receive the first one. This was in a notice on the Help Desk main page that blocked access until I activated the new email.

All activated now, I had a similar problem to what other people report (above) on mobile. On laptop today, I had a yellow notice across top of page saying "change password" but I did this yesterday. I could use the website normally on my laptop. On my iPhone, even though I logged in yesterday with the newly created password and used DK on my mobile, today I have a message saying "We are upgrading our password security. Please change your DK password before July 24. See THIS STORY (it's a hyperlink) for more details."

But when I tap the screen on my iPhone, that message vanishes and it seems the site works fine.

7. 7 Posted by txdoubledd on 17 Jul, 2019 04:51 PM

Does anyone actually work at the help desk that responds to issues?

On my mobile the recent, main etc banners appear but then the screen is completely blank and no diaries are listed both in mobile and main site. I haven't updated my password and can reach the help desk.

8. 8 Posted by benjaminblue (u... on 17 Jul, 2019 04:55 PM

Nothing happened when I clicked the "Start" button.

9. 9 Posted by titotitotito on 17 Jul, 2019 05:03 PM

yeah, how does one change the password?

10. 10 Posted by honeydo7 on 17 Jul, 2019 05:11 PM

where do I find instructions for changing password?

11. 11 Posted by skippysmooth on 17 Jul, 2019 05:41 PM

I wonder if anyone will tell us morons how to change the password on our laptops? perhaps it's just me but when I go to dailykos on my puter it remembers my password and logs me in automatically. I don't see anything that says how to change it and I suppose sometime next month our great and powerful overlords will deign to put up a story about how easy it is.

12. 12 Posted by creekobear on 17 Jul, 2019 05:47 PM

I can't remember my password and it won't let me change my password without me knowing the password. Help please!

13. 13 Posted by titotitotito on 17 Jul, 2019 05:48 PM

I just did mine... edit profile it’s under there 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 1:47 PM, creekobear <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv2962884381 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2962884381 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

14. 14 Posted by titotitotito on 17 Jul, 2019 05:49 PM

Edit profile it’s under there

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 1:41 PM, skippysmooth <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv9292093331 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv9292093331 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

15. 15 Posted by titotitotito on 17 Jul, 2019 05:49 PM

Edit profile, it’s under there

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 1:41 PM, skippysmooth <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv9292093331 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv9292093331 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

16. 16 Posted by titotitotito on 17 Jul, 2019 05:58 PM

It’s under Edit profile

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 1:11 PM, honeydo7 <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv0294421334 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv0294421334 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

17. 17 Posted by siab on 17 Jul, 2019 06:14 PM

If you're using Windows, and your computer remembers your password, then when you are changing your password and you are in the Current Password box, right click and the option of letting the computer input your current password should be right there.

Don't know how Apple handles the process.

Also, if you can't find the password, open a Private message in this section and ask for help. People *are* there to give you a hand and walk you through alternative methods for doing it.

18. 18 Posted by Laurie in Maryl... on 17 Jul, 2019 06:35 PM

I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was me -- that I was missing something. But I'm not alone. How exactly do we change our password?

19. 19 Posted by bwren on 17 Jul, 2019 07:29 PM

Update from my first question, way above- just checked in and everything is back to normal. Thanks!

20. 20 Posted by honeydo7 on 17 Jul, 2019 07:59 PM

I went to edit profile, clicked on the change password link & it worked. Thanks.

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Moderator1 on 17 Jul, 2019 11:50 PM

There are a lot of people watching this conversation now, and it is hard to tell how many of you have resolved your password reset problem.

Here are the instructions for how to change your password WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR CURRENT PASSWORD and are ALREADY LOGGED IN:

First, FIND THE CHANGE PASSWORD LINK.
    Your Edit Profile page is where the Change Password link is located.

There are multiple ways to get to that page.

Click on your own user name (in a comment or diary or in the upper right corner of the home page) OR

Via the pulldown menu attached to your username in the upper right corner of the home page (if you’re on the desktop site)

Those will get you to your profile page, where you can then see the Edit Profile link at the bottom of the Welcome Back box or in the menu of options in the middle of the page right above your username.

You can also go directly to your Edit Profile page by modifying this generic URL with your own username:

https://dailykos.com/user/[your DK username]/edit (omit the [ ] and make sure to type your name exactly including any spaces)

Once you are on the Edit Profile page, scroll down to the Password section where you will see the Change Password link. (You will NEED TO KNOW YOUR CURRENT PASSWORD to use this method.)

BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR NEW PASSWORD WHEREVER YOU HAVE SAVED IT. Changing a password on the site will NOT automatically update your Saved Password on your browser(s). Some browsers make it easier than others to update in case of a change. Take care to update the Saved Password stored on your browser(s), or else it might autofill your login with the old, obsolete password.

In this post from July 16, “July is Reset Your Password Month on Daily Kos,” https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/7/16/1865842/-July-is-Reset-Y..., elfling explains the process and the context at length. We will continue to monitor that post and watch Help Desk for bugs that need to be addressed and to update resources here in case other common issues arise.

Everyone please try to follow these instructions and if you are still having trouble, or if you don't know your current password, repost and we will address those questions individually.

Thanks for your understanding as we implement this important safeguard.

22. siab closed this discussion on 22 Jul, 2019 01:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac