rec list & shared list have disappeared

riskremlover

13 Jun, 2019 11:37 PM

Anyone else having this problem? The rec list & shared list to the right of the articles have vanished. It feels like half the pages in a book are not there. Frustrating! Any suggestions as to how to coax them back?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Jun, 2019 12:55 AM

Did you collapse them somehow? There's a little arrow to the right of the header to expand or collapse each list.
    If the headers are there but content isn't that's my first guess. Otherwise, I suggest a hard refresh of the page.

2. 2 Posted by siab on 14 Jun, 2019 02:39 AM

Just in case - are you running your browser window full screen, or could you have made it narrower recently?

Sometimes that can bring up a page where the story is full width in the browser. The fix is to simply widen the browser window again.

3. 3 Posted by riskremlover on 14 Jun, 2019 03:05 AM

There’s absolutely nothing where the rec list should be; the space is completely blank.

I did refresh a few times, then shut the computer off for several minutes, but it had no effect.

Thanks for your suggestions. If you can think of anything more, please let me know.

4. 4 Posted by riskremlover on 14 Jun, 2019 03:11 AM

Hi. Thanks for your suggestion; your thoughts are much appreciated. The page is full screen, but just to check I zoomed out a bit to see if I might have enlarged print & inadvertently cut out the rec list, but that’s not it. Still missing.

5. 5 Posted by riskremlover on 14 Jun, 2019 03:17 AM

Wait! I just found the arrow under the “Community” heading with the rec list & was able to get it back! No thumbnail photos, & it didn’t work for the most shared list, but I’ll keep working on it.

Thanks for making me go look for arrows!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Jun, 2019 08:59 PM

OK, well, progress is good. We'll be here for updates on Monday if you don't get it squared away over the weekend.

I don't know if you're on the site often, or if you can pinpoint when the loading issues first appeared for you. But the other basic troubleshooting steps are 1) to clear your cache for the site and 2) try opening the site in a private or incognito window. Doing the former will eliminate the problems caused by too much site data on your browser. Doing the latter will (in almost all cases) disable any extensions you have that might interfere with the loading of the site information. If that mode permits a good site load, then you have your clue that there's an extension in conflict, and you can embark on identifying which one(s).

7. 7 Posted by pucklady on 15 Jun, 2019 12:45 PM

I have that happen a lot, too. At the same time, where the Civiqs bar is, I just get a grey spot with a broken symbol. Also, all the comments disappear.

Closing Chrome and restarting it fixes it, but that is annoying when I have a lot of tabs open because then I have to go back in and find all the articles I wanted to read that I had to close.

This problem occurs when I have another instance of Chrome and watch a video, such as Youtube. I go back to Kos, refresh the page or click on a diary link and it's hosed.

8. 8 Posted by riskremlover on 15 Jun, 2019 02:47 PM

That sounds pretty frustrating. I guess “glitches happen”. I will live in the hope that one day my glitch will self-resolve & my rec list will magically reappear. :-)

I use Firefox instead of chrome, &, when I have to restart, I can bring back all my multi pages & tabs by going first thing to "history" & clicking “restore previous session”. Does that option, or something similar, exist on Chrome? It’s an absolute lifesaver to be able to do that!

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jun, 2019 04:02 PM

Hi again.

pucklady, I wonder if you have some sort of extension that is interfering with the proper site load. Do you have these problems if you view the site on an incognito window? (And yes, there should be a variety of ways to reopen the last window you were viewing before Chrome crashed; searching online should get you to some helpful tutorials.)

riskremlover, I don't know if you've had a chance to try to view the site on a private window yourself. It's not obvious to me what sort of extension would interfere with the sidebar section loading, but it's still something to rule out.

Thanks to both of you for your support of the mission of the site.

10. 10 Posted by riskremlover on 18 Jun, 2019 07:00 PM

Hi. I did try a private window with the same results. My computer is probably due for a heavy duty “spring cleaning”; it’s been a bit balky lately in general.

Thanks for your input!

11. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2019 12:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac