Comment Recs and Image Library

Chrislove

23 May, 2019 04:03 PM

I've noticed a couple of issues since the update. I understand that the ability to see who recommended a comment has been disabled for mobile users, but I'm having issues when I use the full site on my laptop as well. I can see who recommended a comment, but if it's more than 9 people, I am not able to scroll to see everybody who recommended it. If I try to scroll, the box where the recommenders are listed just disappears. I'm using Mac and have tried it on two browsers (Chrome and Safari) with the same result.

Also, this is a new issue for me that just popped up yesterday: If I use Chrome and try to insert an image from the image library into a comment, I am not able to scroll in the image library, and I'm not able to see or click the "Choose" button to insert the image. It just shows the top part of the image library without the ability to scroll. It still works just fine if I try to insert images into a diary, but not when I try to insert images into a comment. I have the same issue in Safari (it won't let me scroll), but I am at least able to see/click the "Choose" button, so I can at least insert images.

1. 1 Posted by Chrislove on 23 May, 2019 04:13 PM

Update: So I just realized that I CAN make the comment recs box scroll, but I have to actually click and drag downward. I can also make the image library scroll in the same way. So I CAN scroll after all...but it won't respond to my mouse trackpad.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 04:49 PM

Thank you for raising this issue. Good point--we do need to do some fancy footwork to have the various scrolls all work. I would guess we can get back to it next week since there is a workaround available in the meantime.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 23 May, 2019 04:49 PM.

4. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 23 May, 2019 04:50 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 04:50 PM

Oops, I forgot to address the comment rec list. Yes, that's something we'll investigate too, above and beyond the touchscreen/hover issue. It might be connected to the other scroll issue though I am not positive.

6. 4 Posted by Chrislove on 23 May, 2019 04:54 PM

Great, thanks! I can live with it until it's fixed since there's a workaround :)

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 08:11 PM

Thanks for understanding.
    I'm going to close this ticket for now. Feel free to reopen it if need be, and I'm keeping track of it for our purposes too.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 23 May, 2019 08:11 PM.

9. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 30 May, 2019 08:10 PM

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 May, 2019 08:10 PM

Hello again. I'm getting back to you about the Image Library scroll issue.
    I'm trying to compare Image Library behavior between the old-style comments and the new, to make sure that it's actually the new code that has the problem.
    But at the moment I'm not replicating the problem. What I'm trying to do, on OSX/Chrome, is use the trackpad to scroll within the Image Library to find an image to put in a comment. But I'm not seeing any difference in behavior between the two; the trackpad won't work in either one. :)
    It could be that it's a bug underlying both systems, but it's also possible that the browser really doesn't want to permit layered scrolling like that. And, it's also possible that I have misinterpreted/misapplied your description of what was not working as you expected.
    When you have a chance, please let me know what you see in the old-style comments compared with the new, and whether I'm missing something. Thanks!

11. 7 Posted by Chrislove on 31 May, 2019 03:51 PM

My comments went back to old-style, but based on what I remember, it looked exactly the same. I've attached a screenshot of what I see now in the image library. This is what I would see in the new system, too, except I would not be able to use my mouse trackpad to scroll--it would seem as though the top part of the image library was just frozen there. Instead, to get it to scroll at all, I would have to click and highlight all of the images, which would push it downward. As of right now, I am able to use two fingers on my trackpad to scroll easily. Hopefully that makes sense!

12. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 May, 2019 05:16 PM

Yes, that's helpful. I wonder what other differences there are between our setups, if any.

I can't get the trackpad method of scrolling to work on the old style comments either, but now that you have clarified what you mean, and confirmed that you can now scroll with old comments, then I can proceed. Thank you.

13. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 31 May, 2019 05:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac