Technical comment problem

gchaucer2

04 Jul, 2019 04:47 PM

Hi -- and don't respond until after your celebration as this is not serious enough. I've been having problems with the new comment thingy. I click on a comment and in the past the commenter's new post alert disappeared. Now, I click and they remain which is difficult to navigate.

Hopefully, if the answer is log off, I can remember my password. Cheers for a non- psychoperv 4th!

1. 1 Posted by PissedGrunty on 05 Jul, 2019 03:32 PM

Same here. I usually navigate the new comments with the J/K commands. What seems to be happening is that the new comment circle doesn't disappear if the page has to scroll to show the comment in full, so longer comments are much more often effected while short ones usually update as expected.

The work around I've been doing when the comment doesn't update is to tap J then K quickly so the page doesn't effectively scroll in either direction and that usually updates the new-comment indicator.

I tried gchaucer's method of clicking on the next comment and the behavior seems to be the same: short comments update properly with longer ones that require scrolling do not.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Jul, 2019 04:29 PM

Hi there.
    Thanks for asking, but I am going to request some clarification because I suspect you could be talking about two different things.
    One feature related to comments is the "auto-refresh" box that slides in with the names of new commenters (and reply-ers, which is a seriously awkward word) where the names are also hyperlinks to the new comments. I take it that the name is not going away from the auto-refresh box, correct?
    But then there's also the orange dot next to a comment that is supposed to click off when that particular comment is read. Different feature altogether.
    Do I have the descriptions right? If not, please feel free to clarify. We do have the latter issue ticketed but I am not so sure about the former one.
    Also, please supply the operating system and browser you're using so we can replicate the phenomena in case they are browser-specific.
    Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by PissedGrunty on 05 Jul, 2019 06:35 PM

Chrome, Windows 10. The issue only started earlier this week and it had been working fine previously

Sound accurate. I thought the issue was the same because the new comment (popup apparently) wasn't going away.

The dot of course isn't the problem itself, but that the post is still "new", so the Shift-J will keep jumping to the same comments.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 05 Jul, 2019 07:41 PM

Having the same type of problem with the orange circles, except that the comment length doesn't seem to be key - I can go 30 seconds or so with a new comment selected without the orange disappearing, or it can be gone so immediately (along with the one on the next unread comment) that I never see a flash of color. I've had the timing change over the course of four comments in a row, as though it depends on some other factor in the page besides selection. Whatever is happening, the timing is no longer stable.

Firefox, windows 8.1

5. 5 Posted by gchaucer2 on 05 Jul, 2019 07:57 PM

Hi and thanks to the DKStaff and others -- I'm on google chrome. The black box appears with new comments but when I click on a name, it doesn't disappear after I see their comment. Same with the orange dot -- I can scroll to it but the name in the black box remains. I'm basically clicking through then Xing out of the black box.

6. 6 Posted by gchaucer2 on 10 Jul, 2019 06:16 PM

No correction at all. very irritating when checking multiple comments and they don't disappear once checked in the black box. Worst in the APR where I check every a.m.

Seems no response about this issue pending since every comment is 5 days old.

7. 7 Posted by dewtx on 10 Jul, 2019 08:35 PM

I don’t know if this is related or independent. When I am using my iPhone or iPad Mini and try to “hover” over the “Star ## Recommended” at the bottom of one of my comments to see who has recommended that comment by touching or touching and holding the “Recommended” with my finger, nothing happens. How can I see who has Recommended my comment on my iPhone or iPad Mini? “Hovering” with my mouse on my iMac works just fine. It’s not a major malfunction, but it is frustrating nevertheless.

8. 8 Posted by skohayes on 11 Jul, 2019 11:47 AM

I'm going to add in to this discussion, since it's about commenting. I am on a Windows 7 Google Chrome machine. These problems come and go (sometimes they work), but here are the issues:
    1) Comment jumping- after a diary gets a whole pile of comments added in, I will hit reply for one comment, and when I hit submit, it seems all the new comments are added at once, the screen scrolls way up the thread, and it takes a few minutes to find where you were in the thread.
    2) When you have the box on the right side of the screen showing replies to your comments, and click on one of the replies, you end up somewhere up above where your comment is(the screen jumps around from comment to comment), and have to scroll down to find it.
    3) The feature that allows you to click on the name a commenter replied to on their comment, and it scrolls back to the original comment.
    Sometimes it's working, sometimes it isn't.
    Thanks

9. 9 Posted by DRo on 12 Jul, 2019 01:05 PM

I concur. And the jumping and non-removal of link in comment notice block is getting worse. My very worst is when clicking on a reply to a message closes all replies and jumps to the end of the post causing me to have to reload the whole thing losing any reply messages I had. Very annoying in bust posts with lots of comments.

10. 10 Posted by siab on 14 Jul, 2019 12:31 PM

This is getting worse rather than better. I J'd through yesterday's Egberto Willis diary something like eight times and a third of the comments are STILL showing up as New. Going to have to go back to the old comment version and see whether that makes any difference, as I certainly can't count on bringing up new comments when I re-open a diary.

11. 11 Posted by tarhealian on 14 Jul, 2019 02:38 PM

While using my smart phone android the spell check does not appear meaning no spell check or auto fill.

12. 12 Posted by skohayes on 17 Jul, 2019 01:09 PM

Bump

13. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 04 Oct, 2019 12:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac