Format changed on my diary

ZenTrainer

18 Jun, 2019 06:02 AM

I published a diary 6.17.19 around 6pm. All went well. lay out was as I had written. Around 10:30pm I had to go back to work again. I checked back in on my diary at 12:50 and noticed the format had changed, there were no more paragraphs, just one big jumble of words.
I went in to edit the diary and it said it had last been saved 15 minutes before which is odd since I nor anyone else had been at my house 15 minutes before.
In draft form the layout is fine, I republished and it was all one big jumble of words with no paragraphs again. I went back in to edit and put extra spaces in between my paragraphs but when I republished they were gone.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/6/17/1865023/-Firefighters-fi...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jun, 2019 01:40 PM

Hello, and sorry to hear that your story is not formatted as you expected. (Good post; important points.)

I might be able to find out something about the story save timing, but my guess is that the display was off, not that there was someone else editing/resaving it.

As for the lack of spaces, this is my strong hunch. If you copied and pasted the story TO the Daily Kos story editor FROM the other source, it is almost certain that the original place (the other blog) has some formatting that was carried over along with the actual words. People run into this problem often. The remedy is usually to copy the source material and paste it into a text editor first -- that is, software that will show text only, unformatted -- before copying it from there into the DK story editor. Doing this additional step addresses the issue at least 9 out of 10 times from what I understand. It's odd, for sure, but not uncommon.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2019 01:40 PM.

3. ZenTrainer re-opened this discussion on 18 Jun, 2019 04:52 PM

4. 2 Posted by ZenTrainer on 18 Jun, 2019 04:52 PM

I wrote the piece in DK draft first. AND, for the first few hours of the diary, after being published on DK, the formatting was right, it included paragraphs. It was only after being gone for a while and then refreshing that the format got jumbly.

Thanks for your kind words of support about the piece.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jun, 2019 05:32 PM

Oh ho, and hmmm.
    Thanks for explaining. That is definitely not what we'd want to see.
    I will see what I can do to investigate the possible source of a formatting change like this.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac