I can't sign in to DK

ZenTrainer

22 May, 2019 03:59 AM

The page opens with no ads and the top of the page looks sort of like this in the right hand corner:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join the mailing list  Help

The next line is the regular
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ news, community, whatever, search

The way I've been signing in to put my name in the search engine. then my profile pops up on the side and the top looks like this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ZenTrainer | Log Out | Join the Action Alert list! | Help

Kind of weird, no? It's 11pm now and it's been like this since 4pm. I've turned my computer on and off a few times and DK stays this way. I use internet explorer on a PC. (with a ball point pen clenched between my teeth)

1. 1 Posted by ZenTrainer on 22 May, 2019 05:07 AM

So, even though the help desk seems to know who I am because it says:

ZenTrainer from Daily Kos
    (0) Log out

When I click the Go to Daily Kos → button, I go back to daily Kos without my being signed in, no profile page, access to activity stream messages, etc.

2. 2 Posted by ZenTrainer on 22 May, 2019 03:04 PM

Normally when I come to DK, a petition pops up blocking my ability to sign in. I have to click "skip action" or some such, several times until I can get to the log in button, which is visible, just blocked by the petition.

I am not getting even the petition and there is no way to log in.

Am I explaining my self clearly enough?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 03:16 PM

I am not sure why you're not seeing the usual Login link on your page. We've been testing a variety of new features on IE without incident. But things happen, so I'm sorry you're having this block.
    Couple of options to try.
    1) Open an incognito window in IE and see if that helps any.
    2) Go directly to the login page: https://www.dailykos.com/login BUT this page will return you to the home page if it thinks you are logged in. (Trying this step 2 while you are in a new incognito window already will guarantee that won't be an issue.)
    Clearing your cookies for the site is probably also a good idea. It's likely they got borked somehow.
    If this all doesn't work, please feel free to return.

4. 4 Posted by ZenTrainer on 22 May, 2019 03:52 PM

I tried step 2 and got no log in.

What is an incognito window? (I'll be honest it literally took me 2 years to learn to cut and paste, I am no computer wiz.)

I'll clear everything when I get back from work but I think my security system blocks cookies from DK.

THANKS!!!

5. 5 Posted by ZenTrainer on 22 May, 2019 03:56 PM

I just tried typing someone else's name in the search engine to see if their profile page would come up on the side like mine does when I type my name in.

No such luck! (I could've create some havoc with that eh?)

My profile page comes up at the side. It does give me the option to log in. I'm nervous to try that (what if I can never get back in? Yikes!) but I'm going to.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 04:13 PM

So, whatever you did do, apparently it worked. I am guessing you had a messed-up cookie. Glad you succeeded.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 May, 2019 04:13 PM.

8. ZenTrainer re-opened this discussion on 22 May, 2019 11:25 PM

9. 7 Posted by ZenTrainer on 22 May, 2019 11:25 PM

No, sorry I guess I'm not being clear. It didn't work to log out, I just had to leave then to go to work.

I'm back home and when I go to DK I get the same page I described in my first comment here. There is no place for me to sign in. I have to put my name in the search engine to get tt my "home page".

10. 8 Posted by Puddytat on 22 May, 2019 11:29 PM

Zen, I use IE 11, too, and have submitted a ticket on this. Here's a sign-in workaround:

Select a diary on the Rec List or one from the front page and when it loads, all your information will display up top. You can sign in from there.

Another note, since I use the same computer, ,I leave myself signed in all the time.

Hope this helps.

11. 9 Posted by ZenTrainer on 23 May, 2019 03:15 AM

Thanks Puddytat!
    I'll give that a try. Still hope it gets fixed!

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 04:21 PM

Sorry to have misunderstood. Thanks for the comment here, Puddytat. I hope to dig into it today. Don't want to have it remain in this state.

13. 11 Posted by ZenTrainer on 30 Aug, 2019 01:21 AM

Just an update that I still can't log in to DK on a regular basis. Sometimes "log in" is an option, most often it's not.

I use Puddytats work around from above. Also, sometimes when I am logged in I'll open another diary in another window and I'm now not logged in again in that window.

14. Support Staff 12 Posted by elfling on 30 Aug, 2019 10:48 PM

It sounds like you have your settings set up to expire your cookies regularly and/or are opening the new window in private mode. That's a local choice by your browser. Our settings will allow you to stay logged in indefinitely.

ZT, your information comes up as using an older operating system and we no longer test on those versions. Microsoft is also deprecating IE - but there is a version of Edge available for your OS. You might try downloading that and seeing if it's a better experience. (Of course, there are other browser choices as well).

You might also find that it's better behaved for right now using the m. version of the site - going to m.dailykos.com to login. Then, if you like, you can change back to www and it will still know you're logged in.

15. 13 Posted by ZenTrainer on 01 Sep, 2019 04:26 PM

Hey, are you calling me old??? If you're around this Monday night please read Kitchen Table Kibitzing. I'm going to write about the other group of folks who are targeting me as old.

;-)

Thanks for the log in tips.

16. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 02 Sep, 2019 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac