Can't sign in, check profile, comments or messages, see reply balloon, write a diary or do anything from the Front Page

Puddytat

10 Jun, 2019 07:09 PM

This is terrible! I've already submitted a request on this under Front Page is Wonky. How can you expect a user to operate????

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2019 08:11 PM

Hi Puddytat. Sorry for the delay in replying. You have some information in the reply just made to your older ticket.
    The key step, for now, is this:
    Once you set your own home page for the site back to the OLD style comments, by going to https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false
    do you still have these login problems?
    If so, then the issue you have is not related to the new comments.
    I know, under the circumstances, it's easy to look to this change as the culprit--but we need to confirm whether that really is the case.
    If the site DOES work for you with the old comments, then that points to one path to pursue. If it does NOT work for you with old comments, then that suggests something else is going on.
    So, that's the first diagnostic. I'll watch for an update.

2. 2 Posted by Puddytat on 10 Jun, 2019 08:18 PM

I clicked on the link you provided and all is now better on the front page for me. I do note that I'm now back on the old comments, which is fine with me.

Something with the new comments affected IE11. I wrote a Top Comments diary on this subject on Friday and it seems that Chrome, Safari, and Firefox are unaffected (from the commenters).

It seems that something that was done for the new comments has profoundly affected the front page.

If there's an additional information I can provide, please let me know. I'd like to get to the bottom of this (particularly for other users who don't now have the ability to sign in or check comments, replies or messages and don't know the workaround.

3. 3 Posted by Puddytat on 10 Jun, 2019 08:21 PM

One other request, please, is that people writing front page diaries please put their Civiqs charts on the second page. There's one there now and it won't load here - which means that the front page "hangs" while loading. If the chart is on the second page, it wouldn't affect a thing unless the diary itself was clicked on.

I did submit a trouble ticket on this in the past and know it's the Civiqs charts.

4. 4 Posted by Puddytat on 10 Jun, 2019 08:23 PM

Additional information - I did provide the information linking the front page problem to the new comments update in my previous ticket. I noted that when you guys rolled back the new comments and went back to the old comments at the end of May.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2019 08:46 PM

Yes, that is so, but perhaps I read the older ticket too quickly. I had thought your first update post-reimplementation of the new comments said things were OK.
    Quite right, and good to know that you have it functioning for now.
    What do you mean by "second page"? Do you mean story page instead of home page? I don't recognize that term.

6. 6 Posted by Puddytat on 10 Jun, 2019 09:40 PM

My update that said things were fine were based on the return of the site to old comments, NOT after they were re-initialized. I updated shortly after the new comments came back to reflect the return of the wonky front page.

There's something definitely strange when changing the way comments display changes the header on the front page of the site. Perhaps the coding needs to be rechecked for something that creates the absence of those links on the header. Only the site name, link to the mailing list and link to help appear. The others are gone.

As to the Civiqs charts, putting them below a page break line keeps them off the front page itself when a post is on the front page of the site. Accessing that would require clicking the "read more" line at the end of what is on the front page proper.

7. 7 Posted by Puddytat on 12 Jun, 2019 03:10 AM

Hopefully, you're working to resolve this issue. Just rolling back the comments to the old version helps for now, but what happens when you update comments in the future and haven't fixed whatever is doing this to the header on the main page/front page?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac