Can't post a comment (AGAIN!) and can't respond to OTHERS' comments

Frenchwordsmith

07 May, 2019 04:46 AM

I thought this glitch had been fixed because everything worked as it should have last week. TONIGHT, I wanted to respond to an earlier response to one of my comments, but there's no "comment" field and, when I've attached a screenshot, it disappears by the time I'm ready to SEND it, to show you what I see (yet again). I'd LIKE to respond to another reader's comment on my comment, but CAN'T.
I'm going to try one more time to attach the screenshot -- this time in ".doc" (rather than ".docx" format) and keep my fingers crossed that you'll receive it. Can't anyone in tech. support come up with a PERMANENT solution? (I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome, FYI.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 07 May, 2019 02:52 PM

We are sorry you are having this problem. Let's check out the simplest possible answer first before referring this to the technical staff.

Thanks for sending the screenshot. You did it right and it did come through correctly.

However, it is hard to tell from the screenshot whether you are logged in to the site.

Next time this happens, after you take the screenshot of the comment you are trying to reply to, please scroll up and also take a screenshot that shows the very top right corner of the page. It will either show your screen name, or the words Log In. (If you see the words "Log In", then you should log in and see if that solves the problem.)

If you are logged in and still can't make comments, that will be an important clue for the technical staff to figure out what the next step should be.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in adding your voice to the DK discussion!

2. 2 Posted by Frenchwordsmith on 07 May, 2019 07:21 PM

Yes, I was definitely logged in before I attempted to reply to a comment
    from another reader to a previous comment I'd made.
    That was kind of dumb of me NOT to have mentioned that, yes, I WAS logged
    in. Hope you can figure out what's causing
    the glitch!

Thanks again!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 May, 2019 08:20 PM

Thank you for asking about this case.

The answer has nothing to do with you or your account, fortunately, but it is a good detail for you to know.

All Daily Kos stories close to new comments nine days after they are published. You can see when that cutoff point has been reached by looking for the presence of this note at the top of the comments: "COMMENTS ARE CLOSED ON THIS STORY." Coming to make a reply after you received notice of a reply to one of your comments, and landing on what is called a single-comment page via that link from your email, you would not have seen the full post or the notice of its closure.

But wait, you might say, if you take the time to count the days from the story's timestamp of Friday, April 26th. The person who replied to me did so on May 6th, which is ten days after the story's original posting. Why was it possible for reasonshouldrule to post a comment in the first place?

That is a good question indeed. It was possible because Laura Clawson's story was republished to the Front Page late on 4/27, which restarted the nine-day open-to-comments clock. Thus reasonshouldrule slid in just before the new deadline, while your attempt to reply proved to come too late.

Not much you could have done about it; it's simply the way things work. Most of the time, stories don't wind up with much activity so long after its publication (or republication, even) which means the situation you encountered does not often arise.

Appreciate you wanting to know what happened, and your support of the mission of the site.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 07 May, 2019 08:20 PM.

5. Frenchwordsmith re-opened this discussion on 08 May, 2019 06:37 AM

6. 4 Posted by Frenchwordsmith on 08 May, 2019 06:37 AM

Only one problem: I was trying to reply to a comment that was made within
    the last FEW days. I'd already
    asked about "archiving" your older articles and was informed that you do so
    after 9 days. My fault: I didn't
    realize the the article to which I was responding (or re-responding) had
    been published on 4/27. I get SO
    MUCH political email -- and I don't log into my email every day -- I guess
    I just didn't notice the original
    posting date. Oh, well! Thanks for your help and your detailed explanation!

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 May, 2019 05:37 PM

I know, it is a drag when it happens that a comment is made at the very end of the open period, so that there's very little time remaining for a reply. But now you know how it works in case the situation arises again.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 08 May, 2019 05:37 PM.

9. Frenchwordsmith re-opened this discussion on 08 May, 2019 06:58 PM

10. 6 Posted by Frenchwordsmith on 08 May, 2019 06:58 PM

Thanks again for all the help you've provided! NEXT time I want to comment
    or to respond to someone else's
    comment, I'll be sure it's in a CURRENT edition of Daily Kos!

11. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 08 May, 2019 11:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac