Comments not posting

denig

21 May, 2019 02:30 PM

Hi! I write a comment and then click "preview" and the whole comment completely dissappears, It will let me write the comment, but not post the comment. Started this morning. Help!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2019 02:35 PM

What story are you in? Please provide a link. And is it for this story only, or others?
    We'd also like to know what operating system and browser you're using.
    Thank you.

2. 2 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 02:52 PM

Thanks you for speedy reply! That's like lightening fast.

I think I tried yesterday somewhere and had the same problem.

The diary is:
    Breaking: Dem Leaders Calling For Impeachment, Clash With Pelosi's Refusal

I flagged someone and commented.. Raptivo replied. I was attempting to respond to his comment. The link to the comment:

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1859184/73932205#comment_73932205

I am using Firefov browser and OS is XP service pack 3.
    However, when my computer wouldn't post I tried posting the comment wih my ipad (2019) and it wouldn't post either. I did still have my xp computer open on the page when I tried with the ipad.

I hope this isn't as confusing at it looks!
    Thank you!

3. 3 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 02:58 PM

I tried writing a comment to a diary (as opposed to responding to a comment in the diary) and that worked fine. So I tried agian to respond to raptivo. No luck. So I can comment, I just can't reply to a comment.

4. 4 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 03:03 PM

One more piece of info. When I click to leave the page where the reply disappeared, the little box pops up asking me if I really want to leave the page. So the page can see my previewed comment is there, but I can't.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2019 03:20 PM

That's all very helpful information. Thanks.
    Sorry, I forgot to ask you one thing. Are you using the old comments or the new ones? If you don't know, then you're using the old ones.

6. 6 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 03:25 PM

There are old comments and new comments? oh dear...

7. 7 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 03:28 PM

One more question. The time stamp on this conversation is 5 hours ahead of my time (Central time). Is it supposed be like that? Or is it me?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2019 03:34 PM

I just succeeded in posting a reply to raptavio in that spot that foiled you.
    Although the report you make of having problems on both your platforms suggests it's something on our end, not yours, I wonder if it would help if you took a few steps to clear out old data from both of your machines.
    First, log off from the site. While you are off, clear your cookies and cache for the site on both of your devices, and close and reopen your browsers when you're done. Then log back on.
    I'm not sure this will help, but it could. Computers do seem to have a mind of their own. Also, see if you can reply to ANOTHER comment, either in this story or in another.
    Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

Yes re new comments. Buckle up. :) (It should be OK but it might be a little bit of a surprise.)
    Timestamp on THIS conversation at Help Desk? Good question. We don't run the Help Desk software, and I'm not sure how they do it.

9. 9 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 03:39 PM

I clear mine out when I close the pute. So that shouldn't be a problem. But I'll give it a whirl and see what happens! Fingers crossed, knock on wood, beseeching the Goddess...
    And we're off!

10. 10 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 04:12 PM

Sadly did not work. Wait! I tried again and it's working! I don't know why.

If it was you, thank you! If it wasn't thank the goddess!

hahaha!

Thank you so much for the time and energy you spent on this!!!

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2019 04:15 PM

Oh yay!
    Sometimes one's server (network) connection is spotty, too, which is the other possible explanation for you having intermittent problems on a couple of devices. Whatever the cause, I'm glad it's resolved for you now.
    This is a critical feature for the site so we definitely want to make sure it's working as it should. Thanks for the update.

12. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 May, 2019 04:15 PM.

13. denig re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2019 04:26 PM

14. 12 Posted by denig on 21 May, 2019 04:26 PM

My pleasure. I've been able to post a few more times. So I tried to post again to the raptivo post, it still won't post. weird. I guess I won't worry about it unless it starts happening again elsewhere on kos.

15. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 May, 2019 05:30 PM

Seems like a good strategy. Meanwhile, we're now aware that you had this problem, so we'll be on the lookout for other reports of the same.
    Thanks again.

16. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 May, 2019 05:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac