Front Page Display Wonky on IE11

Puddytat

22 May, 2019 06:15 PM

Whether it's related to the earlier problem I reported on Civiqs charts not displaying in diaries on the Front Page, or not, I don't know, but the front page display on IE changed with my log-in today. No longer do I see my log in information (puddytat with the drop down menu to access more), balloon for comment replies, link to messages, or option to Blog It on the front page header. Instead the links to Join the Mailing List and Help have moved to the location where the previous links used to reside. The rest of the header is empty.

I note that there's a diary on the front page with one of those cursed Civiqs charts that won't load. And the front page loaded in timely fashion today instead of "hanging" while loading. I'm not sure if this is related or this is a new issue.

Anyway, I opened the same front page on Chrome (which I literally hate to use) and all is exactly where it should be. I also opened diaries from the Front Page and everything is available there as it should be. It's only the Front Page that has the issue on Internet Explorer 11.

I know I'm not the best "explainer" of technical things. I have a black thumb when it comes to technology, so please feel free to call me for additional information on my terrible description of the problem. I don't want to give my phone number in a public discussion, but if you don't have access to it from my user information, please send me a KosMail message and I'll happily provide it

Thanks in advance for being here and working to make the site work better. .

1. 1 Posted by Puddytat on 22 May, 2019 06:43 PM

Looks like there's a lot of problems so I'm just bumping this up.

2. 2 Posted by Puddytat on 22 May, 2019 06:48 PM

OK, I've ruled out that it's related to the diary Civiqs chart because it does the same thing on the previous front page when I load that. It's clearly an issue that developed overnight.

In addition, even on the single diary pages, I note that my chat icon (that little cat picture) now resides on the top line with the hashtags while the rest of the header items are in their proper location.

Just plain weird.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 06:50 PM

Thanks, Puddytat, for supplying so much detail. It really helps a lot.
    I'll go look and see what I can see.

4. 4 Posted by Puddytat on 22 May, 2019 10:03 PM

Further info. On the pages where I note that the chat icon resides on the top line with hashtags, I do note now that this happens when I use the mouse to scroll down to read the diary. Somehow, it's related to scrolling.

In addition, it's taking a huge amount of time to load any pages now. Adding to the frustration.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 10:09 PM

OK. Any and all additional information does help. Thanks, and please feel free to continue supplying it. Sorry that we don't have an immediate fix, that's for sure.

6. 6 Posted by Puddytat on 22 May, 2019 10:49 PM

From the looks of the Help Desk page, looks like you guys are having a rough day. Thanks for all your hard work.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 03:15 PM

Appreciate your awareness and your kind words. We're doing ok.

Many of the items people are mentioning now were indeed on tickets already, for addressing post-launch. It's good to get confirmation that people do notice them. ;) But this set of things you're seeing on IE is a bit different, for sure. Should have a chance to dig deeper today.

8. 8 Posted by Puddytat on 23 May, 2019 06:47 PM

Apparently Zen Trainer is having the same issues according to his Help Ticket. I gave him a sign in workaround. I didn't have sign in trouble because I leave myself signed in.

9. 9 Posted by Puddytat on 24 May, 2019 06:42 AM

OK, whatever you did later in the day is now affecting pages other than the Front Page. Now the screen on diaries selected looks as blank as the header for the Front Page. It takes a long time now for the Blog it, Replies, messages, and profile to show up.

That affects anyone using the workaround I gave ZenTrainer in his/her Help Ticket harder to use.

So, whatever you did, the problem is migrating and getting worse.

I wish I had better news.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 May, 2019 04:03 PM

All right. Thanks for the update. It is indeed getting a little hectic.

11. 11 Posted by Puddytat on 24 May, 2019 05:58 PM

Did you take down the changes you made? Seems that the Header is back to normal, but loading it hangs a while before fully loading.

12. 12 Posted by OceanDiver on 24 May, 2019 06:44 PM

Seeing the change back to the earlier comments format however temporary I notice right away how much cleaner it feels. Two things much easier on my eyes:

Not so busy with meta information

Lines between comments

I know you folks have put a ton of energy into revamping comments, and for good reason. That said, I'm wondering if it might be possible to add the line between comments back? Even tho it sounds like yet one more thing on the page, it would help to clarify when a new comment starts.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 May, 2019 08:26 PM

Hi again to you both.

Yes, for now we have the comments loading by default in their old guise. I will definitely make note of all the suggestions you are making and will pass them along to those who make the decisions.

(As an aside for now: In many views, we DO want to have the horizontal lines between comments. I'll have to review the exact details of where the breakpoints are and get back to you.)

Thank you for your patience and for your support of the site!

14. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 May, 2019 08:26 PM.

15. Puddytat re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2019 01:04 AM

16. 14 Posted by Puddytat on 28 May, 2019 01:04 AM

It looks like you rolled back the changes. Front page is ship shape again. Hope you can manage the changes you want in the future without the headaches and heartaches.

Thanks again for your help.

17. 15 Posted by Puddytat on 05 Jun, 2019 01:31 AM

OK, I'm reactivating this bug report. Everything looked initially fine, but once I scrolled around and checked my messages, the original problem recurred - and it recurred when I opened a new page. I haven't been on since 6/2 so I'm not sure when the problem returned.

Yikes, this is bad.

18. 16 Posted by Puddytat on 06 Jun, 2019 05:06 AM

As of tonight, things look normal on the front page. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

19. 17 Posted by Puddytat on 07 Jun, 2019 06:15 AM

Well, tonight it's back. Needs fixing.

20. 18 Posted by Puddytat on 07 Jun, 2019 06:45 PM

PLEASE! This is bad and now it takes forever to load anything.

I had to select a diary so I could write for Top Comments to even get to the "blog it" option that SHOULD be on the front page.

It's the same as when I first described it.

Help!!!!!!!

21. 19 Posted by Puddytat on 08 Jun, 2019 05:22 AM

bump

22. 20 Posted by Puddytat on 09 Jun, 2019 08:50 PM

bump again.

23. Support Staff 21 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jun, 2019 08:07 PM

Hello. Sorry for the lag in replying.
    Yes, we rolled back the new comments' loading by default for a while, as we corrected a major bug. But we re-implemented the default last Tuesday the 4th.
    If you are having problems with the new comments generally, which is indeed a possibility, then the immediate remedy is to go to the URL for the home page which will turn the comments back to the old style.
    That link is https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/false
    Usually, it should work immediately, and then you can navigate throughout the site from there.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac