No keyboard in comments cannot copy paste either

Dave the Wave

08 Apr, 2019 11:24 PM

I cannot create new blogs because I have no keyboard activation in the main body. Nor can I comment. I posted yesterday and today but problems now. What’s the deal?

1. 1 Posted by avatarabbiehoff... on 09 Apr, 2019 06:12 AM

Did you receive a notice from admins informing you that one or more of your comments had been hide-rated? Did you acknowledge receipt of any messages? You had 4 hr-ed comments over the weekend, so you should have received those messages. If I understand it correctly, you can't post again until you acknowledge receipt. I don't know if this means you will receive a timeout for your comments on Saturday, but it wouldn't surprise me.

2. 2 Posted by Dave the Wave on 09 Apr, 2019 11:15 AM

I acknowledged the receipt of one but I don’t see more. I think that must be it. The remarks that were hide-rated were part of a pissing contest. Will each instance have a notification? Why was I able to post after I acknowledged the first but cannot post now? The comments and posts that followed it weren’t at all objectionable. The lack of transparency on removing posting privileges is a problem. It feels like “talk to the hand” coming out of the opaque management box. Now I understand why people leave this website. If someone is given a timeout it should be clear where that person can see the reason and what to do to to prevent it in the future

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 11 Apr, 2019 08:54 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking for clarification.

It is true that once a comment is hidden, then an automatic process is triggered. The user who composed the comment receives a red-box warning about the hidden comment, which must be acknowledged in order to proceed with participating on the site. That's it, in most cases; there's no other penalty associated with it. That was the situation for you.

I suspect it might have happened, coincidentally, that you also encountered the comment bug which has been plaguing all users for the past few weeks. It's Safari-related, and I'll paste in the latest information we have for users.

It's indeed been a chronic problem for our users, particularly those who use Safari on a desktop or mobile platform. Whether you are not seeing a comment box at all, or seeing something that looks like a whole array of icons not displayed in a useful form, the underlying issue is the same: the editor box is not fully loading.

Our developers have identified the source of the problem, but so far our efforts to devise a permanent and comprehensive remedy have not done the trick. It's arising for other websites, too, and unfortunately at the moment we're forced to create our own workaround for it. The developers are still working on such a fix.

Meanwhile, we have some workarounds to suggest.

First, it will help if you clear your browser cache frequently for Daily Kos-related data AND then restart your browser immediately afterwards. It is NOT necessary or useful to clear cookies, which may make this process slightly less onerous. Instructions for clearing a browser cache, either on a desktop or a mobile browser, are available in many locations online.

Second, it is also a good strategy to use a private window on Safari when you visit Daily Kos. Doing so prevents the kind of data upload from our server to your browser that elicits the misfire when you seek to comment or to post a story.

Third (which for many users could be an unwelcome or inadequate solution), you may prefer to use a different browser altogether. But there's an important detail to keep in mind. All browsers available on iOS (that is, iPhones and iPads) also must use some core features of Safari. Thus, installing Firefox or Chrome on a mobile device might not fully address the problem for you. The other two workarounds, however, will suffice.

We hope that this is helpful for you and other site users in the short term, as we pursue a better solution. We are grateful for your patience, and we thank you for your support of the mission of the site.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 11 Apr, 2019 08:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac