No non-binary gender option under prefix list

HIda Viloria (unverified)

17 May, 2019 03:33 PM

Dear Daily KOS staff:

Thank you for all you do! I often just sign your petitions with a clock, but today I wrote a personalized message before sending re: an appeal of AUMF, and it would not allow me to send without selecting a Prefix. I looked through the list and there was not an accurate prefix for me. I am used to this from conservative sites, but I know Daily KOS supports equality for all, so I ask you to please add "Mx."--which represents Mixter, the gender neutral prefix for those who have a non-binary gender &/or non-0binary bodies (born neither male nor female, but intersex). I am a human rights activist for, and member of, both intersex and non-binary communities. I don't want to have to lie about my gender or occupation (I sometimes choose "Dr." because it is gender neutral) on these petitions., I hope that you understand why this is important and amend the list to include all citizens very soon. As you probably know, there are 9 states which offer a gender neutral marker and more to come. We shouldn't all have to lie about who we are. Thank you!
Hida Viloria, Founding Director, Intersex Campaign for Equality.

1. 1 Posted by HIda Viloria (u... on 17 May, 2019 03:43 PM

Notice the "sex" field is neither male nor female but intersex. We exist, and we need proper language to refer to us. Oxford dictionary adopted the Prefix Mx. back in 2015, I believe, for this purpose. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mx

Please let me know when you can add this, as I assume you will want to. Tx!
    Mx. Hida Viloria

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 May, 2019 09:59 PM

Hello, and thank you for raising this issue. I do understand the concern, and we here all do support the objective. It's frustrating and disappointing not to have the appropriate choice available, and in most cases the forms probably require something (however inaccurate) for the rest of the content to be accepted.
    Unfortunately, we do not control the title choices available to people who complete the letters through our site. Each elected official provides the format they permit constituents/citizens to complete, and we don't have the capacity to edit them.
    It's an issue that has arisen frequently, and our usual suggestion is to approach the legislators themselves to request such an option.
    Thanks for your advocacy.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 May, 2019 09:59 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac