Orange Box Around Comments That Are Not By Me

paz3

07 Jun, 2019 10:41 PM

I have been seeing that orange 'box' around comments that are not by me. This happened yesterday (June 6) and today (June 7). I also got a strange message yesterday when I tried to copy some text from a comment (not mine) that said, 'Are you sure you want to do this?'

Desktop, Windows 7, Firefox browser.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jun, 2019 12:27 AM

Hello, and thanks for your question.

When there is an orange outline around a comment, that means it has been selected. Take a look at the URL window when you have an orange outline showing, and you'll see that the URL ends with the comment number.

I'm not sure how you're moving through the comment thread, but if you are using the key commands to go up and down, then that process makes it even more likely that you'll see that orange outline around every comment. Scrolling through comments is a process that makes it less obvious when you've actually settled on a comment.

I am pretty sure that the error message you're getting then from an effort to copy text is related to the key commands we've now enabled. This means that instead of needing to use a mouse or a trackpad to click to get a comment to be started, previewed, and submitted, logged-in users can do it all with particular keys in combination.

It's possible that there is a bug. But I would also check to see that you don't have a comment in progress somewhere else in the thread. You see, another new feature is the autosave for a comment--meaning it won't be lost if you get distracted. However, it seems also to be the case then that when a comment box is already open, that clicking on the C key is interpreted as Cancel for that open one rather than Copy for the text you're trying to capture.

If that turns out not to be the case for you, then please do let us know, and we'll make sure to get it ticketed and to let you know when the fix is completed.

Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 25 Jun, 2019 05:06 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac