Suddenly the typeface in diaries is huge

chicago minx

18 Jun, 2019 06:50 PM

Not on the front page, just in diaries. Did I change it inadvertently? Thanks.

Showing page 2 out of 3. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by sydneyluv on 19 Jun, 2019 01:48 AM

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I
    have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please
    fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you,
    I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to
    resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wam/addme?a=[email blocked]&id=11e9-9234-45e5b1a8-835b-0021287671b2

2. 32 Posted by sydneyluv on 19 Jun, 2019 01:52 AM

I’m using the old version also. I wonder if that’s important information.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Jun 18, 2019 9:47 PM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Suddenly the typeface in diaries is huge [Problems #178107]

pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

This giant text problem showed up for me this morning, both in diaries and comments. About 10 or 11am, since I published a diary at about 9 and the formatting was fine for a while.

I'm on an iPad Pro 10.5”, current operating system version 12.3.1, running safari.

I'm using the old version of your comments format since the new version is very difficult to read on an iPad (distinguishing between comments mainly, also lots of clutter. A line between comments at the very least would improve it, especially when I have to scroll through the whole list each time when I'm fielding comments in my diaries. The j/k function unusable on iPads).

Note: the text size in the right column (rec list etc) is normal. As are the help desk pages and the rest of the DK4 pages.

On Tue, Jun 18 at 06:44 PM PDT, sydneyluv wrote:

iPad Air2, giant font, no change in settings which is on normal size. I’ve rebooted, no improvement. All others sites, email, etc. normal sized font. It’s just here and I agree that it’s annoying to have the users blamed. There are a lot of us all from today!

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Suddenly the typeface in diaries is huge.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://helpdesk.dailykos.com, visit this page

3. 33 Posted by nannyboz on 19 Jun, 2019 02:16 AM

This is where I am. I joined in 2008. Never had this problem. I purchased five lifetime memberships back when Kos was offering those. Gave them as gifts. Cost me $500 plus my own membership. If you want to tell me that I have to tweak something that’s your right. It’s also mine to say no. I will be back when you fix YOUR problem. And it is YOUR problem. Which never happened before today. I do not appreciate your telling long standing members how to work around your problem.

4. 34 Posted by susans on 19 Jun, 2019 05:05 AM

Same problem. iPad with up to date iOS.

5. 35 Posted by nannyboz on 19 Jun, 2019 11:33 AM

Any progress on returning to normal font size? Thank you.

6. 36 Posted by nannyboz on 19 Jun, 2019 11:55 AM

I did what you suggested on my iPad settings and the font is still big.

7. 37 Posted by Sylv on 19 Jun, 2019 12:27 PM

I love this problem. No eye strain. It’s like reading a book on my iPad mini 2. Safari, iOS 12.3.1

On my iPhone 6s the font size is normal, not large. Also on Safari and iOS 12.3.1

I thought I must have had large font turned on on my iPad but I just checked and I don’t. I’m enjoying the large text so once you’ve fixed this issue I will most likely turn it on.

8. 38 Posted by Marihilda (unve... on 19 Jun, 2019 01:07 PM

Giant type using iPad Air and iPad Pro 12.3.1. Also help desk tells me to log in when I AM logged in. There is more wrong with the formatting than just the giant type but I’m not going to waste time mentioning because I don’t even know this comment will post.

9. 39 Posted by Kokomo for Obam... on 19 Jun, 2019 01:09 PM

Macbook pro, macos 10.12.6 - I also see the double-space text, but only when using safari; with firefox text is single spaced. Happens on front page and stories. Started sometime Tuesday afternoon 6/18. Happens only on Kos.

10. 40 Posted by thinktec on 19 Jun, 2019 01:13 PM

The oversized font is obnoxious, unnecessary and makes me visit other sites. Fix this bullshit soon

11. 41 Posted by Mike Adams (unv... on 19 Jun, 2019 01:39 PM

Running iOS 12.3.1 on a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, 2nd generation. I tried reducing font size in settings; nothing has changed with other websites (bbc, mother jones, npr), that is, they appear normal. It has made no difference with Kos: the font is huuuuge.

12. 42 Posted by chicago minx on 19 Jun, 2019 02:15 PM

The site is basically unusable for me until the problem is fixed.

13. Support Staff 43 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Jun, 2019 05:43 PM

Hi again, everyone.
    We are regrouping. Eventually, the dynamic type option will be implemented for iOS users, but in the meantime we're going to roll back to the earlier code.
    So for those who enjoyed it, a little patience, it will return--with the issues that made it unworkable for some users fully resolved.
    Sorry for the awkwardness yesterday and today. Thanks for your understanding.

14. 44 Posted by bakeneko on 19 Jun, 2019 06:51 PM

Do you have an ETA on the rollback? Because the fonts are still ginormous on all my iOS devices (and I don’t use the mobile version of the site), and it’s making the front page and diaries unreadable for me.
    I have no Accessibility accommodations enabled, so adjusting font size in Settings is not an option.
    EDIT: Actually, enabling and adjusting the Dynamic Fonts slider did make it better, but it’s still way too big.

15. Support Staff 45 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Jun, 2019 08:49 PM

The rollback will be evident within the hour, I expect.
    Thanks for the additional input, and thanks again for your patience, everyone.

16. 46 Posted by chicago minx on 19 Jun, 2019 09:25 PM

Thank you! All back to normal on my iPad.

17. 47 Posted by chicago minx on 19 Jun, 2019 09:27 PM

I take that back...the front page is fine, and some of the diaries are fine. Some, though, still have the huge type. I’ll keep trying.

18. Support Staff 48 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Jun, 2019 09:29 PM

Thanks for the update. I suspect that retention is due to caching, so it should resolve soon.

19. 49 Posted by bakeneko on 19 Jun, 2019 09:31 PM

Yep, a page refresh put it back to normal for me. Thank you!

20. 50 Posted by chicago minx on 19 Jun, 2019 09:36 PM

Thank you, it’s all good now! I revisited diaries that had had large type and they’re normal.

21. 51 Posted by nannyboz on 19 Jun, 2019 11:35 PM

Thank you!!! What a relief! Thank you.

22. 52 Posted by OceanDiver on 20 Jun, 2019 06:19 AM

All good now, normal size text. Thanks very much for fixing it!

23. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 25 Jul, 2019 06:29 PM.

24. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 26 Aug, 2019 05:13 PM

25. Support Staff 53 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Aug, 2019 05:13 PM

Hi there!
    Anyone who has a free moment to peek at the dailykosbeta site will see that we have new code to implement the Dynamic Type feature in place there. We're interested in getting everyone's feedback on the current version.
    It's applied on every section of the site--but not all sections are equally affected, if that makes sense. Plus, it would be helpful for you to let us know whether your own ability to adjust preferences on your own devices works as you would like.
    We're testing it ourselves too, but since there's such interesting variation on how users do interact with the site, it's good for us to have a wide range of use cases.
    Many thanks!

26. Support Staff 54 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Aug, 2019 06:26 PM

Oops, sorry. Big demand for the beta site today to review something time-sensitive. I will return to let you know when the Dynamic Type code is back on beta for you. Thanks again.

27. Support Staff 55 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Aug, 2019 04:12 PM

OK! We are back in business on beta again.

Please note that we're not only interested in hearing from you about the site's appearance for new stories, but also for old ones. The deploy will affect historical content as well. Whatever was problematic the first time around for you will be good for you to check out now.

Thanks!

28. 56 Posted by WYgalinCali on 30 Aug, 2019 02:33 AM

The font was, at you probably anticipated, quite big when it went into effect. I went to my settings and adjusted my font down as low as I can go. The diary headlines seem much larger than the content and comments.

Unfortunately, adjusting my font size down to “manage” the size here, has made the font in other apps too small to read easily.

29. 57 Posted by nannyboz on 30 Aug, 2019 01:42 PM

The font in diaries is big again.

30. 58 Posted by thinktec on 30 Aug, 2019 04:26 PM

Go ahead Daily Kos, keep tinkering around, trying to fix something that’s not broken. I’ve stopped reading your site until you stop this nonsense!

31. Support Staff 59 Posted by elfling on 30 Aug, 2019 10:29 PM

Sometimes I've noticed that the General>Accessibility>Vision>Larger Text causes text to change size even when the main switch is off, if the slider is to the right. It may help to set that slider to a smaller size AND ALSO turn the main switch off. To me that seems a little broken, but it's apple/iOS being broken not us.

We are intentionally enabling this iOS feature to give users more control over the fonts, especially users who have visual acuity issues. I think it's an important feature.

32. 60 Posted by chicago minx on 31 Aug, 2019 01:41 AM

Diary type is huge for me, not on the main page. I’m on an iPad.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac