Diaries with comments that aren't loading/allowing me to comment

My Philosophy

14 Jul, 2019 07:58 PM

Hi, I have noticed lately that I have been clicking on diaries that will have comments noted at the bottom of the diary but the actual comments aren't loading, including the box where I can add my own comment. In this diary (for just one example) https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/7/14/1871619/-Do-you-remember-what-it-felt-like-on-November-9th-2016?utm_campaign=trending, the end of the diary looks like this for me. This diary should have 124 comments to view, but none are there, nor is any box for me to comment myself. It is the same or many diaries with comments, but not all. For example, the comments on this diary from this morning https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/7/14/1871642/-Kos-Pelosi-singling-out-Squad-doesn-t-make-any-sense?utm_campaign=trending loads just fine... What is going on??

1. 1 Posted by alex (unverifie... on 18 Jul, 2019 11:57 PM

Having the same issue- Win10, latest Chrome. I can tell that the comments won't be there before I get to the bottom of the page because when I use the mouse wheel to scroll down the page "stutters". No stutter on the pages which do have properly displaying comments.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Jul, 2019 03:14 AM

Hello, and thanks for asking here for some help in accessing comments. It is a good idea to attach screenshots when possible, so we appreciate that too.

It's not clear to me yet what the problem might be, and it is possible that you each will have different issues. First we need you to try a couple of troubleshooting steps, however, which will help with diagnosis.

The first is simply to do a hard refresh of the page you'd like to see. It does happen on occasion that site loading does not properly complete, and the intermittent nature of the problem points to some sort of temporary glitch in the loading process. Something like that could arise with a poor connection or with an too-full cache for the site. If you clear your cache for Daily Kos that will probably improve site loading all the way around.

The other thing to try is to use the site in a private or incognito window, to see if you still find comments loading erratically. If the comments do load well for you in that condition, that suggests that there is an extension of some sort that is interfering with our site software. The usual culprits include adblockers but given the presence of ads it's not likely that's the cause for you! But there are others, since we cannot control for conflicts with extensions and add-ons. You'll have to check them out one by one to see which one is causing the problem for you.

Now, whether there are some common characteristics for the stories that load poorly for you is another question. If these two preliminary tricks don't suffice, then we can look for some other causes.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

3. 3 Posted by alex (unverifie... on 19 Jul, 2019 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. In my case, I followed your instructions and have determined that the culprit is indeed an extension, a pop-up blocker with the unfortunate name of Poper Blocker. Disabling it and reloading the page both shows the previously missing comments and stops the scroll-stuttering.

Thank you!

4. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 04 Oct, 2019 12:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac