'Email me when someone responds'

Elwood Dowd

19 Jun, 2019 02:06 AM

It's probably pilot error--I must be accidentally checking the box when I post some comments. But I've had a bunch of unexpected (and not useful) emails telling me there's a new comment lately, and I never used to get them.

Plus the box is 'sticky'. If I somehow click it on one comment it stays on for future comments until I uncheck it.

There's a personal profile setting on whether one wants email notification. Isn't that enough?

1. 1 Posted by Chartreuxe on 19 Jun, 2019 03:31 PM

In the Profile that option is for notification of private messages. (DMs)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Jun, 2019 06:20 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.
    Yes, Chartreuxe is correct, the profile option is to alert a user to individual Kosmails. There is no other global setting for the comment reply notification, other than its stickiness which is part of its intended design. That should stick in either case, however, so if you UNcheck the box then it should remain unchecked, and you shouldn't get any notifications.
    We have seen this behavior intermittently and have not pinned it down thoroughly, so we could use more input on how it's showing up for you. Would you be so kind as to tell us what OS and browser you're using, and whether you are using old style comments or new? And, fussy though it may seem, whether you are changing devices and notice a lack of carry-over from one to another.
    Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

3. 3 Posted by Elwood Dowd on 19 Jun, 2019 07:34 PM

Hi,

I’m using Chrome on Windows 10 on a desktop. I have not explicitly changed to the new style or changed back (if the new style was ‘pushed out’—I don’t recall.).

I’m left-handed; I wonder if that might be related (since the checkbox is on the left)?

The behavior is new—just a couple of weeks old.

I’m happy to help debug—let me know if you would like me to check any specific settings or try anything.

Thanks,

Elwood / Michael

4. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 26 Jul, 2019 12:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac