Suddenly the typeface in diaries is huge

chicago minx

18 Jun, 2019 06:50 PM

Not on the front page, just in diaries. Did I change it inadvertently? Thanks.

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by Sylv on 31 Aug, 2019 01:25 PM

Elfling, I have large text off but moved the slider up one notch after the last attempt at dynamic text here and it does change the type on sites that allow that. I’ve now turned mine to neutral and while it decreased the font size somewhat it is still much larger than it was previously. Also with the slider at neutral other sites are smaller than I prefer so the current situation has me looking at much too large text here to keep the other sites more readable or toggling back and forth every time I read here.

P.S. I like bigger text more than most here, but this was a big change, impossible for me to use at the one notch up setting. iPad mini 2 iOS 12.4.1, Safari
    Edited to add: moving the slider one notch below neutral now makes the text perfect for me here, if that gives you an idea of the scope of the change — remember I like a one notch up setting at other sites

2. 62 Posted by Sylv on 01 Sep, 2019 01:05 PM

I’ve discovered something that may be useful. I usually use my iPad mini in landscape mode and the change did make the diary text too large, even though I tend toward larger fonts than many. Today I picked up my mini in portrait mode and the font was small. I flipped it around to landscape and it was large. iPad Mini 2, iOS 12.4.1, Safari

3. 63 Posted by sydneyluv on 01 Sep, 2019 11:40 PM

SylV. That’s true for me also. The font is much smaller in portrait mode on my IPad 2.

4. 64 Posted by Yoshimom (unver... on 02 Sep, 2019 02:52 PM

My observations for what they are worth.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5, iPad Air 9.7, iPhone 7+

1. On the iPads it doesn’t seem to make any difference whether the ‘larger type accessibility’ main switch is on or off. It makes a difference elsewhere (URLs for instance) but not within the body of a Kos diary. Moving the slider does change the size of the diary type.

2. If set at mid point or lower the type in the diaries is, IMO, acceptable except for the diary headline which is annoyingly large with respect to the rest of the type. Type size does change with orientation of the device and that seems to be an artifact of Kos because at least on some other sites, it doesn’t do that. At RawStory for instance, some type gets larger on portrait mode as the site goes from three columns in landscape to two in portrait. On HuffPost the type stays the same size in either mode (I didn’t do exhaustive research here but at least with the slider set to giant and the switch to on, this is what happened).

3. My thoughts are you should make the diary headlines for the tablets, smaller in relation to the body copy.

4. The iPhone, the accessibility option does not seem to work at all except to enlarge the URL. Portrait type is smaller than landscape. On the iPhone the headline type is too small and it is not bold. What’s up with that? It should be larger or at least San serif and bolder in respect to the body copy.

Those are my observations (as a graphics designer, by the way). Hope something is useful.

Marihilda

Sent from my iPad

5. 65 Posted by Yoshimom (unver... on 02 Sep, 2019 03:02 PM

PS, The type is the same size on the 10.5 screen as the 9.7. I don’t mean proportionately, I mean absolutely. If that holds for the mini iPad, and I don’t know if it does, that would make the diary type uncomfortably large, IMO.

Marihilda

Sent from my iPad

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac