Comments, Back button

fcvaguy

22 May, 2019 01:45 AM

Hi. In the new comments format. If I pull up a list of comments, either mine for example, or a list of comments using a search term, the list appears without a problem. Then I click on one of the comments in the list. I read the comment, scroll up and down a bit, and then hit my browser back button and it's stuck. It won't go back to the list page.

it seems to be intermittent in that I can't replicate it over and over. But it does happen quite often.

Safari 12.1.1

1. 1 Posted by superfly on 22 May, 2019 04:19 AM

If I could add to this, I'm unable to swipe (on my trackpad) to go back when on a page with the new comments, tried in several diaries, all the same result.

2. 2 Posted by P Carey on 22 May, 2019 10:18 AM

This is an issue I'm having as well. I am using a Mac (High Sierra 10.13.6) with Safari (version 12.0.3).

(1) The trackpad won't swipe right and go back a page. Early last night it was only when I was in the comments section or in the hiddens. This morning is seems any post I'm in requires I hit the back arrow with my curser. Also--and I don't know if this well help--if I'm in a list of comments and then click on a comment to ready it can take two (or sometimes three) clicks of the back button to get back to the list.

(2) Also (but unrelated) if I enlarge a post even slightly, I get the boxed notice that There Are No New Comments. This appears no matter whether I've read a single comment or even made it down to the comment section.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 03:09 PM

Thank you all for putting your reports of problems with the new comments here at Help Desk. If we need more detailed information to be able to replicate the issue, a necessary step in finding a solution, we will then likely split off the comment into its own thread. That way, y'all won't need to keep getting alerts to other comments posted here.
    Appreciate your input and your patience.

4. 4 Posted by fcvaguy on 22 May, 2019 03:11 PM

P Carey, you are right, when it does work, it requires two or 3 or more clicks on the back button to go back to the previous page.

5. 5 Posted by JeffW on 22 May, 2019 03:28 PM

I get no response when I try the "j" key: it doesn't jump to the next new comment.

It did work yesterday under the new comment view.

6. 6 Posted by P Carey on 22 May, 2019 06:06 PM

JeffW--you may already know or it may not be working in any event, but the "j" key has changed in the new comment version. From Elfling's post yesterday, you might want to note:

We’ve swapped the key commands so that j/k (lowercase) are now next and previous comment, and shift-J/shift-K (uppercase) are now next unread/previous unread.

We’ve added a key command 1 to go to the first comment in the story, and 2 to go to the last comment in the story.

7. 7 Posted by JeffW on 22 May, 2019 06:42 PM

The Shift-J/Shift-K commands don't work for me, either.

8. 8 Posted by fcvaguy on 22 May, 2019 09:31 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Scroll

Another observation. I'm in a diary with 134 comments. Scrolling through them isn't as smooth as it used to be. Its a very herky-jerky scroll with lots of stutter/jitter and sometimes, when scrolling down the comments, it will bounce back up a half comment or so. Very annoying!

9. 9 Posted by fcvaguy on 22 May, 2019 09:32 PM

And I know its not me, because I can scroll through these comments in this help desk thread or a long thread on Twitter, and its smooth with no jitter or bounce-back.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 09:35 PM

All right, enough other cleanup is underway so that I can attend to these particular questions. Thanks for your detailed descriptions, everyone.

I see three issues raised in this thread. One is related to the ability to return to a Perl (DK4 page) after viewing something on a Rails page (DK5), and actually there are two parts to this issue. The second concerns the change in information returned when a page is enlarged. The third concerns shift-j/k key commands.

Re the first one: Returning to a previous page in a process that involves both DK4 and DK5 pages is consistently unreliable, if you'll excuse the feeble humor. Those Perl pages are obsolete and we're doing our best to get off of them as soon as possible. So it is not surprising that the back browser arrow might not work immediately, unfortunately. Still, using the trackpad for such a shift should work, or at least should work at least as reliably as the back arrow, and from my quick check it does not. I'll ticket that issue.

As for the second, or the change in zoom somehow interfering with comments-read status: I'll investigate that more carefully. It is entirely possible, though why it would happen is something I can't answer. If it's also something I can replicate, I will also ticket it. If I need to ask for follow-up info, I'll do it separately.

The third, regarding the shift-j/k key commands, is the most puzzling since you say that it did once work for you after the new comments deploy. That feature has been a difficult one to implement generally, and the issue here might be simply part of the same chronic problem. I'll investigate, and either make a new ticket or add the information to another if there is already a related one in the works.

If you have more to say about these three issues, feel free to include them in this thread. If you encounter new problems, please start a new one. It'll help us keep a little better order here.

I should note that there are also some post-launch tickets already, some of which have been mentioned in elfling's post and comments yesterday--though this is not to tell you to go look for them, just to say that we know we're not done with the project yet. We benefited from the last couple of months of site user input, no question, but there are still some loose ends.

Thanks much for mentioning these here. And thanks also for your support of the site.

11. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 May, 2019 09:35 PM.

12. fcvaguy re-opened this discussion on 22 May, 2019 09:38 PM

13. 11 Posted by fcvaguy on 22 May, 2019 09:38 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Scroll part two

So I went to this diary with 300+ comments:
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/22/1859604/-Trump-is-melting-down-in-the-Rose-Garden-today?utm_campaign=trending

I tried scrolling through the comments fairly quickly watching the scroll bar on the right side of my screen. It would go down the side of the screen fairly quickly and then bounce back to half way down the screen. I kept scrolling and this happened about 3 or 4 times, jumping up several comments in the thread.

14. 12 Posted by P Carey on 22 May, 2019 10:36 PM

Thanks for the answers and the tickets (and humor is always welcomed).

Just to be clear (in case I wasn't), the right swipe on my trackpad doesn't work even in a new diary when trying to get back to the front page: i.e., no DK4 pages involved in that function (assuming the front page is DK5). I mentioned the "hiddens" only to let you know it wasn't working when going from a DK5 to a DK5 and attempting to return to a DK5 page AND from a DK5 to a DK4 and attempting to return to a DK5 page.

Obviously the workaround for now is to open the next page in a new window but having the return function available would be preferable.

Again, thank you.

15. 13 Posted by JeffW on 23 May, 2019 12:52 AM

I wanted to make one more point.

My earlier experience worked with just the"j" button, no shift.

Don't know if that'd important.

16. Support Staff 14 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 04:12 PM

Thank you all.
    Indeed, that trackpad issue has been ticketed, and yes, I did see it within a DK5 sequence too. But I appreciate the clarification about your process. From a more careful view of what's in the works, 1) there are some history processes involved that did change a bit; 2) the trackpad is (now) a known issue in terms of user needs; and 3) it looks like it'll be addressed soon.
    Happy to have the clarification about the history with the "j" key. What OS and browser are you using, JeffW?
    Zoom issue is on the list.

17. 15 Posted by JeffW on 23 May, 2019 06:05 PM

Windows XP. Chrome.

18. 16 Posted by JeffW on 24 May, 2019 05:30 PM

Now both "j" and "Shift-J" work, but the comment countrs reset.

19. Support Staff 17 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 May, 2019 08:38 PM

Yes, you are quite right.
    Earlier this afternoon we turned off the new comments loading by default. You may still turn them on if you like with the cookie (go to https://www.dailykos.com/comments_beta/true) but that is now the optional case. We encountered a small but significant bug that requires particular care in correcting it.
    We'll be back at it next week, swatting the new bugs!
    Thanks.

20. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 May, 2019 08:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac